Should be a quick easy answer

BMW's are surprisingly inefficient in general. A good example is the 335i - takes BMW two turbos and direct injection to do with a 3L I6 engine what Nissan does with a 3.7L normally aspirated/conventionally injected V6, and for all the added complexity, there's near as makes no difference in fuel economy.

You might as well get the GTO. Parts are cheaper and if you crank up the boost on the SRT-4 to get it to match the performance of the GTO, you're going to get worse gas mileage anyway. And then you're still stuck with a FWD car.

Maybe I'm looking for the wrong vehicle. =/ lol I definitely didn't know the m3 got mileage like that.

Get the Goat.

My BMW is a naturally aspirated 3.0L 6 and it takes about 7 quarts of 10W-30 (about $50) every 5k. I've gotten an average of around 21 MPG over about 5k miles. The E36 is much more finicky as it is a performance vehicle. I wouldn't get one merely because the GTO is a much rarer car, is more efficient and you can't beat a V8 rumble. Put it on coilovers, get swaybars, ECU mods, intake/headers/exhaust and you'll be set for life.

100_1013_edited.jpg

Trust me I'm from the internet. The V6 Ford Mustang Convertible, with an automatic transmission. The first and the only choice for people who want a sports car but have no remote interest in cars or driving.

Don't get an M3, you'll pay out the ass in maintenance and insurance. For what? To look like another BMW driving insurance salesman.

I enjoy the hell out of my Terminator.

Aftermarket and parts interchangeability is HUGE. But I can understand why folks want something different.

What about an EVO or the cheap alternative - the 4g63 AWD Eclipse?