Superminis

Superminis

• Total voters

BlitzR

After 1000 or so posts BlitzR takes a step backwards (not that BlitzR has already) and makes BlitzR's first poll (I think).

So anyway, SuperMinis seem to be the new hot hatch, bringing back what hot hatches use to be, small :p and affordable. Todays hot hatches are too big and fat. Don't get me wrong, I like the Golf GTIs and Focus'es. Anyway on too what ever the options are:

Fiat Panda 100HP
06panda100hpfsidea.jpg

Ford Fiesta ST
33.jpg

Suzuki Swift Sport
22SuzAgeM0.jpg

Mini Cooper
2007minicooper.jpg

Citroen C2 VTS
citroenc2vts01.jpg

Mitsubishi Colt Ralliart
Coltralliartfrontsilver.jpg

Volkswagen Polo GTI
volkswagenpologticupedition8457_000.jpg

Theres probably cars that shouldn't belong and cars left out but, anyway. :p

I voted Panda, Swift and Polo. Panda is just great value for the money, nice and no-nonsense lightwight with a relatively small enginge that is still big enough to give it adequate performance, but it's still a bit slow-ish. Suzuki Swift Sport because it's just what hot hatches should be, small, trendy but not too trendy, fun to drive, no unnecessary extras weighing it down and again, an engine that is big enough to give it some grunt, but no german-hp-wars contender. And finally the Polo, the real successor to the Golf GTI. Even though it's VW they managed to keep it fun, small and relatively light. Combined with a few nice nostalgia from the first golf GTI (yeah, the current Golf GTI has em too, but still) makes it a very nice little car.

The Panda 100bhp is my mini-hot-hatch of choice at the moment, but I'd happily take the Swift, too.

Cooper, Swift and Fiesta ST. The Mini because it's probably the most balanced model in the Mini range, the Swift because it's probably as good as the Mini performance-wise, and the Fiesta because it's probably the sportiest of the bunch. Still, I think this isn't a completely fair comparison, because at least the Fiesta and the Polo should be in a higher category, competing against Peugeot's 207 THP or Seat's Ibiza FR/Cupra. Don't know wether you Australians get these, though :p

Panda, Cooper & Fiesta say I.

Everyone's raving about the Panda so it must be a bit special. Provided they've kept the magic from the Mk1 New Mini the Cooper is a certaintly - just so much damn fun. And the Fiesta? Same as the Panda - when all the reviews are so positive it can't be a bad thing.

Citroen C2 for me. A hot hatch has to be a 3-door car, which excludes the only other choice I'd made, the Panda. Although very capable on the road, the Mini is too much focused on styling imo. The Swift reminds me of the numerous Japanese rip offs of the GTI that flooded the markets in the 1980s but couldn't even eventually catch up with the GTI. All the others are already bigger than the Golf GTI MK I, so count them out.

Am I the only one that likes that colt ralliart?
I thought it was just the CZT but it's got evo-spec suspension and a decent appearance.

where is the none option, I don't like supermini's (in Australia as well they're largly a total rip off)

I voted for the Panda, the Fiesta and the Polo.

Of the three, I'd probly buy the Fiesta, purely because I've heard good reports about its handling (better than the Polo's), the Panda isn't available here, and it's $2000 cheaper than the Polo ($24990 vs $26990).

I haven't actually driven any of these, but based on looks and perceived fun-to-drive-ness, I voted for the Fiesta ST (c'mon, it has white stripes from the factory - WHITE STRIPES!!), Suzuki Swift and Mini Cooper.

Having driven a Fiesta ST and having owned a Fiesta Zetec-S I can honestly say the Fiesta's handling is bloody awesome and brings a smile to even the most stern of faces. There's too many Minis around, I expect the Fiat to be partially fun, but with numb steering and the same can probably be said for the Citroen.

Stripes or no stripes, its the Ford for me.

Suzie for me - have not driven any just gone on rep and looks. If I were in the market I would not turn down any of the cars listed, at least in the preliminary selection phase.

I haven't driven any of these cars so my vote is based on looks, specs and reviews ,

I vote for the Mini and Panda, c'mon you gotta love them both, especially for the supposedly large fun factor and those chunky pocket rocket look from the panda that makes you think that 100hp is quite a large amount of BHP

Fiesta ST (XR4 over here), Swift Sport and the Polo GTi for me. Lots of love for the swift i see from the poll results

HAHA I've never seen that Mitsu before.... it looks so unnecessarily hardcore.

I voted for the Panda. The MINI would also have been my choice but it's too expensive when compared to the others.

Is this Panda 4x4, or is that a different model?

I'd definately go for the Panda 100 HP.

No Boss: The Panda 100 HP is FWD. The 4x4 is another model.

BlitzR I totally agree with you. These cars are what a proper hothatch/GTI should be like.

Last edited: