What's your latest [non-technology] purchase?

Four Gislaved Nordfrost 100 in 205/55-16.

gislaved_nordfrost100__.jpg

At what point does it stop being a toy and become a shelf model?

Even the much cheaper and less complex 24 hour racer Technic model isn't really a toy once put together.

For me, when more than half of the pieces are bespoke, made specifically for this model, and can't really be used very well in rebuilding anything not shown on the box.

ZTZ3xBm.png

... this is so utterly stupid and unnecessary, it should go into toys, but it's not technology! so, it is an aluminium collar stay (yeah i didn't know this word existed) that might actually do what it's supposed to do... i have thousands of those plastic ones and they basically do nothing so i never use them and run around with all sorts of horrible collars (kickstarter campaign here).

additionally, I thought this might be a nice little gift opportunity to those of my friends that do wear a shirt from time to time, so i went for a few of them :)

edit: and i just discovered that somehow was not a gif but a series of pngs. what the hell people...
edit2: ok i replaced the picture - it doesn't help you guys, but maybe it'll act as a nice piece of clickbait :p

Last edited:
When you wear that, does your mobile phone's ringtone change to this?

Back in the pre-smartphone days, that anthem was my ringtone for years. I'm not Russian, that song kicks ass and sounds surprisingly epic on an old Nokia.

Also nice pickup on Wolfmother, I have the same set on vinyl. Amazing band, their latest album is outstanding.

ZTZ3xBm.png

... this is so utterly stupid and unnecessary, it should go into toys, but it's not technology! so, it is an aluminium collar stay (yeah i didn't know this word existed) that might actually do what it's supposed to do... i have thousands of those plastic ones and they basically do nothing so i never use them and run around with all sorts of horrible collars (kickstarter campaign here).

additionally, I thought this might be a nice little gift opportunity to those of my friends that do wear a shirt from time to time, so i went for a few of them :)

edit: and i just discovered that somehow was not a gif but a series of pngs. what the hell people...
edit2: ok i replaced the picture - it doesn't help you guys, but maybe it'll act as a nice piece of clickbait :p

The plastic stays that come with shirts are complete shit. I also hate that they just aren't inside the collar like they used to be on so many shirts I used to buy.

Then I bought a package of plastic stays, and they were SO much better. Stiffer, but only slightly thicker. And, they actually worked. Sucks that you still have to pay attention to how long the collar actually is to make sure you're not grabbing a stay that's too long, which make them lay flat, instead of staying upright.

Then I bought a package of stainless steel ones. I accidentally left a set in a shirt in the washer, and it seemed to have dinged the inside of the washer's drum somehow, which caught on a sateen-weave bed-sheet, completely shredding it in the process. OK, so I don't have a video of the stay doing it, but it's the only thing i can figure out, and the "point" of one of the stays was mashed/bent when i found it in the washer's drum after that load, and the very next load shredded my bedsheet. I also know that aluminum doesn't play with my laundry detergent very well.

ZTZ3xBm.png

I've never really though about it. And I don't think I've ever noticed/seen that little pocket for the thing. Now I have to check my shirts :D

..., and the very next load shredded my bedsheet. I also know that aluminum doesn't play with my laundry detergent very well.

Yeah, I'm trusting the fact that these are so large with their whole tail situation that I won't forget to take them out of my shirts before washing...

I've never really though about it. And I don't think I've ever noticed/seen that little pocket for the thing. Now I have to check my shirts :D

Haha, some shirts actually have the little plastic stays sown in (so the pocket ist sown shut), which is rather annoying and useless, but most shirts that I own actually do have these and they mostly go unused (because those plastic ones don't do anything anyway).

Collar holders? Really? To make sure your pretty little collar on your pretty little shirt is spot on? Really?

This world is fucking doomed.

Last edited:

*discreetly hides collar holders and tie pins*

Yeah, fuck me for actually giving a damn about what my shirt looks like instead of being all "independent" and rebelling against oppressive clothing norms or whatever the hell might be going on here. Never mind the fact that nobody's forcing me into wearing a shirt and I actually rather like wearing a shirt and prefer it to look nice instead of a horrible mess. Question: what does the fact that I am rather obviously being judged on what I like to wear tell us?

Probably nothing, because I'm almost certain Cowboy doesn't give enough of a damn to be entirely serious, but still :p

*discreetly hides collar holders and tie pins*

I need me some nice and minimalistic tie pin(s)...

Nobody is rebelling against anything, but any 'man' who actually cares enough about his appearance to need that crap, really needs to re-evaluate his position in life ....I do not expect you to understand.

Collar holders? Really? To make sure your pretty little collar on your pretty little shirt is spot on? Really?

This world is fucking doomed.

I care very little about fashion. That said, floppy collars that don't stay down, curl up, sag...well, they look sloppy. Just as a wrinkly shirt, baggy pants, etc. Or a badly-tied tie. I'm sorry that dress shirts offend you. the guys in the video clearly aren't going out to play frisbee golf or lacrosse, or work on their New beetles in their summer home garage while cranking the rock-and-roll stylings of Vampire Weekend. You know...real care-free, "man" stuff. They are wearing clothes meant to look somewhat dressy, probably for work.

Last edited:
'Looking sloppy' : the metrosexuals biggest fear everybody....

I swear to God you limp-wristed office monkey faggots would not now how to act like a man if your life depended on it.

Last edited:
Wow, who got elected and jizzed in your cornflakes?