Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Turbo boost makes me go :woot:. My God those turbo Saabs have a savage kick when you put your foot down!

Or, in other words, if your car has DRLs in the US, you are burning fuel, consuming bulb life, and emitting light pollution for no statistical improvement in safety at best - i.e., no good reason. The only vehicles that benefit from mounting and running DRLs are trucks, vans and (unmentioned by the WP excerpt) motorcycles. Motorcycles see a 23% reduction in head-on crashes when they're running DRLs, by the same study.

Burning fuel? Get LEDs.
Bulb life? See above.
Light pollution during the daytime? Right.
Concerning the statistical safety improvement, read your quote again. It says accidents involving vans and trucks are reduced when DRLs are involved. It doesn't say that the DRLs are mounted on the vans and trucks, hence it's entirely possible that using DRLs on your car reduces your risk of getting involved in an accident with a van or truck.

I agree. The only reason for leaving the rear lights off is, like I already said, to make braking lights pop-up more on the Autobahn. Since we (Finland + Scandinavia </narf> :p) don't have free speeds there is no reason leaving the rear lights off.

Don't you guys have third brake lights?

Spectre: You do realize modern LED DRLs energy consumption is close to zero? It's true that traditional halogen lamps (2x 50W in front) consume quite a lot of energy and if I remember correctly 100W electrical consumption is about 0,1l/100km increased fuel consumption. But how much do those modern DRL LEDs use?

You wouldn't use 2x55W halogen as DRLs though, for example my halogen DRLs are 2x21W I believe.

Concerning fuel, you should get roughly 1-2kWh of electricity out of a litre of petrol. Using my DRLs as an example that's enough to run them for 48 to 96 hours. At an average speed of 40km/h (based on figures from my on board computer for the last few fillups of commuting) you're looking at an additional litre of fuel every 1920 to 3840 kilometres, that'd be 0.025 to 0.05l/100km or an additional 0.18 to 0.36%.
Based on 2x5W for LED DRLs you'd have to divide these figures by four, for more highway driving the figures would go down as well.

Except in these latitudes, it can make the car invisible. Remember that the supermajority of the continental US is below the latitude (I.E., south) of Madrid, Spain.

If I interpret the video correctly your point is that using any kind of forward illumination makes you invisible to people looking into a low setting/rising sun?

If that's the case then this problem should be much greater in higher latitudes such as Scandinavia due to longer durations of such low-sun scenarios. The closer you get to the equator the shorter the rising/setting period gets. Close to the poles you can have weeks of 24/7 low-sun driving. I wonder how they survive...

Then you'd want fog lights, not high-beam based DRLs (the most common type) bouncing quite a lot of light output back into your face.

Must be your weird DRL placement then, mine are integrated as a second lower-power bulb in the fog light housing with their own little reflectors.

A = DRL bulb
B = front fog light bulb

Do we honestly need automatic headlights?

I don't, my car's Danish. Unlike German cars it does not keep the markers on when you remove the key with the switch turned to low beams, so it just stays there for the winter.

Last edited:
Don't you guys have third brake lights?

You wouldn't use 2x55W halogen as DRLs though, for example my halogen DRLs are 2x21W I believe.

Concerning fuel, you should get roughly 1-2kWh of electricity out of a litre of petrol. Using my DRLs as an example that's enough to run them for 48 to 96 hours. At an average speed of 40km/h (based on figures from my on board computer for the last few fillups of commuting) you're looking at an additional litre of fuel every 1920 to 3840 kilometres, that'd be 0.025 to 0.05l/100km or an additional 0.18 to 0.36%.
Based on 2x5W for LED DRLs you'd have to divide these figures by four, for more highway driving the figures would go down as well.

Third brake light doesn't really help in situations where unlit rear lights help you to notice somebody is braking, because in those situations the cars are really far away and you can't really count the number of lights per car. I mean situations in Germany when you're driving pretty quickly and then all of a sudden the traffic in front of you turns to Stau. When the horizon front of you turns from boring shades of grey (you really do have a wild imagination for car colors in Germany! :p) to bright red you do get the message to slow down pretty quickly. I'm not sure if average driver would react any slower if the cars had not-so-bright red rear lights on all the time, but at least now it is easy to spot if somebody is braking. But like I said, I don't feel that advantage anywhere outside unrestricted Autobahns.

Concerning fuel, most of Finnish cars are old and lack modern DRLs. So we do burn the two 55W driving lights all the time in addition to couple of 5W bulps in the back. That might have some impact in fuel economy, but at least for me the increased safety outweights the increased fuel consumption. Anyway 120-130W increase is pretty minimal compared to AC systems for example.

Third brake light doesn't really help in situations where unlit rear lights help you to notice somebody is braking, because in those situations the cars are really far away and you can't really count the number of lights per car. I mean situations in Germany when you're driving pretty quickly and then all of a sudden the traffic in front of you turns to Stau. When the horizon front of you turns from boring shades of grey (you really do have a wild imagination for car colors in Germany! :p) to bright red you do get the message to slow down pretty quickly. I'm not sure if average driver would react any slower if the cars had not-so-bright red rear lights on all the time, but at least now it is easy to spot if somebody is braking. But like I said, I don't feel that advantage anywhere outside unrestricted Autobahns.

That's what hazards are for, we use them to highlight the tail of a Stau.

Concerning fuel, most of Finnish cars are old and lack modern DRLs. So we do burn the two 55W driving lights all the time in addition to couple of 5W bulps in the back. That might have some impact in fuel economy, but at least for me the increased safety outweights the increased fuel consumption. Anyway 120-130W increase is pretty minimal compared to AC systems for example.

Lights are the wrong place to start saving fuel, indeed. Replacing them with higher-efficiency ones in new cars is fine, leaving them off to save fuel as per Spectre's ecomental cousin doesn't make sense. Driving habits, speed, short trips, A/C, wide tyres, tall SUVs, and the like each outweigh lights.

But I hope you press the brake pedal before reaching the hazard indicator? Seeing red lights prepares you to act.

But I hope you press the brake pedal before reaching the hazard indicator? Seeing red lights prepares you to act.

Yup, you brake first and then turn on the hazards. However, in your scenario of other cars being too far away to recognize the third brake light that leaves enough time to prod the hazard button. Depending on your car, hard braking might even trigger them automagically :)

Every time people brake unnecessarily I see red.

:drums:

:nod: here you can see the little 2 in the top right corner for the long-term trip storage, 1 for short-term auto-reset-after-two-hours:

Mine has the same, switchable with a short press of the reset button (it actually cycles between 1, 2 and screen off), but my dad's A6 has all the info in one "layer" and just the number changes. Of course not all the information makes sense to be duplicated, so only the average consumption and 2 other stats are there (with a number 2).

FULL DISCLOSURE: My sister crashed my car. It may or may not have to get written off.

Mine has the same, switchable with a short press of the reset button (it actually cycles between 1, 2 and screen off), but my dad's A6 has all the info in one "layer" and just the number changes. Of course not all the information makes sense to be duplicated, so only the average consumption and 2 other stats are there (with a number 2).

For me it duplicates average consumption, distance, ignition on time, and average speed based on the former two. No screen off setting though.

FULL DISCLOSURE: My sister crashed my car. It may or may not have to get written off.

I hope she'll be okay. Also, how's your sister? :lol:

She's fine. Her manual skills aren't great yet (she got her license a few weeks ago) and gave it a bit too much juice going in to an intersection and gave a car going right on red a little love tap. The bumper is torn clean off. I haven't seen the car yet but prospects are grim because it isn't worth much on its own.

Guess who's stepmom likes the dodge caliber....this guy's!

:p we saw it as we pulled into a restaurant just now. It was a gold loaded one. I laughed as soon as she asked what it was.

Oh, turns on red are legal in America. Weird, I know.

Yeah, I was aware of that. We have legal right turns on red as well (requires a small green arrow sign next to the light though), but these must be treated as a stop sign... so it's your responsibility to make sure you can safely turn. Anything else sounds weird to me because the others have a green light.

^ means you may stop at red, and then proceed to turn right carefully.

Last edited:
So it happened like this according to my dad: Light turns green for my sister while this guy makes his way around the corner as his light turns red, trying to make so he'd get round before having to stop first. My sister, being touchy on the clutch, floors it so she'l make it in to first without stalling and overcooks it, nailing the right end of the front bumper on this guys left rear buttock. Somehow this whole thing rips my bumper to shreds (I'm not sure I understand how) and now it's sitting at the autobody place.