Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

I would rather got back to the 850 ramblings than this Camry nonsense

Or the leg-humping of minivans.

This is a car-oriented forum, people! The minivan is just announcing to the world, "I've given up."

I just bought some 2013 Grand Caravans for work (fleet) to replace some SUVs. They are the most practical vehicle to have for commercial use
I wouldn't go that far. I'd say they're the most practical vehicle to have for a multipurpose vehicle pool, but if your industry allows you to focus in on specific use cases, you can get way more practical.

This is a car-oriented forum, people! The minivan is just announcing to the world, "I've given up."

And using a lifted suv for grocery shopping is announcing that you have a small penis and need to compensate for it.

Reactions: TC

I disagree, to me it announces that you're sensible and can see past the appearance of a "cool" image to drive a vehicle that makes your everyday life easier compared to the other "more fashionable" alternatives available to you. It's better than cramming 4 kids + a stroller in what I like to call "compromise boxes" AKA most midsize crossovers with pitiful cargo space, annoying swing-out doors that dent other cars if a kid/tween as much as looks at them the wrong way and usually worse driving dynamics.

Parents who are secure enough in themselves to drive a van because it works for them and not pick a compromise choice due to the neighbors perceptions are good people in my book.

Last edited:
Reactions: TC
And using a lifted suv for grocery shopping is announcing that you have a small penis and need to compensate for it.

I typically use the motorcycle for daily trips, or Kiki and I consolidate the trips and both take the Taurus. I pretty much keep the lifted SUV (and it's only 2" of lift, hardly noticeable unless you see it parked next to a stock one) for recreation and utility whenever possible. It's hardly a bro-dozer.

I disagree, to me it announces that you're sensible and can see past the appearance of a "cool" image to drive a vehicle that makes your everyday life easier compared to the other "more fashionable" alternatives available to you. It's better than cramming 4 kids + a stroller in what I like to call "compromise boxes" AKA most midsize crossovers with pitiful cargo space, annoying swing-out doors that dent other cars if a kid/tween as much as looks at them the wrong way and usually worse driving dynamics.

Parents who are secure enough in themselves to drive a van because it works for them and not pick a compromise choice due to the neighbors perceptions are good people in my book.

I would still rather have a wagon than a van. I would be all over an AWD Ford Flex with an Ecoboost, and it does everything a van does but without being a van.

I drove a company SUV to a job site today purely because it was less paperwork than figuring out how to charge mileage from my own car. It was a Trailblazer, and I think I actually lucked out. The other company cars are a base model ~08 Sienna and some small GM pickup.

In no way did I need an SUV to drive 12 miles down a major 4 lane road and park at a church / college though.

I just bought some 2013 Grand Caravans for work (fleet) to replace some SUVs. They are the most practical vehicle to have for commercial use- Carry passengers? Put seats up. Carry cargo? Seats down. Combo? Mix and match. You don't need to instruct people on how to operate the features- Stow&Go seats have numbers, navigation is clearly labeled, and the visibility makes it fantastic for urban driving.

First comment I get is when handing the keys over is typically "a MINIVAN? Seriously? UGH.. can't I have a suburban or explorer instead?". When they get back they retract any complaints and add comments about how comfortable and easy to drive it is.. and the next time they need a vehicle, they request the GC OVER the other vehicles in the fleet.
I would rather walk....

- - - Updated - - -

I would still rather have a wagon than a van. I would be all over an AWD Ford Flex with an Ecoboost, and it does everything a van does but without being a van.

Basically that, you can have a wagon and do pretty much the same thing...

Walking 120 miles over taking a minivan? Whatever floats your boat. We also have an assortment of avengers/fusions/sonatas/focus for the normal use where they don't need to carry 7 people or equipment.

Walking 120 miles over taking a minivan? Whatever floats your boat. We also have an assortment of avengers/fusions/sonatas/focus for the normal use where they don't need to carry 7 people or equipment.

Well OK I'd probably have to run instead.

I do like the Fusion, especially the 2013 model styling.

I have a sporty-ish car, a '92 Nissan NX with the 2.0 4, with many mods over the years to make it handle and also a minivan, a '05 Ford Freestar. It has a 4.2L V6. I had a '92 Ford Minivan until last year (an Aerostar), but at 400,000kms, and original everything but transmission, I started wanting something with more life left to give.

I once actually said "death before minivan" but they are good all-rounders. They ferry kids well with all their gear, mine tows our tent trailer without complaint (this is the real reason we have it...a cushy vacation vehicle that eats up miles and miles of freeway) and it's not bad a handler now that I've put wider rims and tires, but it's no sports car, nor do I drive it like one.

The car is small, only barely fits the 3 of us but I love it to bits. It was one of the ultimate point and shoot devices in '92 that didn't cost an arm and a leg to buy. Even now though many cars can outmuscle it, it still is fun.

I need both in my life to suit both parts of me. I am saving for a replacement for the Nissan (just like I did for the minivan). I'm in no hurry though. The car only has 300,000kms. :D (2nd engine direct from Japan, new transmission with reworked gears, etc etc etc.

That video is a classic!

I saw a 1980s Alfa Guilietta 1.6 today a few streets away, keeping my eye out for a for sale sign. I certainly wouldn't turn down a bit of classic Alfa ownership frustration pleasure if the opportunity arose. :D