The General Motorbikers Discussion Thread

It's naive to think that this couldn't happen to someone obeying the speed limit. Of course it's far less likely, but there is always that chance. It's just the risk a motorcyclist takes being so open to the elements.

It's naive to think that this couldn't happen to someone obeying the speed limit. Of course it's far less likely, but there is always that chance. It's just the risk a motorcyclist takes being so open to the elements.

Of course it can happen, but not with this severity. Hell, I was taken out at 15 under the limit just a couple weeks ago.

reposted from my motorcycle thread in off-topic. I think these might be interesting. Does anyone have any experience with them or hear about them?

http://www.compacc.com/prod.cfm/cid/1001014/pid/12590

This looks interesting. I have been looking for some casual or cargo pants I can wear that have armor included and there don't seem to really be any. I can find some with kevlar or leather weave but no armor in the knees or hips. These look like that can be worn under pants and the armor would probably stay in place better.

http://www.bohn-armor-pants.com/ws1/...g/?prod=BGLA-G

Thank you!! :clap:

So.. Yesterday was the first time i'd ridden in the rain. It was different! :lol: .. The back slipped a few times as i was going around corners. Also, the inability to see anything due to a misty visor and droplets made for some interesting situations! :|

If you are at speed, turn your head from side to side. The wind will push the droplets off the visor.

If you are at speed, turn your head from side to side. The wind will push the droplets off the visor.

Ahh.. I will try this! Cheers man..

Of course it can happen, but not with this severity. Hell, I was taken out at 15 under the limit just a couple weeks ago.

Well, the funny thing is:

I have never ever talked to a motorbike rider who admitted to have done something wrong. According to every single one I spoke to, they always keep to the speed limit :)lol:), they never overtake when it's risky :)lol:) and when an accident happens, it's always the fault of a car driver who was not looking.

In reality, though, I have never ever encountered a motorbike rider on the road who stuck to the speed limit. Never ever did I encounter one who did not overtake risky and did not think he was the speed king on his machine. I have never seen a single one on the road ever who behaved rational on his machine. Well, except for some elderly ones on Harleys maybe...

Strange, huh? Where do all those lunatics come from, when everyone is behaving well on the road?

Maybe it's a problem with perception. Maybe the helmet cuts the brain off from reality... :mrgreen:

Anyway, to celebrate the start of the motorbike season, German SPIEGEL Online magazine has posted a reminder of what might happen, when you run out of talent you never had and out of luck you never deserved:

http://www.spiegel.de/video/video-30499.html

You don't need to understand German to get the message...

So.. Yesterday was the first time i'd ridden in the rain. It was different! :lol: .. The back slipped a few times as i was going around corners. Also, the inability to see anything due to a misty visor and droplets made for some interesting situations! :|

Does your bike still have the shitty Sakura tyres? If it does I would change them ASAP. They are an absolute pile of shit and downright dangerous in the rain. I put Michelin Pilot Sporty on mine and it makes a world of difference. I think I paid about ?64 for the pair and about ?10 fitting.

Lift your visor. Lol.
Is there anything you can do to clear the droplets off your face when going slowly?

:p

EDIT: While on the subject of protective equipment I almost became a target for the first time today. A bird flew across the road and I could see a distinct small white bomb fall in my path. Luckily for me the bird's aim sucked. Yet another reason to go full face: protection from bird poo.

Last edited:
The third video, where the guy hits the truck head-on happened in Brazil.....scary. :|

Is there anything you can do to clear the droplets when going slowly?

Speed up? Some touring gloves have a squeegee blade on the thumb to wipe off.

Well, the funny thing is:

I have never ever talked to a motorbike rider who admitted to have done something wrong. According to every single one I spoke to, they always keep to the speed limit :)lol:), they never overtake when it's risky :)lol:) and when an accident happens, it's always the fault of a car driver who was not looking.

In reality, though, I have never ever encountered a motorbike rider on the road who stuck to the speed limit. Never ever did I encounter one who did not overtake risky and did not think he was the speed king on his machine. I have never seen a single one on the road ever who behaved rational on his machine. Well, except for some elderly ones on Harleys maybe...

Strange, huh? Where do all those lunatics come from, when everyone is behaving well on the road?

Maybe it's a problem with perception. Maybe the helmet cuts the brain off from reality... :mrgreen:

Anyway, to celebrate the start of the motorbike season, German SPIEGEL Online magazine has posted a reminder of what might happen, when you run out of talent you never had and out of luck you never deserved:

http://www.spiegel.de/video/video-30499.html

You don't need to understand German to get the message...

There are many safe riders and some dangerous ones. I have fucked up a couple times and been lucky enough to not wreck.

There are many riders who boast of their stupidity (AKA: "skillz").

Does your bike still have the shitty Sakura tyres? If it does I would change them ASAP. They are an absolute pile of shit and downright dangerous in the rain. I put Michelin Pilot Sporty on mine and it makes a world of difference. I think I paid about ?64 for the pair and about ?10 fitting.

Yep I still do! Someone suggested the exact same tyres to me before. Do places like kwik-fit do motorbikes? I.e. ..ride away in 20mins? I don't really have the time to leave the bike at a garage for a considerable amount of time. :|

Use some Rain-X or whatever its called on your visor (same as your windscreen). And also use some anti-fogging agent on the inside (possibly the same product can do both). Works a charm.

Some helmets have better systems for clearing fog than others. The one I have now I can just pop it open a fraction to clear it.

Yep I still do! Someone suggested the exact same tyres to me before. Do places like kwik-fit do motorbikes? I.e. ..ride away in 20mins? I don't really have the time to leave the bike at a garage for a considerable amount of time. :|

I bought the tyres myself then just dropped the wheels off at a local garage. They could have done them in about 20 minutes but I actually picked them up the following day.