The General Motorbikers Discussion Thread

^ I forgot to mention this before but it's good to see you're already looking for a new bike. :)

More about the gear, I've noticed that I pick out lighter colored cars before dark ones so I would assume that higher visibility carries over to helmets. Be sure to get gear you're comfortable in. If it's uncomfortable you'll be less likely to want to wear it and that's no good at all. The best advice about gear that I've ever heard is to pick stuff you would feel safe in if you had to jump out of a moving car. Dress for the crash.

Admittedly my gear could be a little better and I'm working on improving my collection of riding apparel.

Thought it'd post this, it's from the worlds biggest MC race Gotland grand national! I'm going to participate in it this autumn/winter!!

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xul_iLEvGBk&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

More about the gear, I've noticed that I pick out lighter colored cars before dark ones so I would assume that higher visibility carries over to helmets. Be sure to get gear you're comfortable in. If it's uncomfortable you'll be less likely to want to wear it and that's no good at all. The best advice about gear that I've ever heard is to pick stuff you would feel safe in if you had to jump out of a moving car. Dress for the crash.

Admittedly my gear could be a little better and I'm working on improving my collection of riding apparel.

Thats actually what my mind set has been regarding my gear.. So much so that i've actually convinced myself now that I WILL be crashing. :lol: ..Actually, i'm not even joking..

Though i suppose it's better than convincing myself i won't and go out with little or no protection..

Though i suppose it's better than convincing myself i won't and go out with little or no protection..
I think you've got the right mindset about it. Similarly, I like to tell myself that all the cars are out to get me, or can't see me, or whatever. It's kind of fun to make a game out of not getting hit by sorority girls and Buicks.

That was a tip a guy from work gave me who's been riding bikes for 40 years now.

You just have to imagine that everyone is trying to kill you and that they will if they can. He knows this all to well as he was the guy i talked about earlier in the thread who got hit by a car, was put in a coma for two weeks and had to learn to walk and talk again.

Well, had my introduction lesson today.

Not much exciting happened, but never the less I had tons of fun. Simple braketests, finding your balance, low speed turns etc. On the way back to the driving school I sat on the back and the instructor opened the taps a little bit, 90km/h in the city in the blink of an eye. :blink:

Then came the unpleasant surprise, it's going to cost 2.5x times as much as I had thought it would. Meaning most of my savings will be gone, leaving no money to buy a bike afterwards. :|

Therefore I think it's better for me to wait until I get a proper job.

Ok, so i've decided on what helmet i'm getting..

bulldog.jpg

bulldogback.jpg

I know it's a Nitro so it's not the best make, but i really want something British orientated and i think this looks excellent for what it is!..:D I'll not keep this for too long though, just until i can afford the proper patriot by Shoei. :|

My open face helmet is a Nitro and I like it. It's comfortable and the paint is excellent. Best of all it feels more expensive than it actually is. Good value for money. Although I'm not sure how much use I'm going to get out of it now that I picked up a full face helmet as well.* I feel much safer, it's quieter, warmer when it's cool outside, and there's not so much wind annoying the heck out of me on long rides. Plus I think it looks a lot better on me than my old one. Guess what color it is! :stig: :p

*Thanks to Blind_Io for convincing me to go full face. Your many posts about them coupled with a local accident where a rider's face hit the curb and sent him to intensive care did it for me. I've gone from being completely against full face to not wanting to ride without one.

The biggest reason was that they made me feel claustrophobic and I never feel that way with anything else. When I was trying on helmets I literally couldn't stand having an open face on for longer than a few seconds. The helmet I have now has white padding and I think that makes it feel bigger inside so I don't feel so cramped up.

Another reason was that I liked feeling the wind in my face and that if you had a full face you might as well be in a car. I thought that before I started taking hour or longer rides at 60mph. Even with my open face's shield down the wind still beats me to death.

This is a good reason to go full face.

Do NOT click if you have a weak stomach!

One more warning for the slow;

THIS IS A GRUESOME PICTURE!

DO NOT CLICK TO VIEW IF YOU DON'T WANT TO SEE IT!

motorcycle.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
This is a good reason to go full face.

Do NOT click if you have a weak stomach!
Damnit, my curiousity always gets the better of me. At least now I'm not hungry for lunch. I don't even know how you'd survive something like that ...

So.. NATURALLY i'd assume infraction in 3...2...

<_<

So.. NATURALLY i'd assume infraction in 3...2...

<_<

Infraction? You talking about me?

The warning and spoiler are there for a reason, if you don't want to look, don't click.

They're the kind of pictures that should be shown to kids just before they start driver training.

One more warning: gruesome picture.

When I took my driver education course they showed us a video of what could happen if you mess up. Twisted metal, blood everywhere, brain matter on the roadway, the usual. What would have been far more effective would have been to have used that same amount of time teaching us how to recover from slides and spins. But I guess that wasn't important enough or it would encourage us to go do donuts in parking lots. :rolleyes:

Things were much different in the MSF course. There was no gruesome brutality and we spent our time learning how to correct mistakes because even the most experienced riders get into trouble sometimes. That's probably why I liked the MSF so much more than driver education.

http://img128.imageshack.**/img128/516/mcclurems1.jpg

Hi. I'm Troy McClure, you might remember me from such driver's education films as "The Decapitation of Larry Leadfoot" and "Alice's Adventures through the Windshield Glass."

I was looking at that one too but they didn't have it in my size. :( I like mine so far. It's lightweight so it's comfortable to wear and the armor feels pretty sturdy. If you're looking for a real cold weather jacket this probably isn't the one for you because if it's anything like mine it's fairly thin. But it's hard to go wrong for the price. Where else are you going to get a decent armored jacket for $40? It looks really good too!

Infraction? You talking about me?

The warning and spoiler are there for a reason, if you don't want to look, don't click.

They're the kind of pictures that should be shown to kids just before they start driver training.

One more warning: gruesome picture.

I posted a funny picture that was NSFW. I gave a warning and put it in a spoiler tag.. but that didn't stop me from getting an infraction. <_<

I was looking at that one too but they didn't have it in my size. :( I like mine so far. It's lightweight so it's comfortable to wear and the armor feels pretty sturdy. If you're looking for a real cold weather jacket this probably isn't the one for you because if it's anything like mine it's fairly thin. But it's hard to go wrong for the price. Where else are you going to get a decent armored jacket for $40? It looks really good too!

Yeah I didn't think it would be a good cold weather jacket from the looks of it. Do you think it is alright for the 40-50 degree temps we get in the mornings around here sometimes?