Ownership Verified: 1965 Ford Anglia

I bet the correct filter is hard to find, so the PO just macgyvered something. A mild case of FPO (fucking previous owner) syndrome.

I once came across an old Datsun-Nissan Bluebird with an air filter that was so badly clogged from dirt and grime/oil that the throttle jammed open if you gave it too much gas. No idea how, probably because it created a vacuum of some kind. It was particularly interesting because the car was an automatic. :lol: Had to knock it into neutral and turn the engine off every once in a while.

Haha, that sounds quite the issue. I've had a few cases of FPO so far, including discovering yesterday that the whole filter housing is wrong, so on the look out for one of those next. The propshaft was an FPO issue as well, had been hammered into shape... :blink:

Still, getting better now!

Today:
Painted up an oil filler cap that came from Oulton Autojumble for ?3
Show dates - many
Continued cleaning the interior
Freed off and cleaned the seatbelts
New dynamo bolt as the old one was stripped
Bit more wax on the back end

anglia34.jpg

anglia35.jpg

anglia36.jpg

That's pretty cool, but wayyyyyyyyyyy overpriced. Besides a 'Lotus Anglia' for me has to look like a Lotus Cortina. Ermine white with Sherwood green please!

You're right, that looks pretty cool.

Small jobs: Fitting the filler cap, second layer of wax, refitting the flasher unit correctly into the dash, polishing the glass and new rubber! (Goodbye mismatched, perished, 'Hangyong Ditchfinders').

anglia37.jpg

anglia38.jpg

Nice pics, that van looks good makes and you wonder how many restored saloons & vans, etc., are still out there. Never see any around here, last Anglia saloon I saw was in Denmark about ten years ago. (A yellow one.)

:smile:

Today:
Removed the sway bar, removed the bushes from it, cleaned off the 47 years of oil and painted it
Fitted new front brake pipes & all the associated bleeding etc.

bar3.jpg

Maybe these Anglias do fly after all?
bar1.jpg

Cleaned up the bar
bar2.jpg

Trial fitting the bushes
bar5.jpg

Painted the bar
bar4.jpg

New brake pipes
bar6.jpg

The bush hall of horrors

Don't worry about all the surface rust, we be treated in time.
Tomorrow: Assume the sway bar has dried, refit bushes and test drive car!

Last edited:
When I saw you mention bushed I was expecting lots of pictures of you trying to get the old ones out with hack saws and fire, but they didn't look too troublesome. I reckon you'll be OK with the paint in our heatwave too.

Anyway I'm now jealous. There's a classic car meet I'd like to go to this week but I don't think they have anywhere for me to hide the Discovery. :(

When I saw you mention bushed I was expecting lots of pictures of you trying to get the old ones out with hack saws and fire, but they didn't look too troublesome. I reckon you'll be OK with the paint in our heatwave too.

Anyway I'm now jealous. There's a classic car meet I'd like to go to this week but I don't think they have anywhere for me to hide the Discovery. :(

Yep, I was expecting far worse, they pretty much popped out. (With the help of Mr. Hammer and Mrs. Prybar). If you want to go to classic shows without the hassle of a classic, get an MX5. I swear every classic car show I go to has some form of MX5 club displaying NC MX5s for some reason. :p

Today:
Removed the sway bar, removed the bushes from it, cleaned off the 47 years of oil and painted it
Fitted new front brake pipes & all the associated bleeding etc.

Painted the bar
bar4.jpg

New brake pipes
bar6.jpg

The bush hall of horrors

Don't worry about all the surface rust, we be treated in time.
Tomorrow: Assume the sway bar has dried, refit bushes and test drive car!

Really impressed you are doing the work yourself, it is the only sensible thing to do with a classic car. (Unless you are seriously financially well off.)

That and also having a "getting about" car, for all the time when you need need to have the Anglia in bits.

:smile:

What a day. Serves me right for being cocky about yesterday's ease I suppose.

First thing's first, put the sway bar back in, this look a bit of levering as you suspect, but eventually it popped in.
Second, time to tackle the rear brake hose, switched over, did some bleeding etc, went for a test drive. Brakes were a bit spongy, so we thought we'd take her down to a mates' garage with a ramp to make things a little kinder. Re bled, went for another drive, during which the pedal got worse and worse. (At this time, on arriving home, I discovered the hard way what a thumb print of DOT4 does to paintwork, luckily, you can hardly notice it now). Bit of poking around, and the rear brake pipe has a pinhole, one of the last non-copper lines on the car. Out comes the brake pipe making kit, new one made and in, and the third bleeding of the day. Another test drive, to the chippy, and we're good. (Except the starter jammed for the first time in weeks outside the chippy, and I had to push off... Will lubricate that up and see if it gets freer tomorrow).
bar7.jpg

bar8.jpg

bar9.jpg

bar10.jpg

Good news is, corners much more level now, the brake pipe didn't go while we were in the middle of nowhere, and the brakes are more responsive as well!

Another little Anglia meet tonight!

First up, met Dick at Shap and a quick (by 997cc standards) run over the fells to meet Dean.
more1.jpg

Turned up in Morecambe
more2.jpg

The cars kept gathering...
more3.jpg

The Sweeney arrived
more5.jpg

And a 'scort
more12.jpg

more4-1.jpg

more6.jpg

more7.jpg

more8.jpg

more9.jpg

more10.jpg

more11.jpg

Quick change of scenery to Morrisons
more14.jpg

more13.jpg

(No comments on straight line parking please)
And then home!
more15.jpg

...Where 997cc shows its disadvantages...

Today:
Fitted the new starter
Cleaned up some chrome
Refitted a mirror onto the glass this time, due to, er, a 'slippage' onto the fast lane of the M6 of the last one...
Stripped and started to paint a correct air filter

anglia39.jpg

anglia40.jpg

anglia41.jpg

You'll also notice I've had to install some oil granules... :lol:

As nice as your Anglia is, I've got to say, I really properly like that estate one, in fact I want one just like it now.

I like the estates as well, that one looked pretty lovely with the rack and Lotus steels. Here's another pic I took:

estate.jpg

Most Anglia owners end up with either a van or an estate as a second. If I had the funds (which I don't) I'm still torn as to what I'd go for.

A mk1 granada. :)

'Tis actually a very early Consul GT (No-frills Granada), which made it a tad lighter than a Granada as it didn't have any of the luxuries, and thus, faster! Hence why that particular car is an ex-police car. One of only two, I think, that are left. Just come out of a ~1.5 Year restoration and looks marvellous!

granny2.jpg

granny5.jpg

Regarding the Anglia:
Not too much today, more waxing, polishing etc.
Finishing up the air filter I picked up at Morecambe. Looks good so far!