The Android thread

Wait for official updates? What is that? :p

Some of us like to keep our warranties intact. :rolleyes:

My 12 months are already up. :p

Also, EVERY SINGLE TIME I needed warranty on electronics, they found a way to not honour it, so manufacturers might as well shove their warranties up their asses.

HTC phones have a 24 month warranty. I used it twice on my Desire and they honoured it both times without any problems. Some Desires (including mine) had an issue with overheated batteries sending them into an endless cycle of shutting down and rebooting. Mrs stiggie's N97 Mini had a software problem around the same time and Nokia refused to fix it, saying that it had gotten wet at some point, based on an interior sticker changing colour. We knew it hadn't ever been wet. The N97's crappy resistive touchscreen was always pissing her off anyway so we just replaced it with a Wildfire.

HTC phones have a 24 month warranty. I used it twice on my Desire and they honoured it both times without any problems. Some Desires (including mine) had an issue with overheated batteries sending them into an endless cycle of shutting down and rebooting. Mrs stiggie's N97 Mini had a software problem around the same time and Nokia refused to fix it, saying that it had gotten wet at some point, based on an interior sticker changing colour. We knew it hadn't ever been wet. The N97's crappy resistive touchscreen was always pissing her off anyway so we just replaced it with a Wildfire.

Oh, so Nokia uses the "mositure damage" card in Australia too?
I vowed to never buy or own a Nokia product again after my phone?s screen died 2 months after purchase and they refused warranty citing the same sticker bullshit. A quick search on Google showed me over 50(!) different people complaining about the same ruse to refuse a warranty fix, on various models and issues. Don?t even get me started on the bluetooth headset by Nokia that lasted 15 days and ALSO had an entire website dedicated to people pissed off about it breaking at the EXACT SAME SPOT on everyone?s pair.

I can?t say the same for ALL manufacturers, but about Nokia I can say NEVER AGAIN.
HTC, on the other hand, has a good reputation here, too bad they?re practically non-existent.

Tip of the hat to Samsung for making good with their promise. How heavily skinned is their version of ICS? I suspect the international version will get the update first, then followed by all the US variants (though god knows how long that would take).

Tip of the hat to Samsung for making good with their promise. How heavily skinned is their version of ICS? I suspect the international version will get the update first, then followed by all the US variants (though god knows how long that would take).

Its TouchWiz 4.0 with tweaks specific to ICS and its features. The carrier branded variants will take longer than the updates to unlocked devices pushing out now, but that's more the carrier's testing and stuff more than Samsung.

My visual voicemail requires a Sprint app to work, and there are a couple of other services I'd rather not lose, so I'll hold out. Google Voice was the only solution I could find using custom ROMs on my old phone once Android advanced to the point that the Sprint app wouldn't run (though I suppose I could have tried one from a newer phone).

Now why the hell doesn't the One X (ie the flagship) get the same treatment?

Off topic - Is there a way to sync Facebook calendars on a Nexus device? Stupid google not allowing facebook sync...

Last edited:
Off topic - Is there a way to sync Facebook calendars on a Nexus device? Stupid google not allowing facebook sync...
It's a business decision - and a smart one at that.

But to answer your question: I think there are several fb sync apps in the Market.

They said it doesn't need a case. Does that mean it is scratch resistant?

I keep my phone in the same pocket as my keys.

They say its scratch resistant. Guess we'll see when reviews come out.

I believe so.

Massive throbbing WANT.

A One X with a slide out qwerty....I'd bite off my own pinky for one.

HTC One S seems to be postponed due to production problems with the Snapdragon S4 chip.
Over here the release date is April 30, for now.

HTC One S seems to be postponed due to production problems with the Snapdragon S4 chip.
Over here the release date is April 30, for now.

Crap. Vodafone.de promised "early- to mid-April" last time I asked in the shop. Damn it, I want a new phone...

Hmm. HTC one... man I really, really want one. Most likely the S but the X would be nice.

Last edited: