My new racing cockpit (G25)

chilicoke

Car(s)
'07 Honda S2000
***12/23/09 Long update on bottom of page 4***

Some of you might remember seeing my self-built GT4 cockpit in my earlier posts, (here it is for those of you who have not):
IMG_3795.jpg

Now GT4 is old new and GT5 Prologue is out in it's high-def glory, I was left in a dilemma; either enjoy it down stair where my high def TV is and sacrifice my cockpit's seating position, or play it upstairs with my cockpit but only in standard definition (52" non-widescreen Sony CRT, that shoe box-size TV picture is no longer there).

Since Prologue's Japanese release, I had been playing with my G25 set up on a spare desk and an Ikea armchair, not the most stable/comfortable set up but it was passable.

As soon as summer started few weeks ago, the part of me that love to build stuff took control and I decided to build another cockpit that's even better than the previous one.

This is what I ended up with:

IMG_3302.jpg

IMG_3305.jpg

IMG_3306.jpg

IMG_3307.jpg

Video of it in action (before I put in the top panel):
[YOUTUBE]yQ5JA7-rl4I[/YOUTUBE]

The dimensions such as wheel, pedal, shifter, and seat were replicated off Honda S2000's cockpit. Although it looks very similar to my old cockpit, much has been revised from seating position to overall height designed to match my TV perfectly. Like my previous frame, it's constructed out of square metal tubings. Even though it's slightly bigger and used more metal (in length), the revision in tubing thickness and grade of metal actually made the new frame lighter then the previous one.

The construction took approximately 50-60 hours, however it is still incomplete. I am in the process of acquiring an actual S2000 handbrake that I will be integrating into the center console, then finishing it up with fiberglass panels. I also have other more ambitious mods plans for the cockpit, but that will have to come much later. :p

Last edited:
Holy frack that is so awesome, are the pedals from an actual G25 or were they modified? Also what kind of build time did you put in?

:+1: for giving us all hope for the future :D

NICE! thats so freaking awesome. What car is that seat from? A 350z?

Man I love that seat. Where'd you get that from ?

And for the handbrake, you can actually make it work alongside the G25 ?

Now talk about overkill.. How much did that cost you! Might have been cheaper to go out on a track day at a local race track.

are the pedals from an actual G25 or were they modified? Also what kind of build time did you put in?
Thanks, The pedals are from G25, their design is VERY mod friendly. Total build time is approximately 50-60 hours, not including the many hours I spent sketching/revising it.
NICE! thats so freaking awesome. What car is that seat from? A 350z?
I got it from my friend's dad, was told it came out of a pre-production Mazda(speed?) 6. It looks slightly different than all other Mazda/Mazdaspeed 6 seats I've seen.
And for the handbrake, you can actually make it work alongside the G25 ?
I will have to find a way to wire it directly into G25's circuit board, similar to what I did to the shifter/hand brake (both scratch made) on my old cockpit.
I got another G25 sitting in my garage if things go wrong. :)

Now talk about overkill.. How much did that cost you! Might have been cheaper to go out on a track day at a local race track.
It was built from raw metal tubings, cost was acceptable (although I won't disclose the exact amount spent).

I'm glad you guys like it:)

Last edited:
You really have too much time (and money) on your hands. :lol:

That is amazing!

how did you get the pedals to work upside down?

and I'm thinking of doing the same stuff, I know someone that can build the metal frame for me, sadly it won't happen for a while

Is that all welded or bolted together? I'm helf way through making a shifter/handbrake box for my DFP for LFS, using an old Wingman Force joystick. I was going to make the frame from wood, but metal tubing seems a much neater way. Trouble is I can't weld and I don't have access to a welder (or much cash). Can it all just be bolted. And is that powder coated?

Great job though, that really looks nice. I'm sure it shouldn't be too difficult to wire in an extra pot. to the wheel. :) Your next task is to add hydraulic legs and mount a TV on it for extra realism. :D

suddenly my homebuilt metal tube cockpit looks rubbish...

Now... Do you have an exact replica of that for sale with IKEA style flatpack and free shipping? :p