[12x01] November 2nd, 2008

[12x01] November 2nd, 2008

• Total voters
Five pages in and no one has mentioned the stig's morse code? c'mon i know someone out there can decode it

Heh heh heh.... :whistle: And don't send me PM's asking what it is, Morse Code is easy to figure out, easier still if you can read music.

A optimistic 8, but a very solid high 7 I would rate it.

glad that top gear is back. was a good episode and i know its only the start of the series but im worried like people have said earlier in this thread of it feeling more like series 9 again.

I enjoyed the Lambo/Porker test at the start, but was annoyed about not finding how fast the GT2 went around the track.

News was ok, rather have more chat about cars, couldn't they have caught up on cars that have been released or unveiled while Top Gear has been off air instead of all the joking.

Parky was good as a guest, his lap looked very smooth, if he had been quicker in places i think he could have been alot higher up the board.

The lorry segment was ok at times but others it was just painful to watch. It went on too long, like others have said it would have been nice to get another review or just something else other than 1 review and 1 long segment. If the long segment is good like a race then its ok but not something thats more entertainment based. There were times where the humour was like old Top Gear challenge humour where it felt genuine, but on the most part it just felt too staged and scripted just like the Espace in the car wash fire, or the terrible "real" caravan fire.

Its good to have Top Gear back i just hope that as the series progresses that it moves back towards series 11 top gear (which felt like the top gears of old) and less like the entertainment based series 9/10.

6.5/10

Awesome, I laughed a lot. Lorry segment was funny as.
GT2 vs LP560-4 was good also, lol at Jezza burning the timeslip.

News wasn't that funny tho and the SIARPC segment was boring.

But i'm happy it's back.

Definitely had a season 9 vibe to it. The truck stuff had its entertaining moments, but for an hour show to only have ~7 minutes of cars... meh. Was also kinda pissed that they didn't have a track test/time for the porsche. They've reviewed the 911's a lot, but they've had barely any (1?) lap times on a dry track.

My favorite part of the show was the news, James was hilarious. And the Lewis Hamilton part made me piss my pants when Hammond talked about filming on Wednesday, I was confused at first when they said he won - cuz they don't film live. Anyway, great show all around....wish they said the time for the GT2 though. 10/10 Well Done Top Gear, TGA has made me appreciate how much I love TGUK.

So was the brick wall crash the one mentioned here and other places recently? (Burst sausage, et al.) I would think this segment was filmed recently due to the fact that it looked pretty cold at times (breath creating fog for instance). I'm not an expert on English weather patterns though, so I may be wrong.

I'm just rewatching it now and did the LP560 do the track FASTER than the Murcielago LP640?? O_O

Curse you all, TG production team, for knowing damn well that one of us utterly lifeless anoraks would try to figure out what the Morse Code messages were!

Anyway, the first - 10:20 in the Lambo lap - reads GLICCHESE.

Which sounds like an Italian name, but Google says nothing.

The second is going to take a long time to figure out. It's just too fast. It's about three times the speed I can handle. If I could get the sound as a .wav file, and feed it into a program that I don't know that would do a Fourier Transform, then isolate the one freqency that the Morse is sent at, and plot that as a function of time...

EDIT: Crikey!

The second Morse message in the Lambo lap (10:43) says...

STRICTLY IS CRAP

Top Gear Production Team, I take it all back, and instead salute your efforts.

EDIT AGAIN: how did I miss that last post? I knew the first one was wrong.

Last edited:
WOW!
What the hell??? The LP560 is faster than the LP640??? I didn't see that coming.

Also I am wondering...was the GT2 really faster than the LP560 or was the burning thing just made for fun?

Anyone else find it ironic/funny that they used the Fifth Gear home but replaced the Fifth Gear flags with Top Gear flags?

Yeah....I noted that too, and similar panning angles :lol:

I'm wondering if this is some future dig at Fifth Gear or something coming up in the future...

Ah well...it's good entertainment.

im still watching it... up to SIARPC now

but the first part of the lorry segment is pure gold

"the gear lever's gone up my arse" :lol:

Having driven lorries as a profession (for about 6 months, some 12 years ago), I enjoyed the uh, comparison test. They got to do some of things I wanted to do back then. I'm surprised none of them painted theirs like the BJ & the Bear truck.

05-05.jpg

And it was good to see Oliver again.

I thought that episode was priceless. i laughed enough at the lorry truck segment that i went back and watched it again. i have gone into every top gear episode thinking i was going to be happy, and with the exception of a couple of episodes last season, i have never actually been disappointed.

The Lambo part was brilliant. When i first saw the old lady i thought "wow is she really driving that?" "then i realized that "wait, the wheel might not actually be moving! It isnt moving!" i was about to get mad at poor editing when i saw the little kid. And then the dog, that was just the icing on the cake. The only way that could have been better is if it was Top Gear Dog.

SIARPC, generally i dont care about. last season i didnt watch any. Some guests i care about, like F1 drivers, Patrick Stewart, Ray Winstone, people I know or that seem interesting. I had no idea who this guy was, and even the conversation was just background noise.

But the trucks? Brilliant. Beyond brilliant. I kept laughing and laughing the whole thing. I dont really care if things were scripted. Maybe the car fell out of Hammonds truck on its own, and they had to re-create it? There cant be cameras everywhere all the time. Its just great to see the laughing and joking and just the level of fun. And yes, Jeremys truck just looked sinister, even for a "cab-over".

When i read some of these reviews sometimes I get the feeling that people are LOOKING for mistakes or something to criticize rather than enjoy the show. Like that website moviemistakes, some things are interesting to point out, but when you start using slow motion to find faults or whatever, it ruins the experience. I watch this show to be purely entertained by adult men doing things i only wish i could do. As has been said a thousand times, this isnt a true car review show like Fifth Gear. I have seen, and have, every TG episode since 2002, and I can honestly say that even though the show has changed slightly, its still just as entertaining with just as much non-car related content as before.

Instead of jumping bikes with buses or wedding parties with limos, we get screwing around in trucks. Instead of testing how well hair-pieces stay on, we get create your own police car. There has always been this level of screwing around, its just gotten more expensive.

The challenge went on too long and was a bit over the top at points but I enjoyed the episode overall.

The only way that could have been better is if it was Top Gear Dog.

I think Terry Wogan would have been a funny inclusion here. They've had enough digs at his lap time over the years, and Richard Whiteley wouldn't really be able to make it. :lol:

Was the Top Gear Top Secret Lorry Test Thingy the Fifth Gear studio?

LP560 Review - 9/10
News - 9/10
SIARPC - 6/10
Lorry Challenge - 8/10

Overall - 8/10

---

A good start to the series! However, this wouldn't be FinalGear without sufficient nit-picking, so THE BAD comes first...

SIARPC was successful in boring me again. A bit of a downer from the strong one with Jay Kay that ended last series. I think we can scream until our faces turn red and we pass out, but it seems as if the TG production crew will not drop SIARPC. That's fine so long as they can keep the bit lively, but history seems to undermine any hope of that. :|

The Challenge seemed to have those staged moments again. When Jezza drove up with his trailer on fire it smacked of the caravan segment from series 8 all over. I can't speak to the combustibility of straw next to a space heater but I can't help but shake the feeling they are trying to pull a fast one again.

So for THE GOOD now..

The review was really good; classic Clarkson and I love the cuts of the old lady, kid, and dog driving the car. The Lambo is gorgeous which easily makes up for any minor performance shortfall against the Porsche. As strong as the review was though it was still missing something so I had to chop a point for that.

News is perhaps my favorite part of TG. As usual a good job on this. Like the Lambo review some felt missing so had to cut a point.

Despite my previously mentioned concerns about the challenge it was still highly entertaining. I love how Jezza redressed his lorry and the Alpine challenge was great.

---

In sum, TG always succeeded on putting a smile on my face and this week is no exception. Bring on the rest of Series 12! :D