Random Thoughts... (Motorsports Edition)

Is there any place on the internet where I can watch the Macau F3 race?

I just got the November issue of F1 Magazine and it has a pretty big interview with Michael Schumacher who seems to think that there's more for us to see on the part of Massa.

Hmm... I dunno...

(There's also another article that states Villeneuve is an Alonso fan, but I haven't gotten that far yet :lol:)

Last edited:
Random obscure F1 footage...

[YOUTUBE]J3s8NSY06SA[/YOUTUBE]

In the early 1990's Japan's premier performance products company, HKS, set out to design, engineer, manufacture and test a Formula 1 spec V12 racing engine. Displacing 3.5 liters, the 75 degree, 5-valve 300E (as it was named) produced 650 horsepower at 13,500 rpm. It was track tested at Fuji Speedway in the back of a Yokohama/Advan shod Lola T91/50 F3000 chassis in 1992, but was never used in competition.

Apparently Gilles Villeneuve, after San Marino '82, was rumoured to have been talking to Williams about a potential drive for '83. Obviously, that drive would have been in the place of the substitute driver that the team had had to pick for '82 (Derek Daly) after Reutemann's retirement.

A Keke Rosberg - Gilles Villeneuve driver pairing? Had Williams received Honda engines from early '83 with this line-up, then Nelson Piquet wouldn't have been 1983 World Champion any longer.

Due to the financial struggles of the big three, what effects will it have on Nascar ?

Due to the financial struggles of the big three, what effects will it have on Nascar ?

From what I understand Dodge is likely to disappear altogether. That aside I doubt there are going to be major effect for next year, but then again I don't know what kind of direct involvement the manufacturers have in NASCAR, as far as I know the teams most of their own development work themselves and therefore losing the manufacturer support would not have a great effect. That said, the financial chrisis will obviously have direct effects in the teams finances as well.

Hit the track today, was meant to have an autocross event but was rained out so went to Baskerville instead. First time I have ever driven the car in anger on tarmac. Absolutely torrential rain, Turn 4 was a lake and there were rivers everywhere across the track. Might not have much HP but when you cross running water at 130k's in 4th and it starts wheelspinning again its quite exciting haha

Brakes aren't up to the task even in the wet so they will be replaced before next year, otherwise thats my day out. :)

Huh?

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/72528

Gachnang joins Formula Two field

By Steven English Thursday, December 18th 2008, 11:55 GMT

Formula 3 racer Natacha Gachnang is the sixth driver to have signed up for next season's Formula Two Championship.

The 21-year-old Swiss finished third in Spanish Formula 3 this season and is the first female driver to commit to F2.

"I'm delighted to be doing F2," said Gachnang who is the cousin of Formula One test driver Sebastien Buemi. "Everyone is talking about the test with Williams but for me this is just a bonus, the real appeal is how good the competition is going to be.

"F2 will be a big step up from F3 and people might expect me to struggle, but I'm really looking forward to the challenge."

Gachnang follows Robert Wickens, Julien Jousse, Armaan Ebrahim, Tobias Hegewald and Jason Moore on the list of confirmed entries.

No, it's going to be actually something between F3, GP2 and Formula Palmer Audi. Based on the latter, but with different chassis and tuned-up engines.

Actually, ya, it is.

http://www.formulatwo.com/

Formulatwo.com said:
The FIA?s initiative to create a prestigious high performance new championship at a sensationally low cost is perfectly timed. In today?s challenging economic climate cost effectiveness is essential and with a fixed price of just ?195,000 (?225,000) for a season of 16 races throughout Europe, F2 is not just a percentage cheaper than its alternatives; it is a fraction of the cost.

A good Formula 3 team will cost you about 600 grand (Euros). Over a million for GP2. So to me that seems like a bargain. That's Star Mazda money (400,000 USD for a top team). Formula Palmer Audi (from the wikipedia page, not from word-of-mouth) costs 55,000 Pounds. Hell, my friend spends 120,000 USD per year to run regional Formula Mazda in the US!

Last edited:
Just unearthed probably one of the most brilliant websites dedicated to F1 and motorsport in general:

http://www.oldracingcars.com/drivers/watn/?Category=WC

Where are all those F1 drivers now? Find out here. Some of their destinies have been rather ironic, considering their behaviour on the track. For example, one of the famous "blockers" of the early '90s, Olivier Grouillard, works now in a car crash insurance company and also is a carriage builder...

Wow that's a great find, thanks for sharing!

Really random thought:

I just realised how much Laguna Seca looks like Germany.

501px-Laguna_seca_layout.svg.png

germany_map_deutschland.jpg

MadCat360 said:
Did you check (Link removed)

Might take a few days to get on there

I suggest you remove that link quickly if you don't want it to be forced to shut down.;)

Last edited: