the OFFICIAL Final Gear reputation system poll - please vote!!!

the OFFICIAL Final Gear reputation system poll - please vote!!!

• I like the system the way it is now

Votes: 41 19.6%
  • I like the system, but would rather it wasn't anonymous

Votes: 128 61.2%
  • I like the system, but would rather if rep power and/or blobbies are hidden

Votes: 8 3.8%
  • I don't like the system, and I would rather see it disabled altogether

Votes: 32 15.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think using names is the best option. Pretty much all the regular contributors are mature enough not to retaliate with neg-reps to a neg-rep, and it's also a good way to catch out neg-rep trolls. Although I suspect that using names will force them into the hole from which they came... which would probaly solve the problem.

Exactly, it's what it boils down to. I've not really contributed to these threads because I'm not too bothered. I like the rep system because it gives people an idea of your 'status' and you get to see what people thought of your posts (for me it's nice to get +rep for a photo in the Lens Flair thread :) ). I haven't had many neg reps (none until recently), let alone anonymous ones, but showing names would help.

Personally the named reps would be nice as i've said before, but the status quo works just as fine, because i've never been troll negrepped, or even negrepped once and in the grand scheme of things, they're just green blobbies.

The only reason i liked the rep system was because post count != smart person all the time. Other than that, names, no names, w/e, if you're not mature enough to name yourself or have to retaliate, i DON'T want to know who you are D:

Bah, didn't want to return to this thread anymore... but anyway, here's more of the same.

The only reason i liked the rep system was because post count != smart person all the time.

Do you think that high reputation score = smart person then? Or can you draw ANY kind of conclusion about a person from the green blobs, when everyone who posts a lot here has high reputation, trolls and normal people alike. This is just a nature of the system (and it surely is not going to change by removing anonymity).

Obviously high rep also != smart person all the time, but a repped person may be a better source than someone who's rambled on for 5000 posts, comparing it that way the rep system is a better yardstick, but in no means an overall measure of someone's smartness.

Also,
they're just green blobbies

Like i said, end of the day, i'm only going to listen to someone who's given good advice to me and i couldn't care less if the repper was anonymous or not, negrep or posrep, all i'm saying is don't remove the system entirely.

Obviously high rep also != smart person all the time, but a repped person may be a better source than someone who's rambled on for 5000 posts, comparing it that way the rep system is a better yardstick, but in no means an overall measure of someone's smartness.

Well, that was my point. Show me an active member here with high postcount but low reputation?

... all i'm saying is don't remove the system entirely.

What is the use of the system then?

Well, that was my point. Show me an active member here with high postcount but low reputation?
teletubbywarrior?

The reputation system is most effective for new users... there's a lot of new members who are quite red or quite green overall. So it does work... and it's not totally useless for old timers either.

For instance, Blind_Io has a lot more rep than I do. This is because he posts a lot more amusing and interesting things than I do. In fact, I think most people who have been here as long as I have, have quite a bit more rep than I do.

So, you know, it's not totally useless in establishing who is a valuable member and who is a fucktard, even if high post count usually equals high rep status.

And MXM, I think you have to do better than 'what use is this system?' We've had this thing for more than a year, and the majority of members have voted to keep the system in one shape or other, so the onus is on you to show us why this system is detrimental. You can't apply such a utilitarian outlook to the interwebs.

Edit: Whoever neg repped me for this, this is an example of what you don't neg rep. :rolleyes: Hey, it's still okay to bitch, right?

Last edited:
Pfft, I'm more awesome than all of you combined and yet I have less rep. It clearly indicates that the reputation system is broken and must be abolished.

Pfft, I'm more awesome than all of you combined and yet I have less rep. It clearly indicates that the reputation system is broken and must be abolished.

Interesting that you came up with that hypothesis. Tell me...just how does one make lemonade from feces? :lol:

The more evil I act, the more +rep I get. Fascinating.

replace "evil" with "perverted" and you've got "me."

I do hafta say, though, that you have a knack for picking great avatars.

And thus the Quiky lives up to his name

Be afraid, be very afraid :evil:

Obviously high rep also != smart person all the time

Take a look at my rep...do you really consider me a person of intelligence? Or a source of info? Maybe a source of annoyance...

Actually, don't answer that. Only soap bubbles are more fragile than my ego. :lol:

teletubbywarrior?

:lol: I had never noticed that but considering he insults me every single time he replies to me I can understand why. Actually I have not ever - reped him or anyone else before though.

^ He doesn't actually have all those neg reps... well, I guess he does, but he didn't accrue them. He complained about the rep system before it became the cool thing to do, so Quiky did some of his evil mind tricks on him and made his rep uber negative.

^ He doesn't actually have all those neg reps... well, I guess he does, but he didn't accrue them. He complained about the rep system before it became the cool thing to do, so Quiky did some of his evil mind tricks on him and made his rep uber negative.

Jah. He has a few million negative points...

Status
Not open for further replies.