Building a dream

I don't quite know how exactly I'd go about building, well, anything to do with a car because I know next to nothing about engines, etc and I also don't like sticking my head under the hood and getting all dirty :p but, I do have a dream, so here it is.

1969 Ford Mustang Mach 1. Only I'd take the same engine in my dad's Camaro ((I can't remember if its the 350 or the 305 but dad says its one of the best engines Chevy made, which explains why his Camaro is still alive today and my mom's died years ago - cos it didn't have the same engine)) and put it in, if it would fit, but since I know nothing about engines and such, it'd be nice if someone could tell me if this is possible. :p
Reasoning behind this is because although I love both cars, I love the looks of the Mustang more I'm so used to the sound of the Camaro engine...its a truly epic noise. :)

Then I would fiddle with the interior, first off I'd do something with the stereo XD and then I'd probably chuck the original seats ((well if I buy an old Mustang I'll have to fix it up anyway.)) and get some nicer ones from something newer, or if they're not too bad I'll get them reupholstered.
Then I'd do some body mods, probably get a wide body kit because I like the looks of those quite a lot. I'd paint it all a nice gloss black and give it gold racing stripes :) Then I would get it some nice 5 spoke American Racing wheels like they do on the newer Shelby Mustangs today - if I could find some to fit it. :) And almost certainly I would fix up the suspension and brakes so it wouldn't handle like a brick on wheels anymore. At the very least I'd like it to handle okay, like my current car handles "okay". :D

2328865875_5e917197d3.jpg

Or if not a Mustang, I'd have a 1985 Firebird Trans Am in black with the silver bit on the bottom like in the picture. NO T-TOPS THOUGH!! I know the horrors of the things cos my dad's Camaro has them and they leak, despite how many times he's had them fixed.

Actually, can you even get a '85 Firebird without T-Tops? :?

If I had the Trans Am, there'd be no need to screw with the engine really, I'd have the 2.8L V6 :mrgreen: I'm not so interested in the power as I am in handling which is why I'd mess with the suspension and brakes, etc. As much as possible. I know it wouldn't be as good as some of the other cars I could get but this is just a dream, and I like the looks of the old American muscle cars. It'd make my day to have one that could handle as well as my 14 year old Sunfire does. If the turning radius is even marginally better, that's a plus. :p

binky1985PontiacFirebirdTransAm.jpg

Oh and I may be shot for this, but...both of these would have to be automatics. :D

i wasnt talking about lambo, i was talking about ferrari which shortly after released the f50 i think and they have been battling to this day
also the jaguar wasnt something special, it was a nice looking car no doubt about it, but it didnt have that something

also idk but is the jag e type considered an antique such as the 300sl and 959 which are sold for crazy amounts of money?

Um.... lots of people think that the Jaguar E-Type has that special something. Keeps topping lists of the prettiest cars ever, the best cars ever, etc., etc. It even won the FinalGear Most Beautiful Car Ever contest here, where most of the people voting were under 25!

And, by the way, no 959 has *ever* sold for what the E-Type sold for at the peak of collector car trading in the 80s - an E-Type sold to a Japanese businessman for over ONE MILLION DOLLARS.

So, yeah, they're collectable antiques. And now that that particular bubble has burst, you can *still* afford to buy one. A good E-Type that you can drive every day will cost you between $25-40K. A great one that goes around a track well (no power adders or mods to the engine, but suspension and tire/wheel modernization) will set you back about double that or you can do the work yourself for about $3K on top of your "good" E-Type.

One modified to kick ass with the current 911 Turbo is only about $110K. Yup, that's right. You can get a modified E-Type that will be within striking distance of a modern GT-R on a track for not too much more than a Skyline. Not bad for a fifty year old design.

Oh, and no, the F50 was not the answer to the 959. Mostly the Italians ignored the 959; the 959 was produced between 1986 and 1989. The F40 was produced between 1987-1992 and most certainly was NOT a response to the 959 (the 959 was supposed to be a Group B rally car, something it turned out to not be very good at, though it did win occasionally); the F50 came out in 1995.

Last edited:
the 959 has sold for over a million dollars
and i know for a fact that in the mbusa center in montvalle nj, they had a 300sl that was sold for over 1 mil
the numbers are crazy, but if you can get a e-type for 25-40k, then its just a nice, good looking car, nothing extraordinary

and i watched that 300sl top gear episode and it was the fastest car of the time period

http://www.luxist.com/tag/jaguar+e-type/

it says 150k

Last edited:
the 959 has sold for over a million dollars
and i know for a fact that in the mbusa center in montvalle nj, they had a 300sl that was sold for over 1 mil
the numbers are crazy, but if you can get a e-type for 25-40k, then its just a nice, good looking car, nothing extraordinary

and i watched that 300sl top gear episode and it was the fastest car of the time period

http://www.luxist.com/tag/jaguar+e-type/

it says 150k

Yes, it was the fastest production car of the time... in 1955. The E-Type arrived in 1960 as a 1961 model and wiped that record out.

Your link goes to a car that was sold recently. I, however, am old enough to actually remember the 80s, and at the time, the over $1M E-Type sale did in fact happen. The bottom has since fallen out of the collector car market; at the time (about six months before the bubble popped), the E-Type sale was the most expensive collector car auction in history.

And the reason E-Types are inexpensive (relatively speaking) today is because they made so many of them, not because they were unpopular. It was indeed something extraordinary - you should check out all the Clarkson/Top Gear videos that explain it.

Yeah, the Gullwing goes for a lot of money - but that's because they're rare and because of the people that drove them, rather than any quality of the car. From all reports, they're actually terrible to drive. God knows they killed most of the headline racing talent from Europe in the 1950s.

As for the 959 - I don't remember hearing that it's ever gone for $1M or more anywhere, since the thing started at ~$225-250K when new and has never really gotten much collector interest. Most I've ever heard of one going for is about $750K.

Last edited:
1969 Ford Mustang Mach 1. Only I'd take the same engine in my dad's Camaro ((I can't remember if its the 350 or the 305 but dad says its one of the best engines Chevy made, which explains why his Camaro is still alive today and my mom's died years ago - cos it didn't have the same engine)) and put it in, if it would fit, but since I know nothing about engines and such, it'd be nice if someone could tell me if this is possible. :p
Reasoning behind this is because although I love both cars, I love the looks of the Mustang more I'm so used to the sound of the Camaro engine...its a truly epic noise. :)

A chev in a ford ?!? :mad: I know you Americans tend to do that sometimes but WHY ?

BTW F40>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>959

Last edited:
If I were to use that money to buy a car, I'd rather get a Koenigseggseggeggegvikingswedishawesomewin and have RWD!

A chev in a ford ?!? :mad: I know you Americans tend to do that sometimes but WHY ?

BTW F40>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>959

From what I know, which isn't much granted, but the Chevy engine that's in my dad's Camaro is one of the best engines of that time. I know next to nothing about the engine from the Mustang >.< As for why, I just simply prefer Chevy engines to the Ford ones, mostly because Fords are notorious for being Found On Road Dead around here. :p

there were about 200 959's produced, so i think its a rule of economics that it wud go up by a lot
and its very hard to find one of them for auction or sale anywhere
also bill gates and jerry senfield have one and jay leno cant get his hands on one so i imagine that its very hard to catch.
also since the jaguar e type was so made in such a large quantity, its not really as much of a legend as the other cars which were produced in very little.
look today the cars that are produced heavily like the e-type was are cool and everything, but thats it
whats one car that today is produced in extravagent figures that you consider really something?

there were about 200 959's produced, so i think its a rule of economics that it wud go up by a lot
also bill gates and jerry senfield have one and jay leno cant get his hands on one so i imagine that its very hard to catch.
also since the jaguar e type was so made in such a large quantity, its not really as much of a legend as the other cars which were produced in very little.
look today the cars that are produced heavily like the e-type was are cool and everything, but thats it
whats one car that today is produced in extravagent figures that you consider really something?

IIRC 959s are/were not street legal in America ?

they are street legal in america today because of bill gates
he through the use of computers passed the crash requirements needed and now they are street legal

IIRC 959s are/were not street legal in America ?

I have an article in some magazine about them.
They had to be imported then some company complied them.
Not many had been complied.

I'll scan it and post it up one day, cbf now.

*Edit: September 2003 issue of 'Excellence - The Magazine About Porsche'.

Last edited:

They made 337, and Leno doesn't have one because he can't get one in unless it's under the "forget about driving it" supercar exemption - the 959 is illegal to import otherwise, unless you want to hack it up.

The E-Type is more of a legend than the 959. It's the car that Enzo Ferrari himself said was the most beautiful car ever made, and it had a successful racing career for almost forty years - at the end, long out of production and without factory support, it slaughtered the all-conquering BRE Datsun team in SCCA racing.

By the way, the E-Type's 70K production figures isn't so much when you realize the thing was made from 1960 to 1974 - less than 10K per year.

Here's an E-Type raping significantly newer 911s around a track (there is one 911 that insists on refusing to yield, though it is clearly slower):

[youtube]sIXNYRQIAvY[/youtube]

they are street legal in america today because of bill gates
he through the use of computers passed the crash requirements needed and now they are street legal

You still have to hack them up and reduce power to just about that of what a 911 Turbo of the same year made, so what's the point? Almost nobody is willing to hack up a 959 to do that, so they are still here under the 2500-miles-or-less-per-year Supercar Exemption.

Last edited:
Bill Gates made it legal to import it, and im sure leno wants one because hes into porsches
and im not saying it wasnt a nice car, but what did it start..nothing
also the Ferrari 250 GTO as i understand it was a better car that came out at about the same time, so the even though the jag was fast and good looking, the 959 brought speed to a whole new level

Bill Gates made it legal to import it, and im sure leno wants one because hes into porsches
also the Ferrari 250 GTO as i understand it was a better car that came out at about the same time, so the even though the jag was fast and good looking, the 959 brought speed to a whole new level

Why do all teenagers like continuing an argument that should have never existed in the first place? You don't know everything, so just stop pretending you do. You're not going to win against Spectre if that's what your goal is.

Not really. The 959 wasn't that great and was only marginally faster than other cars - then was quickly eclipsed.

And Leno is on record as saying that he'll wait for the 25-year statute to run out so he can actually drive it without hacking it up.

The 959 didn't start anything, where the E-Type shattered the world car market. Sorry.

Last edited:
Whoops, sorry - that was wishful thinking on my part, but you're correct. The swing axles were part of why the handling was so fatally bad.

It would have been better off with a live axle. I'll go correct that.

I just found out that the 300SEL 6.3 also came with swing axles. :blink:

What.

You're comparing a car that was built to satisfy homologation rules for racing to a mass produced sports car ? :?

BTW a XJ220 and a F40 is much faster than a 959. 959 Did not bring speed "to a new level''. If anything the XJ220 did.