Does anyone actually like Sony?

I like sony

Once I get a job (hopefully soon) I'm going to throw a lot of money at them (PS3, Sony Ericsson W760i, 40W4500 LCD and maybe a Vaio Z-series but they are crazy expensive)

I like them, but the last thing I bought was my PSP, 3 and a half years ago. Can't remember anything since.

at the moment i have ps3, sony 40W4000 and a sony dvd-player as a cd player. Nothing wrong with em.. nice nice nice..

Mixed bag for me.

Sony VAIO Desktop: Worked till I broke it. Good
Sony Laptop got from friend: Works great even today. Good
PS3: Don't really use it, but it boots, so that's good, right? Good
TV: Uncle had Sony TV from 1970's, lasted nearly 25 years. Good
Walkman: Unbreakable

Phones: Every Sony Ericson I've ever had broke in 6 months to a year.
Software issues: Hard to trust their binaries these days.

So non-phone hardware = good, software and phones = no.

I've currently got a PSP that I don't use like I used too but is still a brilliant piece of tech. I've got a PS3 that I love and I've got one of there E-Readers that is fantastic. I think they make great products and when it comes to tech stuff they tend to make stuff thats fairly open and easy to manipulate and do different things with. The PSP for instance, not only can it play games, browse the web, watch movies from those lousy UMD's but its also open enough that I can compress and watch any .avi video file on it.

2 Trinitron 27 inch TV's - No problems, running for almost 10 years now. Still look great, run great. The remotes are a little battle scared, but thats from being dropped and all that.

PlayStation 2 - Bought in 2001 I believe. Still reads game discs, dvd's, all that.

PlayStation 3 - No problem so far. Bought in 2007. 80GB model. It has run better then my 360 ever did. This is not a fan boy thing, my 360 is such a piece that after I bought my PS3 I just put it back in its box and its been sitting since.

I still like Sony, of course I dont really have much experience with their new products. But I'll probably be taking a peak at the XBR7/8 because I will finally have room in my basement/living room for a big screen tv.

My uncle had a Sony 20" TV a few years back that took 5-10 minutes to show a picture after it was turned on. It had sound, but nothing else. :lol:

I have a love/hate relationship with them. I know several people who have had their car stereos and they were bad, but I'll try to limit myself to what I've owned.

PS1: Laser unit broke, scratched my copy of FFT. So, BAD.
PS2: Worked lovely, still works lovely though it doesn't get used very much anymore. So, Good!
Mini system: Worked fine for five or so years, and then the right speaker started cutting out for no reason. Not great, but not necessarily bad. Replaced it with...
5.1 Home Theater in a Box: Works great so far, but I haven't had it very long. Remote is made of VERY cheap plastic though, I chipped the corner and I haven't even had the thing a year.
PSP: Decent, but has bad battery life and the battery drains when not in use. Since the software library can best be described as limited, it is not in use for most of the time. And yet my DS doesn't have this problem, HMMM Sony, HMMMMMM!
PS3: It kept crashing, was a hard drive thing, replaced the hard drive and it has worked fine so far. Still, I'm always a bit nervous about it. I like the idea behind it and the functionality of it, however.

I keep saying I won't buy any more Sony products and then I do.

Last edited:
Speaking of liking/disliking Sony (grown-up language warning):

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuGIa7tuiLs[/YOUTUBE]

The Onion delivers again! :lol:

I've only ever had two Sony things as far as I can remember.
PS2, bought cheap, is couple of years old now and is fine, never had problems.
A200 DSLR that I got at Christmas has been more than OK.

Speaking of liking/disliking Sony (grown-up language warning):

[youtube]RuGIa7tuiLs[/youtube]

The Onion delivers again! :lol:
I knwo you're not always around KaJ but:

Reeeeeepost!

:p

Last edited:
On a Vaio laptop right now. Generally like Sony stuff, very few problems with anything. As far as this laptop, the only problem I have is sucky battery life, though I'm probably to blame with that for speccing this laptop to the second most powerful one they offered at the time (only option I didn't get was blu-ray because it was still up in the air with hd-dvd). I get maybe 2 1/2 hours if I turn the brightness down and wireless off.

I do not like their Policies (Do not buy a studio if you make players because it is a conflict of interest - see comments about making DVD players region free and the relative difficulty with Sony as opposed to EVERYBODY else) but their stuff is usually OK, if slightly expensive - they went through a blip with CRT TVs a while ago but that is history.

Lots of Sony products in my house...mostly TVs and sadly the best one is...a TV(A KV1945-RS) that's 26+ years old and only had one minor problem I think a capacitor blew. The worst Sony item has been the most recent a DSC-P92 Camera it stopped functioning properly 2 years ago and what worried me was its made in Japan meaning even items there have had lower standards.

As I said the oldest TV is functioning perfectly fine...its just bloody heavy to move. My grandfather's TV was the next TV my parent's bought its colour went slightly bad months ago, needs a new tube. The next one is the one in my room an early XBR model, it had a total failure last year though its a early 90s model. Next TV is in my parents room, two failures and isn't too reliable today. We have two big screen TVs both CRT projectors, one 51 inch which has so far been solid and a 61 inch with no issue. The old cassette walkman still functions perfectly, one of the CD players which is a Sony had a reading issue. My dad actually bought a Beta, it works. There's a few Sony VHS players none are used as often as the Mitsubishis though. Two MD players...mine is in great shape while my sister's has damage, her Sony MP3 player is in terrible shape. My dad got a Sony DVD player since he had a $100 coupon...bad idea...its very picky with what it plays meaning my dad had to buy a cheap $20 Chinese DVD player to compliment it, the sad part is the Chinese dvd player is more reliable. Since this DVD player, every single high quality DVD/DVD-ROM player has been a Pioneer. Last two items are a slim PS2 which I never used to the extent as I did with my SNES or N64 and the sort of dead digital camera.

I can safely say, the old Sony products were very solid some of the best products out there. Today's Sony products in terms of use...they've gotten a lot worse, the camera still produces a great picture but its failure to even keep itself on makes it totally unusable. My dad wanted to trust Sony so many times because of what they did in the past, only to realize this is not the same Sony as it was 20 years ago. In this sense Sony has lost a great customer since my dad has bought an incredible amount of Sony electronics and is no longer blindly going to buy them because of initial quality. I personally am pro-Pioneer since every single Pioneer device I have old and new is running 100%, even the DVD-ROM that should have been fried by a power surge worked(when sadly everything else in the computer died). Cameras have been switched to Canon, music player to iPod, Laptops with ASUS and the next TV...likely Samsung.

^great writeup, and I have to agree. I haven't owned that many Sony stuff, but if you're THAT loyal of a customer, and have so much go wrong, I can understand why you're looking at other stuff

Audio wise : Pioneer every time

Sorry to bump this, but I have to reant and change my opinion of Sony:
I have this phone:
http://www.sonyericsson.com/cws/corporate/products/phoneportfolio/specification/w595

I love it, it has tons of useful features and it looks much better than my old w810i. Only one issue with it, and it's a biggie- battery life.
It is quoted as having 15 days standby on 3g connectivity. I would not use the phone for calls, (less than 5 mins), sms, etc more ethan once a day, and I would only check its status (and thereofre activate the screen) once an hour. I'm getting 2 days or less out of the battery, and it seems to be getting worse.
The phone and the battery are only 2 months old, it's quite stupid.
My aunt and uncle have this same phone and they have the same problem. It's not a bad signal, we all have great coverage, bluetooth is always off on mine and i have followed every bloody suggestion sony ericcson has (all 3 of them) to no avail.
Even tried the old charging overnight trick (given it's a lithium-polymer battery, it's kinda redundant), no hope.

There has to be a dodgy set of batteries floating around or something- either that or sony can't make them. My old w810i's battery was loose, so every time i put the phone down too firmly on a hard surface or hit it a bit it turned off.

Sorry sony, but if you say 15 days, live up to it. I want a long-lasting 3G phone, so give me one or I'm defecting to an iPhone.

I have this phone:
http://www.sonyericsson.com/cws/corporate/products/phoneportfolio/specification/w595

I love it, it has tons of useful features and it looks much better than my old w810i. Only one issue with it, and it's a biggie- battery life.
It is quoted as having 15 days standby on 3g connectivity. I would not use the phone for calls, (less than 5 mins), sms, etc more ethan once a day, and I would only check its status (and thereofre activate the screen) once an hour. I'm getting 2 days or less out of the battery, and it seems to be getting worse.
My aunt and uncle have this same phone and they have the same problem. It's not a bad signal, we all have great coverage, bluetooth is always off on mine and i have followed every bloody suggestion sony ericcson has (all 3 of them) to no avail.
Even tried the old charging overnight trick (given it's a lithium-polymer battery, it's kinda redundant), no hope.

There has to be a dodgy set of batteries floating around or something- either that or sony can't make them. My old w810i's battery was loose, so every time i put the phone down too firmly on a hard surface or hit it a bit it turned off.

Sorry sony, but if you say 15 days, live up to it. I want a long-lasting 3G phone, so give me one or I'm defecting to an iPhone.

How do you compare those two phones? I have a W810i and I a planning on replacing it this year.

I have this phone:

that is the problem of 3g-phones "bad battery life" if you don't use the 3g for anything you should consider putting the 3g off and use the gsm only.
With that i knowlegde i did it to my moms nokia 6151, full battery = 1 day
was replaced to 6 days of the same usage as your. But not with 3g.
Maybe the problem is the "high" frequency (2100Mhz in finland, 900Mhz coming) that 3g uses.

I love how this "anti-Sony" thread became a Sony love-in, yet in another electronics related thread there's nothing but Sony hate going on.

On a side note, Viilaagaa you pay that much for those speeds? I would have thought anywhere in Europe would have had decent inet for reasonable prices.