The General Motorbikers Discussion Thread

1986 Honda Shadow 500 - $900.

That was your first bike? Did you buy it because of the price or because you like cruisers? Just curious if you're a sportbike guy or not

That was your first bike? Did you buy it because of the price or because you like cruisers? Just curious if you're a sportbike guy or not

At the time I was not that interested in sports bikes. I had toyed with the idea of getting a moto when a coworker of mine offered that one to me for $900. Hard to turn down.

My bikes so far:
1986 Honda Shadow 500
1982 Honda Magna 750
1994 Honda Magna 750
2000 Honda Magna 750
2000 Honda VFR Interceptor 800

I've never had a true "sport bike" Honda has the VFR listed on their website under "sport bikes" but it's really more of a sport-touring bike - just more sport than touring. It's a big heavy bike and it's not competitive with bikes like the lighter and more powerful CBR 1000, GSX-R 1000, and Z1000.

My first and only bike is my 92 suzuki katana 600. Make fun of it all you want, but it is still the best handling bike i've ridden, as well as the most comfortable.

Picked up by the bike today.
Nice. That seems like quite a score, even as a project.

What were your guys' first bikes?

Do you guys have the same affections for your first ever bikes?
1974 Yamaha DT250, I've had it for a couple years now, but it hasn't ran for the last year. And as far as Kansas is concerned, it's illegal as $#%@, so I'm probably going to sell it. I love it though, it's a very solid bike (much more so than my Honda) and I'm probably going to have to buy another two-stroke, because now I'm hooked on them.

That's a gorgeous SV650 you have (had?). I need a bigger bike for the highway commute I'll have next year, and those are at the top of my list. They just sound so damned good.

Oh yeah I forgot I had read your profile and saw the VFR already! I've always loved VFR's :D

And yeah unfortunately I sold the SV :( Insurance on her was pretty crazy as when I got her I was an 18 year old male :lol: When I moved to Italy for awhile I let her go...

I need a new bike quite bad but I'm thinking I'll wait til I graduate Uni.

Oh and Tigger....the SV sounds like a lawnmower with the stock exhaust :D Fit a slip on though and they sound mean!

First bike; Honda CB350/4. Loved it, wish I never sold it (for US$322). Bought it for AU$900 (US$580), and the little bugger never missed a beat.

The VFR is underrated by most. Shares racing pedigree with the RC30.

It is an underrated bike, but it is very hefty by today's standards. It does produce more usable power than the screaming liter bikes and the new 600 race bikes - you know, the ones that are gutless under 10,000 RPM.

First bike was a 1978 CB750 that I bought for 100 dollars with a locked up motor. The bike was complete but the motor was a total loss I had to swap it out with another one.

Second bike was the one I picked up Tuesday a 1979 CB750F that I bought for a 100 dollars with a free turning engine that makes good compression but it is missing some minor components like brakes. :p

We all know breaks are overrated anyways. Why do you think we all wear such heavy duty riding boots... You drag your heel on the ground when you want to stop. :D

Well since I'm moving to Okinawa this summer I'm going to have to sell the Disco and the Yamaha :)cry:) which means I'll then be needing a new form of transportation. I'm really thinking about getting just a bike at first as it seems the weather is pretty good for year round riding.

Well since I'm moving to Okinawa this summer I'm going to have to sell the Disco and the Yamaha :)cry:) which means I'll then be needing a new form of transportation. I'm really thinking about getting just a bike at first as it seems the weather is pretty good for year round riding.

Make sure the Disco finds a good home. I am sure there are all kinds of really cool bikes you can buy in Okinawa.

The Japanese has some epic small capacity bikes.. A buddy of mine imported a 400cc Honda.. It revved like nothing I've ever heard or seen..

The Japanese has some epic small capacity bikes.. A buddy of mine imported a 400cc Honda.. It revved like nothing I've ever heard or seen..

I think I am right in saying that the CB250RS revs to 20,000rpm.

EDIT: I was wrong. I was thinking of the CBR250 and they tend to self detonate when they hit 20,000rpm.

Last edited:
I think I am right in saying that the CB250RS revs to 20,000rpm.

Yes.. He thought hard about importing one of those instead.. But he went with the 400 because it had more torque.... :p

I would love to own a 250cc 4 cylinder. They look like miniatures of their bigger brothers and the sound they make....
[YOUTUBE]8FMvlKyLx6M[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]hknVRL0RY5M[/YOUTUBE]

When I lived in Florence one of the guys on my street had a TZ 250. I wanted it SOOOOOOOO bad. But alas I live in the US and our stupid emissions won't let us have them:mad:

*reverts to angry kid talk* I want to has them! :censored:

You Europeans have it so good :p

You Europeans have it so good :p

There are other bikes that we don't get on the other hand, too. ;)
And pretty much everything you Yanks actually get is way cheaper than what people have to pay on our side of the pond, so be grateful. :p

ps.
Ohai, first post etc.

pps.
First (and so far only) bike: Yamahe YBR 125
I've only been part of the motorcycling community since last October, and I planned to get a small bike and keep it for some time, probably till I can ride without power restrictions and/or have money to afford something else (you can guess what ;)).
So far the ybbie has been a good bunch of fun, and I picked it up on the cheap side, so I really can't complain. :D