Testdriving a Ford Crown Victoria or Grand Marquis

dalame

hi,

Im from Germany and im thinking about importing one of those P71's into germany. Unfortunately, i have never driven one myself, i just like their look, sound, style and all that.
Im going to visit San Francisco and LA in 2 weeks, so i thought, maybe its possible to get a testdrive in a crown vic there?
how are my chances and where would i ask for that?

thanks

I've driven a decommissioned black P71 down the highway, and people will get out of your way. Probably won't hold for Europe.

They are both the exact same car. The only difference is the badge. Ford stopped selling new Crown Vics to the general public a couple years ago. If you want to try a new one out you need to go to a Mercury shop.

I've driven a decommissioned black P71 down the highway, and people will get out of your way. Probably won't hold for Europe.

I beg to differ. If I was in a Euro econobox and several tons of American steel was rushing up towards me I'd get out of the way. Though if said tons of American steal plowed into an econobox I doubt the driver of the former would notice.

Last edited:
call a cab. you won't be driving but you can get a feel for the car.

I'm pretty sure Ford doesn't even make them for regular sale anymore.

call a cab. you won't be driving but you can get a feel for the car.

I'm pretty sure Ford doesn't even make them for regular sale anymore.

Most cabs will have a ... seasoned interior.

Your closest, easiest bet is upgrading your rental car to a Grand Marquis, since they're the same car. When you're floating around in that wonderfully glorified couch on wheels, just imagine the P71 to have stiffer shock absorbers and a more fearsome exhaust note.

When you import one, be sure to get a black one on steel hubcaps and the bull bars. Almost like this:

2327271690_74c3270450_o.jpg

:D

i was already in a taxi, although we were more stationary than driving in manhattan :)
the renatal car thing sounds ok, but i rather dont pay for that, at least not as much as a rental car costs, a short drive of 4-10min would be ok for me.
do you think a car-dealer would lend one to a tourist?

Just a thought: If you are going to go through the cost and effort of importing one, you might as well go for the gusto.

Mercury Marauder (props if you can get a Kenny Brown one)

Mercury-Marauder-2.jpg

They are both the exact same car. The only difference is the badge. Ford stopped selling new Crown Vics to the general public a couple years ago. If you want to try a new one out you need to go to a Mercury shop.

You should try to go for a Mercury Marauder (same thing as a Grand Marquis, but much much much better)

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfuxdQDtlmU[/YOUTUBE]

edit: beat to it while looking for this one epic burnout video (couldn't find it though :().

Last edited:
While I am spamorizing this thread, what is involved in importing one of these beats into the Fatherland?

You should by all means import a P71 or Marauder. :D You can find gently used low mileage 2006~2008 models on ebay or local auctions for around $10k~11k. Mercury Marauders run for $15k~20k depending on mileage and color.

Example: '06 P71

'04 Marauder (Burgandy)

'03 Marauder (Silver)

Marauder FTW.

I think your best bet would be to steal a cop car. But if that doesn't work, I say you should just ask a local dealer. If they're nice, there shouldn't be a problem. I doubt that there's a Ford dealership in the country without at least one or two Crown Vic's sitting on their lot.

Came here for the Marauder, left satisfied.

Seriously, if you are going to get any of these go right for the Marauder.

I beg to differ. If I was in a Euro econobox and several tons of American steel was rushing up towards me I'd get out of the way. Though if said tons of American steal plowed into an econobox I doubt the driver of the former would notice.

I don't think so. What we euros tend to do when we see several tonnes of American steel driving around, is go around a corner quickly, and then see the several tonnes of steel struggle to keep up.

Highway is another story, but I'm guessing most ecoboxes can do 100mph+ quite easily, dunno about crown vics...

in the movies they squeal the tyres at anything over 60, right?

If I was in a Euro econobox and several tons of American steel was rushing up towards me I'd get out of the way. Though if said tons of American steal plowed into an econobox I doubt the driver of the former would notice.

You'd notice it in the Crown Vic, but wouldn't be hurt too badly.
[YOUTUBE]71NSd0kA66w[/YOUTUBE]
This video also shows why rolling roadblocks don't work.

Last edited:
I don't think so. What we euros tend to do when we see several tonnes of American steel driving around, is go around a corner quickly, and then see the several tonnes of steel struggle to keep up.

Highway is another story, but I'm guessing most ecoboxes can do 100mph+ quite easily, dunno about crown vics...

in the movies they squeal the tyres at anything over 60, right?

Police interceptors can do around 135mph or so.