GM DEFAULTS ON DEBT

It clearly says "F?rd". Do you have ? on your keyboard? No? See. :p

The trailing ascender on the second letter clearly disqualifies your accusation of an ? - otherwise it would be a trailing descender. Learn2scripttext. :cool:

lol wat

honestly, why would you ever limit yourself like that

Because quite honestly I find no asian cars appealing, they're not an appealing visual style to me and I really do not like that dry exhaust note of a small engine. I fail to see how not having an asian car limits myself when I have a century of american and european cars to fiddle with.

Sorry bud, but Toyota is waaaaaaaay more reliable than GM.

The Toyota may run perfect for longer if you never give the engine a significant workout, but nothing flat out refuses to die quite like the Chevy small block.

As the saying goes, American cars run rough longer than Japanese cars run.

@ Blaro: You're not a sucker if you know exactly what you're doing and where your money goes :)

@ Level: I'm in more of a position than you (i assume) to make a Toyota to GM comparion, having owned both cars. I maintain my cars very well, right down to air filter replacements and never letting a squeak go uninspected. But its now at the point where its not worth putting money into anymore and im just letting it die.

Starter doesn't work well, when it does crank it takes a while, two door locks are broken, one window motor is breaking, the electrics in the dash are failing, the transmission slips bad, ect ect.

Like i said, the 131,000 mile chevrolet with ugly paint (for now) is chugging along like a charm, even the timing is perfect. It even beats the gas millage in the camry (which is worse even than my girlfriends V6 ford explorer).

EDIT: Oh yea, and its rusting... in florida... where it doesnt snow...

You must have a one-of-a-kind toyota and a one-of-a-kind GM then. Toyota has been consistently rated one of the most reliable car manufacturers. GM has never even come close to it.
Gas mileage. I also seriously doubt that a stock well-maintained camry gets worse mileage than an explorer. But maybe that's just me. That said, its no surprise to me that a Camaro gets better mileage - stick it in 6th and its hardly turning over at highway speeds.

We get Audis made in Germany, and they're not much better built than the Mexican VWs. It's like VAG has never heard of hot weather testing or something; they overheat and die, the interiors fall apart, and the electronics go bonkers. :p
Well, it seems we send you all the crap then, cause our Audis are good.

According to this years study of how reliable your car is, done by the independent German automobile club ADAC, Audi has just won the class of small cars (A2), hatchbacks (A3), big limos (A6) and only was dismissed in the smaller limo class (A4) by the Mercedes C-Class. Overall, they're the most reliable badge you can buy over here.

They will survive in one form or another and i will make sure to make my next car a GM one not from a private seller, so i know im giving them money.

I like the company so much i am willing to spend more money for less product, cant say the same for acura or audi :) (or ford)

I wonder if any of your ancestors ever had a similar conversation with their buddies about 100 years ago ... "I like my horse and cart so much, I am willing to spend more money for less product, can't say the same for those newfangled horseless carts ..."

:p

Would you leave your wife because a hotter woman with more money came along? Its not always about "What is the best i can get NOW", there is something called loyalty. While a car company is not the same as a spouse, i think a certain amount of brand loyalty can be a healthy thing. I dont think GM is cranking out 100% pure crap, they made the mistake of pandering to the pickup and SUV market and will pay the price.

Or to put it another way, my 12 year old 109Kmi toyota barely runs and is falling apart, my 131,000mi 15 year old (gm) car runs like a charm...

I would leave my (hypothetical) wife if it turned out she was a skanky whore who constantly cheated on me and gave me multiple different STDs. That's a better parallel to GM.

Those people are boring and those people already own boring Asian cars.
You own half a dozen jags so obviously you have better priorities :p

True, but you forget I also own a boring Asian car. :D

So you're a fanboy! I can never undestand this brand loyalty bullshit. No matter how much I like cars from a certain make, if a better one comes along then that's the one I'll get.
Oh, and a Toyota with 109k miles that barely runs? Maybe you keep forgetting to change the oil or something. Sorry bud, but Toyota is waaaaaaaay more reliable than GM.

And people call me a Jaguar fanboy. :p

Or cold weather testing.. in the latest report from "svensk bilprovning" (the Swedish Motor Vehicle Inspection Company), Audi A3, A4 and A6 was at the bottom of the pile in terms of reliability.. I guess they have done a Mercedes...

That would explain their sudden explosion of models...

@ Blaro: You're not a sucker if you know exactly what you're doing and where your money goes :)

You are if you're doing something stupid over and over. :lol::mrgreen:

Like i said, the 131,000 mile chevrolet with ugly paint (for now) is chugging along like a charm, even the timing is perfect. It even beats the gas millage in the camry (which is worse even than my girlfriends V6 ford explorer).

Your Camry was (probably) made in the US by former UAW workers (prior to Toyota laying down the law). My Nissan was made in Japan.

IMG_3449.JPG

IMG_3683.JPG

IMG_3687.JPG

Call me when your Camaro can do that.

what's up with that riced out maxima behind you?
btw, can't +rep you :(

It belongs to my neighbor. Strangely enough, it's a 40-something year old Asian man who drives it. It's pretty badly riced and beat on, someday I'll get good pics and post it up in Carbage.

Your Camry was (probably) made in the US by former UAW workers (prior to Toyota laying down the law). My Nissan was made in Japan.

IMG_3449.JPG

IMG_3683.JPG

IMG_3687.JPG

Call me when your Camaro can do that.

Do what, 250,000 miles? My Pontiac has done about that much without rebuild, and any sane person would immediately label mine the inferior engine when compared to that of a '95 Z28.

Would you leave your wife because a hotter woman with more money came along? Its not always about "What is the best i can get NOW", there is something called loyalty. While a car company is not the same as a spouse, i think a certain amount of brand loyalty can be a healthy thing. I dont think GM is cranking out 100% pure crap, they made the mistake of pandering to the pickup and SUV market and will pay the price.

Or to put it another way, my 12 year old 109Kmi toyota barely runs and is falling apart, my 131,000mi 15 year old (gm) car runs like a charm...

You mean this GM, the one on jack stands in your driveway?

https://pic.armedcats.net/t/th/thedguy/2009/04/22/jackstands.jpg

I'm willing to bet that camry of yours got treated like every other toyota, like an appliance that is only to be sent in the direction of a mechanic when it breaks.

The problem with having brand loyalty to a company is that they don't return it. Their only desire is to make a fucking buck, and if they can walk all over you to make $5 now they'll do it even if it means losing $500 later. They've done it plenty of times, and so long as they can remain in business, will continue to.

Last edited:
Do what, 250,000 miles? My Pontiac has done about that much without rebuild, and any sane person would immediately label mine the inferior engine when compared to that of a '95 Z28.

Yes, but it's not the *engine* that's the problem on an F-Body.

It's everything bolted to it.

Keep it rolling, guys! this thread gave me some good chuckles. :tvhappy::lmao::roflmao::rofl:

Dguy: Oi thats a low blow, it has since been painted and taken off jacks, i was replacing ignition wires at the time and the whole right cylinder bank part of the optispark is much eisier to reach from under the car. :)

Spectre said:

:wub::wub::wub: Oh god i want one of those, its so dreeeeeamy! Tell me whats the pickup version of that truck called, my dad had one for 10 years or more and neither of us can figure out what the hell it was called. "Uhh, a nissan.... truck?". It was the same color even.

Spectre said:
Yes, but it's not the *engine* that's the problem on an F-Body.

It's everything bolted to it.

I may argue with spectre a lot but i never said he is anything but wise... :) But tell me sir, what kind of motor/car exactly did you get that GM starter from all those threads ago? :p

Last edited:
But now it's official. The company's CFO says the firm will not make its June 1, $1 billion debt payment reports WSJ.

So... what does that mean then. I'd assume bankruptcy, but I've assumed a lot of things the past couple of months. I've learned to stop.

So I'm right, it didnt really have a "name" per se? Its been killing me for years and years! Without question the best car i've had the privilage of driving, until it rusted and broke in half... (Not in the awesome torpedo-and-sink way, it just cracked one day and wasnt safe to drive)

Now he drives a gigantic toyota :( It just doesnt have the same.... soul

Last edited:
:wub::wub::wub: Oh god i want one of those, its so dreeeeeamy! Tell me whats the pickup version of that truck called, my dad had one for 10 years or more and neither of us can figure out what the hell it was called. "Uhh, a nissan.... truck?". It was the same color even.

:blink::blink::blink:

The parent truck of the WD21 Pathfinder is the D21 Hardbody/Camiones/Pickup depending on what market it was sold in.

The color is "Aztec Red", often known as Nissan Red.

I may argue with spectre a lot but i never said he is anything but wise... :) But tell me sir, what kind of motor/car exactly did you get that GM starter from all those threads ago? :p

A dead '96 Chevy Caprice, not a F**ked-Body. :mrgreen::lol:

Also, does anyone else see the similarities between the whole General Motors drama and the Terry Schiavo fiasco?

What seems more likely, GM becoming American Leyland, or ending up going the way of Rover?
As for the reliability boasts, how does 110,000 miles on an 8 year old Peugeot sound? Admittedly there's nothing on it to go wrong, but still, it is French...

Also, does anyone else see the similarities between the whole General Motors drama and the Terry Schiavo fiasco?

Not really. With the Schiavo issue, there was a relatively even split between pro/anti and "don't care".

With GM, it's mostly "Just f***ing die already" with a tiny, tiny minority, mostly UAW drones and fanbois, pleading with us to save their god.

What seems more likely, GM becoming American Leyland, or ending up going the way of Rover?
As for the reliability boasts, how does 110,000 miles on an 8 year old Peugeot sound? Admittedly there's nothing on it to go wrong, but still, it is French...

American Leyland. The current administration sold its soul to the UAW; they cannot afford to have it fail. They will make noises about letting it fail, but in the end they'll bail it out again.

My Series III was a Lucas/British Leyland design and it's made ~240K, so for a less-handicapped French car, 110K isn't all that impressive. :p

Last edited: