WMP11 won't play Top Gear

Still no go...reinstalled VLC and to no avail...major meh!

VLC is not completely failproof either!
just today mine just didn't want me to watch shaun of the dead (dvd) and just kept getting stuck on the copyright-notice :O but maybe that was just some random higher power playing tricks on me

other than that i can totally recomment VLC, usually it plays everything and it's some lovely lightweight piece of software

If I were you, I'd strap the system of all codecs and players and install these two pieces of software:

KMPlayer
ffdshow tryouts

Forget the rest.

Have you tried to install FFDShow yet, Roadster44? As others have noted, I find it bulletproof in Windows (I run OS X) with WMP or a third-party video player application.

I would also second the recommendations of those who say that before you install FFDShow, uninstall any other codecs (DiVX, etc.) and multi-codec-packages first. Then uninstall VLC. Then reboot. Then reinstall VLC. Then install FFDShow.

I understand this is a bit of a chore, but sometimes trying to clean out what you have at first before starting again can help correct "dangling registry entries" and other issues which may be preventing subsequent installs from properly executing.

I might add that I do not recommend VLC. I made bad experiences with it, and I don't like the interface either. I'd rather take KMPlayer or MPC-HC.

Last edited:
Did you get it figured out yet?

This showed up in my in box tonight if you want to give it a shot. Couldn't hurt at this point.

Fix Video Playback Problems by Removing Bad Codecs Codecs are important because they are being used to compress the videos and audios into much smaller size. Compressing a video with different codec will give you different results in terms of quality of the video and also the file size. If a video is being compressed by DivX, we?ll need DivX codec to play the video or else we will only hear the audio being played but no video. There are a lot of codecs and the best way to make sure that you can watch many types of videos is by installing codec packs. Codec packs are a collection of codecs being packed into one installer and is configured by default not to have any conflicts.

There are a lot of codec packs nowadays such as K-Lite Codec Pack, XP Codec Pack, Codec Pack All in 1, Matroska Pack, Satsuki Decoder Pack, The Codec, Combined Community Codec Pack and etc? I have no idea which one is the best but I?ve been using K-Lite Codec Pack for many years now and seldom have any problems with it. The important thing is I make sure that I do not uninstall nor upgrade to the latest version because I read that you?ll start to encounter weird video playback problems after doing that.

If you have codec problems, here is something you can try first before uninstalling and reinstalling the codec pack.

Here are two tools that is able to fix some broken codecs on your Windows computer. These tools are a little old but it works.

1. Filmerit
Filmerit fix direct http://paul.glagla.free.fr/filmerit_en.htm
Filmerit is a freeware application for cleaning and managing the DirectShow filters. Directshow is a very nice concept that Microsoft introduced in DirectX. Many useful filters are delivered originally with DirectX, but each application may install its proper filters, eventually replacing some original ones, and finally this process may create conflicts, and in some extreme cases block all multimedia applications.

2. Codec-Sniper http://www.videohelp.com/download/codec_sniper.zip
Codec Sniper Fix Codec Problems
Codec Sniper is a simple, small and easy-to-use tool that will show all of the Directshow, video and audio codecs on your computer. Codec-Sniper also features a column in which you may see whether the codec is ?OK?, or ?Broken?. This smart application also allows you to delete any codecs that you know are old or that you don?t need.

I am going to stress again that codecs are very sensitive and don?t mess around with them when they are working perfectly fine. Both Codec-Sniper and Filmerit should only be used when you encounter problems in video playback. Both tools are portable and free, so they are going in to my USB flash drive when I go out to service computers.

I'll try this tonight...been a crazy few weeks, but let's see hope this plays out.

WMP11 with the correct codecs works excellent.
I dont get why people shit all over WMP, it works fine, playing everything from .flv to highdefinition .mkv stuff.
Some people just have to diss Microsoft I guess, no matter how the software works.

Some people just don't like it's DRM, especially my friend who had it disable ALL of his MP3 files even though he ripped them from his on cds. I had to fix that for him and it took about 3 hours of registry hacking.
I will never let WMP or Real Player run on any of my pcs.

I use VLC or Gom player.

To the OP:
yeah, stay away from codec packs. Start with just xvid and the AC3 audio filter. Later, if you have a file that won't play check it with this:
http://gspot.headbands.com/ then google for the codec it says is needed.
Here's a good place to start your codec search:
http://www.videohelp.com/tools/sections/codecs
If vlc won't play something either the file is damaged or the codecs or direct show installation on your pc is trashed.
I managed to blow up direct show on one of my pcs. That was a boat load of fun to fix.

Last edited:
Guys I think I got it to work!

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/Windows-Media-Player-sound-but-no-video-t65208.html

"One way to see what codecs your video files require is to use a codec/video inspector that will tell you what codecs that particular file is requesting. I recommend the free program "VideoInspector", it is very easy to use (drag and drop video file onto program window) and even will give you links to download missing codecs. Check it out:
http://www.kcsoftwares.com/index.php?download"

You don't need to find out the codec, just get a pack of all of them.