Porsche and VW agree merger (not my title)

Spectre

The Deported
Car(s)
00 4Runner | 02 919 | 87 XJ6 | 86 CB700SC
From the Financial Times:

Porsche and VW agree merger

By Daniel Sch?fer in Frankfurt

Published: May 6 2009 19:22 | Last updated: May 7 2009 00:04

Volkswagen and Porsche announced plans to merge on Wednesday in a move that would relieve the sports carmaker from its debt burden and bring the 3?-year takeover saga surrounding Europe?s largest carmaker to an end.

After a meeting of the Porsche family owners and VW and Porsche executives in Salzburg, the family clan agreed to create an ?integrated car-manufacturing group? with 10 marques united under one roof.

The move would in effect set Porsche aside from the nine existing brands of the VW group and bring the sports carmaker?s hopes of a domination of Europe?s largest carmaker to an end.

?The independence of all brands and explicitly also of Porsche shall be ensured,? Porsche said in a statement.

People close to the situation said the plan to create a new holding company would be preceded by a capital increase of up to ?4.5bn ($5.9bn) at the stock market-listed Porsche holding.

Porsche said a task force of Porsche and VW managers, works council representatives from both companies and the state of Lower Saxony aimed to devise final details of the company structure in the next four weeks.

Lower Saxony owns just over 20 per cent in VW and has the right to block crucial decisions such as a merger.

Wednesday?s agreement closed a family schism that had opened between Wolfgang Porsche, chairman of the eponymous carmaker, and Ferdinand Pi?ch, chairman at VW, in recent weeks.

The headstrong family managers had clashed over how to bail out Porsche, which is ailing under a ?9bn debt load from its stake-building at VW.

Mr Porsche had rebuffed an idea by Mr Pi?ch for VW to take over Porsche AG, the automotive business that is owned by the indebted holding company.

Porsche has used a contentious options strategy and spent about ?23bn to gain control of a nearly 51 per cent stake in VW. It had initially aimed to increase that stake to more than 75 per cent to control the carmaker through a domination agreement.

The new car group could aim to attract outside investors. People close to the situation said several sovereign wealth investors from the Middle East, one from Qatar, had expressed interest in investing in a combined VW/Porsche group.

It appears management stupidity and overreach is not confined to the US. So much for "the world's most profitable car manufacturer."

It was a stupid idea to begin with, and now they pay the price for actually trying to pull it though.

That ?9bn debt took me by surprise. So much for "the world's most profitable car manufacturer." (Spectre et. al. 2009)
Even in this shithole city in this shithole country I can?t go downtown without stumbling on a couple Cayennes!

Last edited:
Well if they hadn't tried to take over VW, that debt simply wouldn't exist. Obviously, you don't just buy Volkswagen and all its appendices, even if you're the world's most profitable car manufacturer.

Last edited:
You know how otherwise sane-seeming people buy old heaps and call them "project cars"? Yeah, this.

Believe me, this is not nearly as bad as it seems to be. Wiedeking and H?rter just have another ace up their sleeves and the media is completely in the dark.

So much for "the world's most profitable car manufacturer."

What does that deal have to do with the productivity or profitability of Porsche?

Schadenfreude aside, one has to admit that the takeover would have worked, if the current crisis hadn't gotten in the way. And the fact that it failed, doesn't mean that Porsche isn't a highly profitable company anymore, which hasn't made huge profits in recent years. It has been. And will be.

The merger is a good thing, because it guarantees the survival and independence of the brands within the new holding - while I always had the bad feeling, that in the case of a takeover Porsche would have used its power to get rid of unpleasant competition (like for example from Audi and Lamborghini).

However, I'm sure most of the other car makers envy VW and Porsche for their problems...

Last edited:
What does that deal have to do with the productivity or profitability of Porsche?

Schadenfreude aside, one has to admit that the takeover would have worked, if the current crisis hadn't gotten in the way. And the fact that it failed, doesn't mean that Porsche isn't a highly profitable company anymore, which hasn't made huge profits in recent years. It has been. And will be.

The merger is a good thing, because it guarantees the survival and independence of the brands within the new holding - while I always had the bad feeling, that in the case of a takeover Porsche would have used its power to get rid of unpleasant competition (like for example from Audi and Lamborghini).

However, I'm sure most of the other car makers envy VW and Porsche for their problems...
There is just a bit of a concern over the debt. If it weren't for the crisis the combined VAG-Porsche group could have settled debts pretty quickly. Now it would be a bit more difficult. The problem that I think Spectre is talking about is the fact that VAG and Porsche ended up merging amicably and Porsche spent all this time and money to try a hostile take over, had both sides been less bullheaded this situation could have been resolved much sooner and without a 9bn debt for the newly created holding company.

Well, the clash between the owner families has been going on for some time now (I think I posted at least two articles about that here) and it looks like the global economy has forced a solution now. Otherwise each side still might try to gain the upper hand.

So the good news is, that they are still able to function within reason, when it counts.

Do I have this straight?

Porsche: "aha masterful ninja loot takeover! zing! all your investors r commit suicide"

VW: "no u"

Porsche: "k"

Is this largely correct?

Well, the clash between the owner families has been going on for some time now (I think I posted at least two articles about that here)

Which is pretty much the problem that Spectre was talking about. Its good that they decided to stop being little bitches about it but it could have been avoided. I just hope that they can survive and keep building sweet cars :)

that is a logical step for the two companies to do. Especially as the EUR 9 bil is quite a lot of debt for a relatively small company that Porsche is. Although I agree with the comments above that the crisis has sort of "pushed them" to do it, as refinancing the debt would be tricky in today's markets.

It currently looks like that 72 year old Ferdinand Piech will once again be the strong man in the new holding. He just fired a verbal granade in the direction of Porsche CEO Wendelin Wiedeking.

Asked, if he still trusted Wiedeking, Piech replied: "Zurzeit noch. Streichen Sie das 'noch'", which means: "So far for the moment. Delete the 'so far'".

Clearly Wiedeking's chair is very unstable at the moment. I suppose he was a bit too brisk and people at Porsche were already thinking that Piech is out of the picture. That was a mistake. The emperor strikes back :D

Piech has no heart for number crunchers and he has always despised the way Porsche financed the attempted takeover with money earned on the financial markets and not with selling cars.

*bump*

they called it off, it seems:
Volkswagen Halts Porsche Merger Talks After Two Weeks (Update2)
2009-05-18 07:33:33.885 GMT

(Adds shares in fifth paragraph, strike details in sixth.)

By Oliver Suess and Andreas Cremer
May 18 (Bloomberg) -- Volkswagen AG, Europe?s largest automaker, called off talks with Porsche SE about a merger less than two weeks after the sports-car manufacturer?s controlling families agreed to pursue a combination.
?There is currently no atmosphere for constructive talks,? Christine Ritz, a spokeswoman at Volkswagen, said yesterday in a telephone interview. In a statement, Porsche said that while a meeting scheduled for today had been canceled, negotiations will resume. It didn?t give details.
The Porsche and Piech families, which together control half of Porsche, agreed May 6 to create an ?integrated? carmaker that would put Porsche alongside VW brands including Skoda and Audi. Talks to hash out details of a merger are on hold after VW Supervisory Board Chairman Ferdinand Piech said May 11 that VW wouldn?t help ?solve? Porsche?s financial problem and that Porsche must trim its 9 billion euros ($12 billion) in net debt.
?War has erupted again between Volkswagen and Porsche,?
said Ferdinand Dudenhoeffer, director of the Center for Automotive Research at the University of Duisburg-Essen.
Dudenhoeffer was head of marketing strategy and research at Porsche from 1987 to 1990. ?Piech is behind that.?
Porsche fell as much as 2.48 euros, or 6 percent, to 38.77 euros and traded at 38.95 euros as of 9:25 a.m. in Frankfurt.
The stock has slumped about 30 percent since May 6, cutting the carmaker?s market value to 6.9 billion euros. Volkswagen dropped
4.53 euros, or 2.1 percent, to 215.78 euros.

Porsche Strike

About 8,000 workers at Porsche?s main Zuffenhausen factory and a research facility in Weissach near Stuttgart have been called to walk off their shifts today from 9 a.m., according to Michaela Klingler, a spokeswoman for Porsche?s works council.
Speaking to reporters on May 11 in Sardinia, Italy, Piech said that Porsche Chief Executive Officer Wendelin Wiedeking and Chief Financial Officer Holger Haerter were partly responsible for the sports-car maker?s increasing debt.
A spokesman for Piech couldn?t be reached for a comment.
Porsche owns about 51 percent of Wolfsburg, Germany-based Volkswagen, whose automotive division had 10.7 billion euros in net cash as of March 31. The maker of the 911 sports car had been accumulating Volkswagen shares since 2005 to protect ties to its largest supplier.
Porsche Supervisory Board Chairman Wolfgang Porsche was struggling to raise financing to boost the stake to 75 percent and had been at loggerheads with Piech about how to unite the carmakers. The May 6 agreement between the families effectively put on hold Porsche?s plan to further bolster its stake in Volkswagen by acquiring VW shares.

?No Hurry?

The Porsche family is upset over Piech?s remarks and is concerned that they may hurt the value of the carmaker, Der Spiegel said on its Web site. When asked whether Volkswagen would pay 11 billion euros for Porsche AG, the operating unit of Porsche SE, Piech said that amount is ?definitely a few billion too high,? according to the magazine.
Porsche must ensure ?absolute transparency? in its talks on combining the carmakers, Volkswagen CEO Martin Martin Winterkorn wrote in a letter to senior managers dated yesterday.
?We must get a clear idea of the true state of affairs at Porsche,? he wrote. ?It?s in the interest of all concerned to ensure that there?s no threat to Volkswagen?s financial stability.?
On May 7, a day after the initial pact, Porsche fell the most in at least 13 years on the Frankfurt exchange. The stock has fallen 21 percent this year.

Works Council

Winterkorn said he backed a decision by Bernd Osterloh, VW?s works council, to quit the talks with Porsche.
?We will not allow anyone to pressurize us into taking precipitate action,? Winterkorn wrote, adding that negotiations with Porsche require a ?constructive? atmosphere.
?This is not the case at the moment,? the CEO wrote.
?We?re not in any hurry.?
Porsche spokesman Albrecht Bamler said yesterday that the situation may become clearer today. He declined to elaborate and wouldn?t comment on today?s strike.
The 72-year-old Piech is a grandson of Ferdinand Porsche, who founded the sports-car manufacturer and was Volkswagen?s first leader when the carmaker was set up under Adolf Hitler?s Nazi regime in the 1930s. In addition to leading the supervisory board at Volkswagen, where he was CEO for nine years until becoming chairman in 2002, Piech is a member of Porsche?s board.
Any agreement between Porsche and VW will require approval by Volkswagen?s home state of Lower Saxony, which has a right to veto decisions through its 20 percent stake in VW. The automakers, worker representatives and Lower Saxony officials will decide on the new group?s structure over a four-week period, Porsche SE said May 8.
?Piech wants to form Volkswagen according to his own ideas and he also wants to give Porsche and CEO Wendelin Wiedeking the boot,? Dudenhoeffer said.

Which means that perhaps "the most profitable car maker in the world" is going to be stuck with that $12 billion in debt in a crap market for their products.

It's not called off - it's just that VW is now showing its muscles. They called the talks off because currently people at Porsche obviously don't know, what they want.

So today Porsche workers demonstrated against Ferdinand Piech, because he said such mean things :lol: