Stupid Driver Stories

What really shits me on my daily drive to uni is people who don't know at what rate they should apply the brakes to stop at the lights. I've almost run into the back of people because they'll apply the brakes really hard before realising they're going to stop well short of the line, so they let off the brakes and cruise the rest of the way before braking again.

I will occasionally do this intentionally if I notice the person behind me has made a habit of not paying much attention to when traffic slows down. Not very hard breaking but enough to make it appear I'm going to stop a car length or so before I really intend to. Even so I almost had a lady run into me because she was texting...she did put the phone down after that though.

I will occasionally do this intentionally if I notice the person behind me has made a habit of not paying much attention to when traffic slows down. Not very hard breaking but enough to make it appear I'm going to stop a car length or so before I really intend to. Even so I almost had a lady run into me because she was texting...she did put the phone down after that though.

I like doing that when there aren't really any cars around. Though I'm a little different as I like to brake at the last possible moment to still stop where I would if I had braked normally. Wakes me up and also good brake distance training :p

^yeah me too... I always do that when there's no one else around, mostly because sometimes you do get it wrong and skid too far, looking like an ass :oops:

After being so angry about a few people nearly hitting me while performing illegal maneuvers and getting away with it, justice has finally been served.
Intersection.jpg

I figured it was worth a shot to make this easier to visualize because it's a really messed up junction. Traffic heading "upwards" has the right of way through the intersection. Traffic going RIGHT across MUST yield to traffic going upwards. Traffic going LEFT has to stop before heading through.

There are no lights, and it's honestly a really stupid intersection. Tourists get confused and accidents happen often. I'm heading through the intersection and have the right of way. Once again, an SUV from Massachusetts tries to go straight through and nearly hits me, which happens nearly every day. He stops as I go by and then nearly hits another person, acting like he can just blast right through. FINALLY a state trooper is there to witness it, and hopefully issues the asshole a nice ticket. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Argh... my third near-accident. I was on my Yamaha this afternoon, slow lane on the M4. Moving along with buses and lorrys and such, then an Escalade speed up in the lane on my left. It switched to my lane and started coming up quickly behind me, and almost ran into me before the driver saw me and slowed down.

Why did the Escalade driver not see me, and yet bus and lorry drivers magically give way/stop for me?
:censored:

because people who drive suvs like that are more of cocks then any other car on the road.

After my accident today... I think EVERYONE should be involved in a minor accident (30mph and under) where it leaves you shaking and where you realize you're NOT impervious when driving. :mad:

I had a 40 mph one so I'm good.

Argh... my third near-accident. I was on my Yamaha this afternoon, slow lane on the M4. Moving along with buses and lorrys and such, then an Escalade speed up in the lane on my left. It switched to my lane and started coming up quickly behind me, and almost ran into me before the driver saw me and slowed down.

Why did the Escalade driver not see me, and yet bus and lorry drivers magically give way/stop for me?

Damn I'm not even counting my near accidents anymore.

Speaking of those though, the other day I was making a left into a 2 way street. There is some dude moron in a new Beetle (sorry Kat) trying to get out of parallel parking. He starts moving a little, pokes his nose out and stops. So I figure he sees me comming in. There is a car going the other way and the street is pretty narrow. So as soon as my nose is where his driver's door ends he decides its good time to pull out. Had to lay on the horn and evade (remember the is a car going the opposite way too) only thing that saved me was blind luck and ability to judge distance because I was like inches from either one.
After my accident today... I think EVERYONE should be involved in a minor accident (30mph and under) where it leaves you shaking and where you realize you're NOT impervious when driving.
I got you beat mine was like 10mph at most.....

Last edited:

The one good thing about being on a motorcycle is you can pull up next to idiots and knock on their windows. I went along on one of my dad's Triumph club rides when some idiot in a Trailblazer merged right in the path of one of the bikes. Come the next red light there's 20 big guys in leather all pissed as hell, she did the whole pretend nothings going on, keep talking on my cell phone routine, but she was scared shitless.

I had a motorcyclist less than a metre from my bumper at the lights today revving his engine very loudly and then decided to put both feet on the ground and fold his arms whilst still waiting for the lights, so he wasn't set up to go when the lights went green. He then decided to undertake me because I was too slow (doing the speed limit), then didn't do a head check to merge back over and nearly went into the side of my car. When he did merge over (illegally), he nearly went into the back of a truck when he didn't brake until the last minute, causing the back wheel to nearly come off the ground. Best thing was that it then started raining, and he didn't have anything to protect him on... I love karma.

Disclaimer- I love motorcycles, and am a learner motorcyclist myself. But there are way too many motorcyclists like this in my area. I think that there needs to be regular practical testing of motorcyclists, too many morons are out there (this applies to cars too- I've lost count of how many times people have nearly crashed into me)

[...] I think that there needs to be regular practical testing of motorcyclists, too many morons are out there (this applies to cars too- I've lost count of how many times people have nearly crashed into me)
That doesn?t only count for bikers ... there are a lot of Car drivers out there that easily match moron-bikers for stupidiy (and don?t get me startet on cyclists!).

But the Problem is ... I recon, most of them actually can drive/ride. They are just over confident and want to show off (or misunderstand the commute to work or "getting somewhere" as some sport to massage their ego with) ...
They wouldn?t fail a driving test ... they are not incompetent (most of them at least), just Assholes.

Last edited:
I first experienced driving past the private school at the top of my road at rush hour. Seriously, I have never seen more Chelsea tractors in the same place.

There is also a fairly thin lane (it is just wide enough for two cars) which I was driving down, where I came across some traffic. Sure enough there was a taxi as far over as he could be, and a Volvo XC90 (surprisingly) also as far over as it could be. Except that there was a gap of about 10cm between the two cars, yet neither was moving (if I was in the XC90, I would have gone - it was obviously clear - but I couldn't see in front of the taxi). I waited back, but it took the taxi reversing back before the woman went anywhere. Why the fuck can't they drive, or at least know where their car is.
Even I know how to drive better than them, and I still have big L plates on the car. I suggest we have a new type of sign, that says 'SR' for School Run, and is advising you to stay away from these cars.

Had a real funny one today. I was leaving home to go to my first job of the day. I was headed on a long road that leads to the interstate. Well some ass hat in an Audi S4 pulls out of a grocery store nearly getting himself t-boned by oncoming traffic and I damn near ran into the back of him. I proceeded to tailgate him to show my displeasure and I was trying to back off but he kept slowing down. Well we came to an area with a short passing lane so he kept going slow. Probably thinking was dumb enough to try and pass him in my 4cyl Escape. I didn't fall for it so once it ran out he got mad and floored it. Now it came to his turn off and I honk as I pass him. He couldn't tolerate this so he pulls out and comes after me. We get to a short passing zone and he passes me and get's in front trying to pull his little game again. So I sat there and tailed his ass again, all the while laughing my ass off. This goes on for a couple of miles before he turns of to flip around and go back. I made sure to give him the wanker as he did.

That made my day. Not often some jackass makes you laugh. I really wanted a sign that said, you taught me a lesson I won't soon forget......... ya' jackass.

Last edited:
When I was getting a lift over to a friend's house yesterday I saw a Chevy Lacetti estate waiting to pull out of Aldi onto a 5 exit roundabout the wrong way.

I didn't get a good look at the driver (big roundabout) but I think they were female and I would assume they are from a country that drives on the right. It didn't dawn on her until she went to pull away and nearly got the nose of the car ripped off. She was in no rush to reverse go the right way though.

Another near miss today: :blink:

"Dumdidum..."
https://pic.armedcats.net/l/li/lipadier/2009/05/22/1.JPG

"Hm, I think parallel parking facing the traffic isn't a good idea"...
https://pic.armedcats.net/l/li/lipadier/2009/05/22/2.JPG

"That's why!"
https://pic.armedcats.net/l/li/lipadier/2009/05/22/out.JPG

"Brake test time!"
https://pic.armedcats.net/l/li/lipadier/2009/05/22/3.JPG

"Phew, close call."
https://pic.armedcats.net/l/li/lipadier/2009/05/22/4.JPG

Love the hand gesture while he rolls back = "After you, please"
Well, thank you. How nice of you. Too kind. :rolleyes:
https://pic.armedcats.net/l/li/lipadier/2009/05/22/5.JPG

I upped the video of this incident on Youtube.

BTW, my videos are 16:9 PAL, but Youtube squeezes them to 4:3. Has someone any infos on how to deal with this? A video conversion tool? Some button on Youtube (to choose the size) I didn't saw?

Greetings, lip

Last edited:
Something similar happened to my dad recently... only difference: he was on a motorbike and damn lucky he managed to stop in time. :mad:
So I completely agree with you, parking against the direction of traffic is one of the most underrated dangers on the road.

wow, lip, that was close...

Did the other driver invite you to drive on or did he said something unpolite?

wow, lip, that was close...

Did the other driver invite you to drive on or did he said something unpolite?
You can see it in the video, it was clearly a polite "sorry, please drive on" hand wave.

BTW, my videos are 16:9 PAL, but Youtube squeezes them to 4:3. Has someone any infos on how to deal with this? A video conversion tool? Some button on Youtube (to choose the size) I didn't saw?

No idea about youtube, but the technique is called *fixed* letterboxing. You can use virtualdub (freeware); look for "letterbox to 4:3" or something similar either under video processing settings, or, more likely, under video filters.

Edit: sorry, was talking bollocks :D letterboxing, that is. Video -> Filters -> Add... -> resize -> Letterbox to aspect ratio 4:3 (in the bottom of the dialog)

Last edited:
Reactions: lip