The netbook thread

Anyone got a good list of netbook must-have softwares?

Also, which antivirus do you guys use on netbooks? Avira lags like hell, so I use Avant (I think thats the name).

The only AV I'll use any more is ESET NOD32 - unobtrusive and performs well enough that I never know it's there. You can d/l a trial down from their site.

Anyone got a good list of netbook must-have softwares?

Also, which antivirus do you guys use on netbooks? Avira lags like hell, so I use Avant (I think thats the name).

Currently, it's running Microsoft Forefront Client Security, it's a very nice, unobtrusive av that uses very few resources.

I use Avira, and have no lag problems.

My AAO is blue as well, but I got the 80 GB HDD. Those SSDs are just not nearly enough space for me... I have a lot of old games.

But then I lose my games... unless WINE has really improved since about 0.9.51

Run Linux and don't worry about viruses ;-)

Thats why I use easy peesy :p

I wonder how well WM7 would run on the eeepc900........(900mhz Celeron M, 2GB Ram, 4+16GB SSD)

Does the EeePC 900 really does run at 900MHz? Because the 701 has the same processor but only runs at 630MHz.

The 900 runs at 900mhz. IIRC there should be a way to unlock the full speed on the older 700s.

doesn't the old 701 is just underclocked 900Mhz, and that could be push back to 900 with some windows software?

the 901 is 1,6Ghz atom and 900 is just 0,9Ghz celleri.

The only AV I'll use any more is ESET NOD32 - unobtrusive and performs well enough that I never know it's there. You can d/l a trial down from their site.

Be careful...NOD32 has a nasty habit of not catching trojans and worms.

Yeah, I tried downgrading the BIOS version to unlock the full speed but the laptop was very unstable (crashed a few times) and the speed gain wasn't that obvious so I went back to the slow speed :)

Be careful...NOD32 has a nasty habit of not catching trojans and worms.

Source? Everything I've seen says otherwise and my own anecdotal experience says it does a much better job than everything else I've tried (McAfee, AVG, Norton).

Of course, not being dumb about it and having a VM to run "questionable" stuff in helps.
;)

Personal experience.

NOD32 is ineffective toward Vundo in particular.
Several months ago I had virus issues - NOD32 did a full scan (archives included) and couldn't find a thing. I put on Spyware Doctor and started a scan. As soon as it found the infected file, NOD32 popped up and also informed me that the file is infected. Well..DUH! Why didn't you tell me earlier, when you scanned it yourself?

I've had other occasions where NOD32 would simply ignore a trojan, while AVG will find it and delete it.

Yeah, I tried downgrading the BIOS version to unlock the full speed but the laptop was very unstable (crashed a few times) and the speed gain wasn't that obvious so I went back to the slow speed :)

Even then, the stock Xandros linux distro should run ok on the 700 right?

I wonder what the 900's battery life would be like running Easy peesy from the SD card instead of win XP.

The Xandros linux bundled with it was made for it so it's very light and runs pretty well :)

Anyway, even at 630MHz I'm quite satisfied with the performance of it.

When I was hunting for a netbook, I was going to go with the Lenovo S10, but my dad bought me the eeepc 900 when I was in Hong Kong at an Asus tech warehouse clearance for less than half the asking price of the S10, so I can't really complain. :)

I ended up going with the Linux version since it has 20GB storage VS only 12GB for the winXP version, then went to the eeepc forum and learnt how to make an n-lited XP install that runs very nicely even with only a 900mhz Celeron M.

I wonder if I can install the the stock Xandros onto the 2GB SD card that currently has easy peesy on it.....then I can dual boot both winXP and Xandros. I love tweaking the little eeepc! Its great fun trying to see how much performance I can get out of what would be considered pretty outdated specs.

Well, if you think about it, when XP came out, 256 MB of RAM and less-than-2 GHz P4s were commonplace. If you want to tweak a comp for performance, try running a 366 MHz Pentium II with 192 MB RAM. I had Office 07 on that thing.

If you want to tweak a comp for performance, try running a 366 MHz Pentium II with 192 MB RAM. I had Office 07 on that thing.

Not fair.
I've ran Win XP on 128RAM :)