The netbook thread

I have an EeePC 1000 with a 160GB HDD running Windows 7.

It's a great little thing, though not really as small and light as a true netbook.

Not fair.
I've ran Win XP on 128RAM :)

Well as long as we are one-upping, that laptop originally had 128 MB RAM but I bought some more on eBay for like $10. Could've fit 256 but of course the new RAM sticks were too big and overlapped each other.

And of course there's that 600 MHz Celeron machine with 64 MB RAM I had XP running on. it ran fine as long as you didn't open any programs.

Not fair.
I've ran Win XP on 128RAM :)

I ran it on an Intel Pentium 233Mhz with 64MB of RAM. It was only marginally slower than Win2K on that machine.... Then again, it was constantly outpaced by tectonic movement anyways....

Just got Win7 installed on my Eee 1000H, and it actually works better than the stock XP install! Better battery life, snappier, etc.

Yup, it runs great on the 1000H... and every single driver and peripheral works too!

Try the mini taskbar... I found the new thick taskbar really annoying on the small resolution screen of the Eee. The mini taskbar is just missing the date under the clock (in addition to smaller icons obviously).

EEE PC 701SD 8Gb Solid-state Harddisk, 7" screen and runs Linux. It is perfect for long trips or just when I need to check the web only. It is better than a phone with WAP, not as good as a full size laptop.

^That's the thing. I find that since the eeepc900 can't run many engineering applications properly (e.g. MATLAB), I'm having to carry around my 12" Asus all the time.

The weird thing is that, with the 22000mha battery, the eeepc 900 with power adapter weights the same as my 12" F9DC + power adapter.....

anybody try this yet

supposed to be optimized for Atom processors...

Damn. I was this close to getting a Dell Mini 9, but I owed my ex alot of money and she needed it to move.

Now every time I see one, I go BAWWWWW. It's like seeing a puppy that you couldn't take home because your dad is allergic. :(

^Aren't mini9s always on special or something in the US?

I wouldn't mind picking one up cheap and hackintoshing it.

On a side note, does anyone find it incredibly annoying trying to pick a good linux distro? There are so many damn ones out there its hard to choose one suitable for your own paritcular needs.

On a side note, does anyone find it incredibly annoying trying to pick a good linux distro? There are so many damn ones out there its hard to choose one suitable for your own paritcular needs.

anybody try this yet

supposed to be optimized for Atom processors...

trying it now, so far so good...

^ Is it really basic, like Xandros and Easy Peasy? I can't find much info or screenshots.

How's that relevant? Anyway, my parents agreed to give me a loan and help me buy it. Looks like I'm gonna have my puppy (and first laptop) after all. :mrgreen:

Unless you're an artist, I'm gonna take away your man card now. :p

Just find what people with your needs use, and keep in mind nothing's perfect. I was pretty surprised when I found out that nearly everyone in my office used Ubuntu or Kubuntu, but so far I'm very happy with it. I think it's alot more flexible than Windows for the things I actually use it for, and I like the warm yet unpretentious look.

Last edited:
^ Is it really basic, like Xandros and Easy Peasy? I can't find much info or screenshots.

since it's a beta,not everything works yet, but it is REALLY basic...

you have a menu at the top of the screen for connecting to the internet, viewing videos, playing some lame games that come with it, and that's basically it

it is a whole lot quicker than XP is though, except, weirdly, when it comes to surfing...

may have had something to do with the fact I booted it off a USB drive (not wanting to ruin my HDD for something I may not end up using)

I just want to see what all the fuss is about :p

Then get a proper Mac... from what I understand, getting OS X to work is a bitch and not every thing works on the Atom machines.

Plus, the best thing about OS X is the fact that it's paired with Apple's own hardware. There's basically no point in installing it on random hardware.

NooDle, thanks for the info. Guess I won't bother trying it out, wasted enough time and bandwidth on Linux distros a while back.