The netbook thread

Is has only 600 pixels of height and no F11 key... :/

I honestly don't know when I last used my F11 key.

It lives up in the 'abandoned corner' of my keyboard, near the 'pause' button, which interestingly does nothing when pressed. This raises the question, is it doing its job?

I honestly don't know when I last used my F11 key.

It lives up in the 'abandoned corner' of my keyboard, near the 'pause' button, which interestingly does nothing when pressed. This raises the question, is it doing its job?

It's useful when reading manpages, and browsing the interweb on wide screens. ;)

Ah the good old pause key... I used to always try and use it to read some scrolling error message in DOS, and it would never work. I'd have to try it ten times so it would pause on the right screen. :p`

My current keyboard does away with most of those things... I still have the insert button though, hate it when you accidentally press it and Microsoft Word starts eating up letters.

I still use the pause key on occasion, but I wouldn't be put-out if it weren't on my laptop's keyboard, because ^s works just as well. As for the insert key, I use that all the time- it switches between insert and replace modes without having to switch out to command mode (in vim).

The pause key actually pauses some older games. Rollercoaster Tycoon I believe.

I still use the pause key on occasion, but I wouldn't be put-out if it weren't on my laptop's keyboard, because ^s works just as well. As for the insert key, I use that all the time- it switches between insert and replace modes without having to switch out to command mode (in vim).

you don't need the insert key for vi(m), just use i for insert at cursor pos, a for insert after cursor pos (append), r for single char replace and R multi char replace :p

you don't need the insert key for vi(m), just use i for insert at cursor pos, a for insert after cursor pos (append), r for single char replace and R multi char replace :p
I know you don't need the insert key, but I use it to switch between insert mode and replace mode (i/a and R) without having to hit escape (command mode) in between. It comes in handy when I'm using replace mode to overwrite some stuff and realize I need to add a few characters at the end.

The netbook thread

What netbooks do people on FG use?

I have an Asus eeepc 900 with 2GB of ram and a 22000mha battery which weights as much as the netbook itself :lol:

Running n-lited XP with easy peasy Ubuntu running from a 2GB SD card.

Vostro A90 2x64 running OSX with XP in a VM.

DSC_2054s.jpg

Last edited:
I use an Eee 1000H running a bone stock install of Xubuntu 9.04 on a 16gb SD card, with the stock install of WinXP still on the internal HDD. Get about 6 hours of battery in Windows, about 4-6 in Ubuntu, depending on how it's configured at any one time.

Running and EeePC 900HA with a 160GB HDD with Windows 7 and 1GB of RAM. Battery is a giant 5200mAh one. Bigger than the one in my 16.4" VAIO.

https://pic.armedcats.net/c/cr/cruzz563/2009/05/05/IMG_1399_sm.png

Last edited:
8.9" Aspire one, 1 GB RAM, stock install of XP. 7 is tempting but I really don't want to bother formatting the thing.

Advent 4211 which is a rebadged MSI Wind 10", running Windows XP.
Had it about a year now.

8.9" Acer Aspire One, in blue.

8 gig hard drive (and two 8 gig SD cards), 1.5 gigs of RAM, and running TinyXP.

Love the thing to bits.

Anyone got a good list of netbook must-have softwares?

Also, which antivirus do you guys use on netbooks? Avira lags like hell, so I use Avant (I think thats the name).