Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Why is it that it's the Americans (both North and South) on this thread that know about car care and the Europeans never seem to open the hood? :p

Hey! :mad: I'm a brit and I restored a Miata! And I work on bikes all the time!:mad:

:p

Hey! :mad: I'm a brit and I restored a Miata! And I work on bikes all the time!:mad:

:p

Brits don't really count as Europeans. You live on an island off the coast and you have completely different customs. And, since most of the cars you made were rubbish, it is completely understandable that most people have basic car skills there. :D

Though perhaps I should have clarified it as "Continental Europeans".

Well, when BMW won't even let new owners change their own oil...there's your sign.

Does the Miata ring a bell?

They're one option, yes. I was wondering if others existed.

Unfortunately, the well of Japanese RWD coupes seems to have mostly dried up in the early 90s. Hard finding a late 90s car that isn't too old.

Why is it that it's the Americans (both North and South) on this thread that know about car care and the Europeans never seem to open the hood? :p

Having seen both sides, I have an answer for you.

Space.

The majority of people in Europe live in apartments, or houses with small yards. Not everyone has a garage.

Second of all, in Eastern Europe specifically labor costs are CHEAP! Oil change (not including the oil, of course)...$3.00. So why bother changing it yourself?
Timing belt change, on a VW with the belt and tensioners - $250. (the belt and tensioners alone in the US cost $200)

Having seen both sides, I have an answer for you.

Space.

The majority of people in Europe live in apartments, or houses with small yards. Not everyone has a garage.

Second of all, in Eastern Europe specifically labor costs are CHEAP! Oil change (not including the oil, of course)...$3.00. So why bother changing it yourself?
Timing belt change, on a VW with the belt and tensioners - $250. (the belt and tensioners alone in the US cost $200)

So, what you're saying is that most of them prefer living in sardine cans and are too lazy to bother learning about their car because they make it someone else's problem. :p :D

Last edited:
Some of us have no choice. If you want to live near the centre of a city, you have to live in an apartment. And we don't like travelling a lot to get to work ($5 per gallon gas), no parking spaces...sometimes public transport is the only way (people that live in NYC will also know what I'm talking about).
We don't like having to drive 40 miles just to get to work every day.

About making it someone else's problem - people have to earn a living right? And I actually think that the example I gave, with the $3 oil change represents the actual cost of this service. I can't believe that places like Walmart are charging $30 for a procedure that takes them less than 10 minutes!

Well, Walmart's labor and disposal charge is actually about $11-13 - the rest is the cost of the oil and filter of your choice.

am i the only one that has a fantasy of powersliding a Lincoln town car stretch

Last edited:
Okay, well now that that battle has been won, perform Blitzkrieg and send the troops in to capture the next territory: MX-5-Land.

that's evasive driving i mean proper powersliding, crazyrussian540 sig style

I would like to take a Town Car Limo on a track day..or a skidpan.

You're more German than American as best I can tell. :mrgreen: On the other hand, you apparently know more than most of the Euros posting here.

German? Nah, get it right - Bavarian. Fuck Germany!

But, if you look around in my house, the only passports you're gonna find are from USA.

Toyota MR2 or MR2 Turbo.

Does the Lexus LX470 have air suspension? My dad seems convinced that it does.

It has adjustable suspention height if that's what you mean...

Odd... I was just looking at MX-5 specs online, and there seems to be no option to chose between the hardtop and the softtop when selecting the model to view the specs for.... does that mean that they weigh exactly the same? Or is the Mazda website just confusing me....

*ahem*
I know how to do most of the maintenance on a car, since I've been in my dad's garage a lot, and also used to work there as a carcleaner/ mechanic aid. But, tbh, I generally let the mechanics at my dad's place do most of the work on my car, mostly because I can spend that time better on my house and family. It used to be because of space, no personal driveway and just a big carpark in the street doesn't really work for maintenance work.

Testing the waters.

So. RWD, manual gearbox, reliable/cheap to run, run till 250k miles, <$5k used. Does it exist?

Look to the "car" field in my profile. Although manuals may be a bit hard to come by on your side of the pond.
Odd... I was just looking at MX-5 specs online, and there seems to be no option to chose between the hardtop and the softtop when selecting the model to view the specs for.... does that mean that they weigh exactly the same? Or is the Mazda website just confusing me....

MX5.png

Last edited: