Monopoly City Streets

CrzRsn

So long, and thanks for all the fish
Car(s)
13 Ford Mustang GT, 17 Ford Fiesta ST
I expect most of you reading this have played Monopoly with family and friends at one time or another. Now, thanks to a collaboration between its publisher Hasbro and Google, the humble board game has been turned into a massively-multiplayer online game, which allows anyone in the world to buy (almost) any street in the world.

Monopoly is a board game created during The Great Depression of the 1930s. Since then, it has gone on to become the most commercially-successful board game in the history of the United States, with an estimated 750 million people having at one time played it. Although how many many of those actually completed a game isn?t recorded.

Now, in another time of great economic upheaval, that figure is likely to go through the roof, with a global online version named Monopoly City Streets being unveiled. The game is the brainchild of Hasbro?s U.K. agency, Tribal DDB, and uses Google Maps to turn a simple board game into a MMO strategy game which puts every street that is featured on the Google service up for sale.

Players worldwide are given a starting budget of $3 million Monopoly dollars and the mission to build the largest real estate empire in the world. Streets are available at a set price and rents are then paid out on any you own. You can construct a variety of buildings on your property with the ultimate goal to earn more money from your empire than anyone else does from theirs.

There are added twists with trading and selling possible between players, and chance cards which enable sabotage of neighboring properties.

Monopoly City Streets launched today (Sept. 9) and the game will last for four months, ending on January 31, 2010. It?s free to play and looks set to nab millions of players. In fact, today?s launch was so successful that the servers crashed, meaning it is now impossible to create an account and log-in.

The game is available to play at Monopolycitystreets.com, with a blog detailing the various goings-on located at Blog.Monopolycitystreets.com.

They just reset their servers a few days ago, and I've been playing since. Its really quite fun.... Monopoly with (almost) the whole world.

Cool! I found a nice street right across from Stamford Bridge. :) Property is hard to find in London so I got lucky!

I got lucky, most of my town is wide open; I was able to grab my own street and several surrounding.

I have one account for grabbing streets like the ones I live on, and work on.
I'm actually using another account to buy profitable streets, like really long ones one which I can build a lot of stuff.

meh.. most of my hometown was taken...

Hey hey, a lot of my area is unclaimed. Meet the new real estate monster.

It seems there is a bit of a cheating problem.

Last edited:
Hey hey, a lot of my area is unclaimed. Meet the new real estate monster.

It seems there is a bit of a cheating problem.

How so?

This sucks, my street was taken, so I had to take a few others close by. Seems like theres tonnes of people playing.

I got a chance card with a free demolish, so I demolished the property positioned right on top of my house. :lol:

I managed to buy what is actually a pretty decent street, but quite a lot of my town is taken :(

bought my street here in California...

Sucks that the street I lived on in Italy is right smack in the middle of downtown Florence. All that was bought up before another Italian had the chance to forgo a shower for the day and just spray on cologne instead.

And Mugello is bought up too :( By the user "valerossi"... what an asshole.