Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

lorinsersls_10.jpg

Now that I really like.

Question - when replacing front axles - do I need to replace both at the same time (like brakes) or could I change just one? (I have a torn CV boot)

Also, do I have to do allignment after replacing axles, does the replacing process involve disconnecting the steering rods?

You replace then as individual units, not axle sets. You don't necessarily have to replace the CV axles to replace CV boots if the CV joint is intact and not contaminated. I suggest investigating a product called the "Speedi-Boot", made by Motormite and available at Autozone.

You usually do not have to do an alignment after replacing a CV axle. Replacement may involve detaching the tie rod ends from the steering arm on the affected hub, but that doesn't affect alignment (you use a ball joint tool and pop it off the arm).

However, if you need to replace a CV joint, now is a good time to consider replacing bushings, ball joints, etc., since you'll have all of that in front of you and disassembled.

God almighty I wish I had the money to buy, import and fix up one of these:

WMc_015.jpg

:(

You replace then as individual units, not axle sets. You don't necessarily have to replace the CV axles to replace CV boots if the CV joint is intact and not contaminated. I suggest investigating a product called the "Speedi-Boot", made by Motormite and available at Autozone.

You usually do not have to do an alignment after replacing a CV axle. Replacement may involve detaching the tie rod ends from the steering arm on the affected hub, but that doesn't affect alignment (you use a ball joint tool and pop it off the arm).

However, if you need to replace a CV joint, now is a good time to consider replacing bushings, ball joints, etc., since you'll have all of that in front of you and disassembled.

Thanks!
Well I think I might have to replace the whole axle, since I can hear a slight knocking noise when I turn the wheel in that direction. It is not a constant noise, it only happens at a certain angle of turning. I think that all the grease may have come out of the CV boot.

Finally got around to measuring my gas mileage, since I have to do it the old fashioned way (trip meter + pump meter).

24.1 MPG, EPA is 18/25. I kind of miss the 32 I could get out of the Sebring, but I kind of really don't miss everything else.

can someone get me a link for that site in which you input the Registration Plate of a UK car and it tells you the make, model, and condition of the car.

Thanks!
Well I think I might have to replace the whole axle, since I can hear a slight knocking noise when I turn the wheel in that direction. It is not a constant noise, it only happens at a certain angle of turning. I think that all the grease may have come out of the CV boot.

That sounds about right. Just look inside the boot. If the grease is gone then so is the C/V. However, the knock you're hearing is pretty much a dead giveaway as well. You only have to replace the one as Spectre said, as well as a lot of other good advice. Most places should have a core charge as well which gives you money for your old axle.

Had some hairy moments on the way home thanks to the crap roads which allow big pockets of water to build up. Even with some left foot breaking the car still understeered like crazy.

Car's getting serviced tomorrow. Might get the alignment checked as well as I have a feeling there's a bit more toe-in then stock (well, other Echos I've driven anyway).

Last edited:
I might be getting a new limited slip diff from a guy who doesn't know that his crashed 4x4 DOHC Sierra has one :D Second hand ones go for 250-300?, and I offered "20-30?" for it, lets see if he takes it :)

Last edited:
Start pulling spark plugs, they're a bit more sooty than I'd prefer, and I think "Surely a bit of excess carbon doesn't cause a slight misfire when cold" and as I pull them they all look about the same until the second to last one which is gapped half the distance of the others. That'd be the problem. So cleaned up a bit, regapped, and it runs smoother. Now if only I could take care of the carbon buildup.

I did a lap around town on the interstate, but I have a feeling I'm still running rich. I can change to a slightly bigger jet rod though and lean it down some more if needed.

Last edited:
I did a lap around town on the interstate, but I have a feeling I'm still running rich. I can change to a slightly bigger jet though and lean it down some more if needed.

I've noticed that quite a few older muscle cars tend to run rich, because nearly every time I'm behind one, I can smell it. :|

It's a carb thing. Well, the engine needs a full thorough going through as well, but for now it's mostly the carb that's the problem. A more appropriate intake would help quite a bit too, but that will have to wait for next year.

A real conversation between myself and a Subaru Impreza 2.5i driver (a girl). I'm driving her Impreza at the time.

Me: So yeah. My next car is either going to be one of these, or a Jag XJR
Her: You should totally get an STi like this one!
Me: This is NOT an STi.
Her: That's not what I meant. You should get one.
Me: And why's that.
Her: It snows here. Is the Jag AWD?
Me: No, rear wheel.
Her: Then that's bad.
Me: I've driven RWD in the snow plenty. It's fun, and not nearly as hard as you people (meaning Pennsylvanians) think it is
Her: You must be some sort of Driving God.
Me: <gnash the right pedal into the floor, turn in sharply and slide around the next corner> I AM A DRIVING GOD!

.... What, she asked for it.

you're never driving that impreza again are you

oh, you're getting some then...