George W. Bush thought J.K. Rowling was a witch

MacGuffin

Forum Addict
Car(s)
'17 Ford Mustang GT Fastback
JK Rowling lost out on US medal over Harry Potter 'witchcraft'

New book claims that Bush administration officials objected to giving JK Rowling a presidential medal of freedom on the grounds that her Harry Potter books 'encouraged witchcraft'

A memoir by George W Bush's former speechwriter claims that Bush administration officials objected to giving JK Rowling a presidential medal of freedom on the grounds that her Harry Potter books "encouraged witchcraft".

According to the liberal American blog Think Progress, Matt Latimer's Speech-Less: Tales of a White House Survivor reveals how politicised the medal, which is America's highest civilian honour, became during the Bush administration.

Latimer, whose memoir was published last week by Crown in the US, says that the "narrow thinking" of "people in the White House" led them "to actually object to giving the author JK Rowling a presidential medal because the Harry Potter books encouraged witchcraft".

The medal is given to "individuals who make an especially meritorious contribution to the security or national interests of the United States, world peace, cultural or other significant public or private endeavours". During the Bush administration, it was awarded to individuals including Tony Blair, Harper Lee, Muhammad Ali, Alan Greenspan, Nelson Mandela, Doris Day and Charlton Heston.

The first 16 recipients of Barack Obama's presidential medal, handed out in August, included Stephen Hawking and Senator Ted Kennedy ? who, according to Latimer's book, failed to receive the medal during the Bush administration because he was "a liberal".

Source: http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2009/sep/29/harry-potter-rowling-medal

Another proof that not only the Italians elect nutcases as their leaders :lol:

Last edited:
Obvious video response below, much of the same logic being applied there as by the former president no doubt.
[YOUTUBE]zrzMhU_4m-g[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
Yes, that's the kind of age "Dubya" lives in mentally, no doubt about that :)

Unfortunately he's not alone in his country with that.

New book claims that Bush administration officials objected to giving JK Rowling a presidential medal of freedom on the grounds that her Harry Potter books 'encouraged witchcraft'
I'm just saying.

This is only amusing now that he isn't running the country. Probably one of our more enterntaining presidents :lol:

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you the President of the United States.

Bush was an idiot, but I don't think he was that bad.

A memoir by George W Bush's former speechwriter claims that Bush administration officials objected to giving JK Rowling a presidential medal of freedom on the grounds that her Harry Potter books "encouraged witchcraft".

Sure. So it wasn't George himself and it's an unsubstantiated claim.

Don't let minor things like that get in the way of an easy Bush bashing headline!

Yeah, I can't really believe it was Bush who was objecting.

After all, he won't have been able to read any of the books in the first place.

After all, he won't have been able to read any of the books in the first place.

Ah, but not having read a book has never stopped the fanatics. Just think of Salman Rushdie ;) Nobody ever read his book but there he is, still having to fear for his life...

Those brain amputees who said that Harry Potter books promote witchcraft and therefore somehow are dangerous for children, never read them in the firts place, too.

And yes, I believe George W. Bush also is a religious fanatic. It's no secret that he believed himself on a mission from God, when we invaded Iraq. That's where all the lies came from: When you're on a mission from God, everything is justified.

Last edited:
Just think of Salman Rushdie ;) Nobody ever read his book...
I've read rushdie before...

And yes, I believe George W. Bush also is a religious fanatic. It's no secret that he believed himself on a mission from God, when we invaded Iraq.
Where did you find this??? wtf :?

Read the damn article and you'll know that's bullshit.

"President Bush said to all of us: 'I am driven with a mission from God'. God would tell me, 'George go and fight these terrorists in Afghanistan'. And I did. And then God would tell me 'George, go and end the tyranny in Iraq'. And I did."

I don't doubt it could have happened. I don't know if it happened. If it happened, it was his administration, not Bush himself who did it.

I'm surprised there still are people who don't know about Bush's religious zealotry yet...

What about what it said right before that quote:

One of the delegates, Nabil Shaath, who was Palestinian foreign minister at the time, said: "President Bush said to all of us: 'I am driven with a mission from God'. God would tell me, 'George go and fight these terrorists in Afghanistan'. And I did. And then God would tell me 'George, go and end the tyranny in Iraq'. And I did."

Do we have any documentation besides personal accounts? Usually presidential speeches are recorded...

Not speeches in closed diplomatic discussions. Well, recorded probably, but perhaps not public.