Clarkson: The Weekly Times Comment Column by Jeremy Thread

This article reminds me of why I would much rather have a president who I feel is more educated and smarter than me, than one that would be nice to have a beer with.

:nod:

This week: Mad Johnny Baa Lamb is here to save the pit bulls, wherein Jezza is very puzzled about shock centring dog fighting after the heads of a Lincolnshire-based dog-fighting were found guilty on various charges and are now facing jail time.

That, ^, was interesting I suppose. I'm not quite sure what point he was trying to make. So in other words, it was perfect, classic Clarkson I suppose.

lmao!! Aww, that really made me giggle, I could barely read it.... I vote for sheep fighting over dog fighting, like he says, sheep can be eaten if it dies!

"OH NO! I lost! Ah well, tea's sorted."

:lol: Sheep fighting. I prefer the suggestion in the comments though myself.

Seems obvious to me, televised football fan fighting - start with Millwall v West Ham, 5 of their 'hardest' slog it out in Tesco's car park and the first one hospitalised loses. Would solve the ratings problems and football hooliganism in one go. By product would be a gentle re-distrubution of the shallow end of the gene pool, no bad thing.

^ Footy fan fighting would be better, IMO. (But then, I find footy boring. Unless there are small city cars involved.)

Anyway, on to this week's tome: Up to the waist in Brown's slurry on my new farm, wherein Jezza mentions he's bought a new farm...and muses about all the downsides.

This week's article -- Help, quick ? I?ve unscrewed the top on a ticking bomb

We live in a world where everything comes with a warning notice. Railings. Vacuum cleaners. Energy drinks. My quad bike has so many stickers warning me of decapitation, death and impalement that they become a nonsensical blur.

The result is simple. We know these labels are drawn up to protect the manufacturer legally, should you decide one day to insert a vacuum-cleaner pipe up your bottom, or to try to remove your eye with a teaspoon. So we ignore them. They are meaningless. One drop at a time! Use extreme caution! On a sauce. Pah. Plainly it was just American lawyer twaddle.

I like a hot sauce. My bloody marys are known to cure squints. And at an Indian restaurant I will often order a vindaloo, sometimes without the involvement of a wager. So when I accidentally found that bottle of Insanity, I poured maybe half a teaspoonful onto my paella. And tucked in.

never thought he would be so weak.

my previous job, the boss there use to keep a bottle of such a sauce at the office. just to mess with any new employees. just for fun, one day we had one of the sales guy's son try it (dont recall his age, was under 16 i know that much). he tried just a tiny bit of the stuff, and his first reaction was to run to the restroom and shove paper towels in his mouth.

in the end, only another tech guy and i were the ones who could eat the sauce straight up and not flinch. :p

He is so right about Monty Python. When I was younger it came on at 10pm Fri night on PBS. Nothing could keep me from being there. I had to be there because there was no way to record it. If you missed it, it was gone. I knew almost every word by heart. Not another person I knew got the humor. They just thought it was stupid.

I agree with all but one point in that comment: Mitchell and Webb are doing a much better job of carrying the torch of intellectual sketch comedy than Harry and Paul. Sadly I'm not incensed enough to send in a letter that may not be read, much less write a comment on the site.

There?s a very good reason for this. Nowadays people wear their stupidity like a badge of honour. Knowing how to play chess will get your head kicked off. Reading a book with no pictures in it will cause there to be no friend requests on your Facebook page. Little Britain is funny because people vomit a lot. Monty Python is not because they delight in all manifestations of the terpsichorean muse.

When you go on a chat show, it is important you tell the audience straight away that you were brought up in a cardboard box and that your dad would thrash you to sleep every night. If you want to get on and to be popular you have to demonstrate that you know nothing. It?s why Stephen Fry makes so many bottom jokes.

:lol: reminded me of this [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13JK5kChbRw[/YOUTUBE]

Edit: I hadn't finished reading the article when I posted that, which made the end even better for me!

Last edited:
I am a massive fan of comedy, and I agree with him Little Britain is just not funny, it's stupid. I really enjoy the 'older' comedic style... Blackadder was brilliant because it was intelligent, I still remember a joke about Sir Douglas Haigh moving his drinks cabinet six inches closer to Berlin.

Stephen Fry doesn't hide his intelligence though, he might make the odd arse joke but he never ever hides his intelligence and always applauds people for trying on QI.

The odd arse joke can be funny, I'm sure Jezza makes them too.

But yeah, comedy is a thing very close to my heart, I've written comedy for radio and stage and it's really hard to do, so no wonder the majority of comedy nowadays is people walking into doors and falling over tiny dogs.

Low brow comedy and intelligent comedy both have their places, I enjoy both and I'm sure he does too, I'm not really sure what his point is in this, you can't dispell one side and take triumph in the other... they both steal off one another.

p.s. the four yorkshiremen sketch make me squeal laughing! Being from Yorkshire maybe i shouldn't but HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Last edited:
I think it's more of a two-fold lament -- mourning the near-lack of intelligent comedy because no one gets it (which is a reason to mourn in and of itself).

Monty Python was, and is, brilliant. In fact, I think virtually all my favourite comedy shows are British. I also enjoy(ed) Blackadder, Fawlty Towers, Mr. Bean, Are You Being Served?, and -- probably my favourite Brit-Com of all time -- 'Allo 'Allo.

^^^ What she said. I've watched all those shows except for 'Allo 'Allo. I'd add Keeping Up Appearances (it's pronounced Bouquet!), Benny Hill, and Red Dwarf to that list even if the bloke that plays Kryten is a bit of a git.

Monty Python's brilliant. I'm guilty of owning the entire series on DVD, and four of the five movies they made (I don't have And Now for Something Completely Different). There's some sketches I like and some I love.

I agree that Python would never get commissioned today in this age of whingeing by the types of people who read The Grauniad and The Daily Fail.

Case in point:

[youtube]knwwgZNeIpA[/youtube]

^^^ What she said. I've watched all those shows except for 'Allo 'Allo. I'd add Keeping Up Appearances (it's pronounced Bouquet!), Benny Hill, and Red Dwarf to that list even if the bloke that plays Kryten is a bit of a git.

Monty Python's brilliant. I'm guilty of owning the entire series on DVD, and four of the five movies they made (I don't have And Now for Something Completely Different). There's some sketches I like and some I love.

I agree that Python would never get commissioned today in this age of whingeing by the types of people who read The Grauniad and The Daily Fail.

Case in point:

[youtube]knwwgZNeIpA[/youtube]
Never seen Monty Python before but that made me lol.