2009 Brazilian Formula 1 Grand Prix

Great race.

Anyone else think that Barrichello's tyre puncture on the last few laps was a little too convenient?

A great race, I'm glad I stayed up late to watch it.

Anyone else think that Barrichello's tyre puncture on the last few laps was a little too convenient?

Far from it - it was possibly caused by very slight contact from Hamilton's front wing. It's irrelevant to the WDC outcome though - without it Button would've finished 6th and Rubens 4th, which would still have been enough for Button to seal the title. Even if Rubens had held off Hamilton and finished 3rd it wouldn't have been enough to keep the title open.

:rolleyes:

What, Bernie radioed Hamilton to say 'Thwack his rear wheel, will you?'
Sarcasm warning^

Great race. A Webber win, and two Brawn championships.
It's all between Barrichello and Vettel now in Abu Dhabi. bet the organisers there are pleased...

I have been rather quiet here, but... That's what I call a well deserved championship for Button. I cannot imagine how sweet it must be for Button to finally win the championship. At the start of this season he was unsure of wherther he had a drive. Also, after all of the frustration from the last two years, this must really be good for him.

I'm really going to watch a replay of that race...

Forget about the whole Button, Brawn championship thing. A grand prix where they literally set the Iceman on fire? That really is a bit of a race there! :lol:

Brawn got this season for free spending ages designing the car and being way ahead with the car for the first 6-7 races. Meh.

^it seems that's what it takes to win in F1 nowadays, develop your car for ages and bag in as many wins for the first part of the season and then limp around the track defending your lead.

Hmm.. I hate to be the negative voice here, but if memory serves me correctly Barrichello was treated a the second driver after the first few races. the tactics were build to favour Button and Rubens even complained about this (albeit not much), as he was again becoming the number two driver...

I'm not saying that Button didn't deserve his title, but I do think that Rubens would have had a better chance, had he been treated equally for the whole season.

Hmm.. I hate to be the negative voice here, but if memory serves me correctly Barrichello was treated a the second driver after the first few races. the tactics were build to favour Button and Rubens even complained about this (albeit not much), as he was again becoming the number two driver...

I'm not saying that Button didn't deserve his title, but I do think that Rubens would have had a better chance, had he been treated equally for the whole season.

You're kidding right? Ross has spent the whole season trying to make sure the two are treated absolutely fairly. There were a couple of times where they were put on different strategies, but who got which was based on what positions there were in at the time.

Brawn said at one point he'd rather lose the WDC than give team orders.

bad.jpg

Dunno kinda dangerous..Wasn't Webber the one last year who moaned about Lewis doing the same thing at Monza??

Also while I'm at it here's the Trulli/Sutil wreck:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCr4VZj5jCg&fmt=18#t=6m02s

Good one m8. I'm really gutted for Kimi, such a fighter deserves a good result in his final days at Ferrari.Even after being set on fire, he went on. I salute him.

On Button I have no comment.. :-|

Can't believe Peter Windsor actually managed to grab a hold of Kimi for a pre-race interview on the grid :O

Usually Kimi runs a mile, like he did during one of the races this season when he spotted Brundle approaching him! :lol: :lol:

It was caused from hamilton's front wing. The right end plate on his front wing caused the puncture.

cant believe why ppl ask these kind of weird questions all the time. you have to be blind or have a massive brain fade to not see that on the replay in slow motion.

Regarding Button not deserving the championship blah blah only won the first few races blah:
There was a really nice analysis of the season so far on Eurosport.com (german only, meh) that pointed out some things generally forgotten:
-While Jenson finished all but one race, always scoring points when finishing, Vettel retired five times, four of the five times after driver errors. That Jenson won under heavy rain in Sepang and on the notoriously challenging streets of Monaco while Vettel crashed both times should answer anyone who thinks that the Brawn, not the driver won.
-Further evidence for this is that while Red Bull dominated since Silverstone not unlike the Brawns did in the beginning of the season, Vettel did not dominate.
-Eventhough Jenson won six races, he only got points for five and a half victorys as the points for Sepang got halfed (the zero points Vettel got for crashing were not divided by zero).
-Vettel got two penalties while Button only got one, not to mention that Brawn's pit crew did a much steadier job than Red Bulls'.

(see: http://de.eurosport.yahoo.com/19102009/73/gp-brasilien-button-weltmeister.html )

-The person generally forgotten by the british and german media (not on this forum, though!) is Rubens. I don't know if he got treated as a number two after Jenson won the first third of the races (and frankly, i don't think so) but even if he became number two by then, this does not change Jenson, not him winning the first third of the races. If nothing else, he advertised for a number one spot on another team with this season and, in my opinion, would be a much worthier second than Vettel.

Last edited:
Good one m8. I'm really gutted for Kimi, such a fighter deserves a good result in his final days at Ferrari.Even after being set on fire, he went on. I salute him.

R?ikk?nen in pain after fuel spillage
18 October 2009 / Results / Photos

Kimi R?ikk?nen experienced a highly dramatic afternoon in Brazil on Sunday as the Finn recovered from a squeeze onto the grass, an unscheduled pit-stop and a giant fireball at Interlagos. Having almost retired with fuel in his eyes, the 2007 World Champion showed a superb recovery drive to sixth place.

Having qualified in the top five on the track where he was crowned World Champion two years ago, Finland's R?ikk?nen escaped a number of hazards at Interlagos; after being pushed onto the grass by Mark Webber on Lap 1, the leading Ferrari driver then drove over the spilt fuel of compatriot Heikki Kovalainen in the pit lane.

"What happened on the first lap ruined my race," Kimi explained. "First I was hit at the first corner then, when trying to pass Webber I was hit and lost the front wing. At the pit-stop, I ended up with some drops of petrol in my eye, from the fuel line stuck on Kovalainen's car, and then I was engulfed in flames and blinded - I was going to stop but luckily the flames soon went out.

"Even now, my eyes are still burning but I'm alright."
http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/news/2009/10/18/raikkonen-in-pain-after-fuel-spillage/
Ouch. I still love that he wasn't phased out by the whole thing.

Last edited: