Light cars

What, no Geo Metro? First-generation weighed 1694lbs, second-gen weighed 1807. Probably why the 2nd-gen hatchback got 42MPG (and as much sex appeal as roadkill).

Also, if you can pick up a Chevy Sprint Turbo (the predecessor to the Metro), you can go 0-60 in 8.7 seconds in something that weighs 1367lb.

800px-Chevrolet_Sprint_Turbo.jpg

Last edited:
Why the hell do you guys post the weight in pounds anyway? The metric system makes far more sense.

Anyway, the Sierra is ~1150kg, which is pretty light imo, especially if consider that it weighs almost 250kg less than a 997 GT3 RS, which is a track focused car with a lot of weight saving :)

Why the hell do you guys post the weight in pounds anyway? The metric system makes far more sense.

Because a lot of us are Americans and 2000 pounds means more to me than 1000 kilograms.

To me it doesn't. ;-)
We have all agreed on a common language, and why shouldn't we able to agree on a common system then?
I know this already been discussed several times, but I'd vote for metric.
And BMW E30

To me it doesn't. ;-)
We have all agreed on a common language, and why shouldn't we able to agree on a common system then?
And BMW E30

I know, I'm not saying one is better, I'm just explaining why some of us like to measure stuff in pounds. ;)

The one BlaRo posted is the Suzuki Cultus, and it is a light car. I have a 2nd gen (under the Swift name) and I'm almost certain it would fall into this category. Will have to check the log book and see if it is in there.

1st gen Honda Civic - 1500lbs

Honda Beat - 1700lbs

Honda S500/600/800 - 1600lbs

Honda Prelude (1st, 2nd, 3rd generations only) 1990-2300lbs

Suzuki Alto Works 1420lbs

Suzuki Cappuccino - 1500lbs

Hmm, I think I need to fire up Gran Turismo tonight and drive all of these.
I forgot how no weight whatsoever can be cool, even if the car has 3 hp.

My biscuit tin weights 1200kg, which is light compared to a Range Rover. :D

I used to use metric before I moved to the US (well duh). Now that I've been here for a while, I'm far too used to pounds. (Almost) every magazine I read lists weights in pounds, so I'm just used to them. I know an STi is around 3200lbs... and I'm not going to convert that to kilograms every time I need to remember how much it weighs!

I'll update the first post with all your posts when I get a chance - this is hell week for me in terms of work load.

Because a lot of us are Americans and 2000 pounds means more to me than 1000 kilograms.

mostly i try to translate metric into royal so i can make everybody happy, plus type into google "2000 pounds into kg" and you get your answer so you don't have an excuse :p

To me it doesn't. ;-)
And BMW E30

Well then since we are all using English then we should use the weight system used by most English speakers: pounds.

Honda Beat: 760 kg (1,700 lb)
Suzuki Cappucino: 700 kg (1545 lb)

What are some of the lighter "everyday" cars (<2300lbs)? ie no supercars, no exotics, nothing rare.

I'll start (these are approximate):
90-97 Mazda Miata: 2100-2300lbs

why not include the '89 MX-5? I see most articles start the year from the 1990 and not 1989.

Well then since we are all using English then we should use the weight system used by most English speakers: pounds.

Oh yeah I forgot how nobody uses metric...

SI-metrication-world.png

:p

Why not use both systems and make the metric and imperial people happy at the same time?

Last edited:
Any US Spec e30 is going to be in the 2500lb range. The lightest of the mall the 318is is officially 2600lbs but everyone that owns one and weighed it barely went over 2500.

BMW 2002's (and any other "xx02"), Datsun 510's, Mazda RX2, RX3, R100, 1st gen RX7 (sa22c/FB).

Notice everything I mentioned is also proper wheel drive ;)

why not include the '89 MX-5? I see most articles start the year from the 1990 and not 1989.

Because the '89 didn't officially exist. They are all '90's, in the US at least.

Last edited:
Oh yeah I forgot how nobody uses metric...

SI-metrication-world.png

:p

Why not use both systems and make the metric and imperial people happy at the same time?

Population wise most native English speakers use pounds. :p

Oh and most in the U.K. don't use metric.