Most distracting audience member

Not girls. The British in general. I mean, that's like a running gag. Nothing I made up.
Maybe a British member here can give some more detailed inside on the teeth situation in Her Majesty's country.

It seems to pick up, if even Hammond has his teeth bleached.
Good teeth are so important. If you open your mouth, and it looks like a Halloween pumpkin... :? :lol:

There is a lot to complain about the States, but Americans are on the top of their game when it comes to dental care.

I'm an Aussie living in the UK, but I simply don't understand why there are still so many people with awful dentition here. There are long waiting lists for NHS (ie public health) dentists, I know. Although I'm entitled to register with one, the waitlists in Hampshire are so long I went private. Luckily my Dentist is very reasonable! But I see clients who obviously have enough money to sort their teeth, even privately, but haven't. There seems to be this attitude in a big portion of the British public that worrying about how your teeth look is shallow or silly or American something;)
I'm with you, the smile is one of the first things you notice about someone, surely it's worthwhile having a nice one? :dunno:

AFA RWSG and Nigelly/Kellella, yup, I'm a straight girl and even I went wow!
Distracting me also was a lady standing next to Nigelly who I went to TG Live with, she very kindly sold me a Gold ticket for cheap and was a nice person so am happy (if jealous) that she got to go to a recording!

Last edited:
Not girls. The British in general. I mean, that's like a running gag. Nothing I made up.
Maybe a British member here can give some more detailed inside on the teeth situation in Her Majesty's country.

It seems to pick up, if even Hammond has his teeth bleached.
Good teeth are so important. If you open your mouth, and it looks like a Halloween pumpkin... :? :lol:

There is a lot to complain about the States, but Americans are on the top of their game when it comes to dental care.

In England we don't go for the neon 'oh-my-god-I-can't-see' look but I wouldn't say that we're any worse than any other european country regardless of the reputation. I think maybe we are more willing to put people without perfect teeth on television so the world can see but I don't think that's reflective of the British in general. Most of my prisoners have crap teeth but then I'm sure most American prisoners do too. The bleaching thing is a joke because most 'normal' British people don't bleach their teeth, only 'Hollywood-aspiring' actors and television personalities do which is why it's funny that Hammond did/has. Of course I'm speaking generally here and there are some British people with American white teeth of course but then I'm sure there are plenty of Americans who don't have epically white gnashers too. So there endeth the lesson :lol:

Well. I did have my teeth whitened, (well I bleached them with dentist kit) because I was a bridesmaid in my best mate's wedding and didn't want my yellow gnashers ruining the pics :p

QFT. Give me a slightly wonky, off-white smile and the National Health Service every time! At least I know that I won't get a bill for treatment several months later because my health insurance provider has just found some small print that means they won't be paying the hospital after all.

In England we don't go for the neon 'oh-my-god-I-can't-see' look but I wouldn't say that we're any worse than any other european country regardless of the reputation.

Sorry, have to agree with Ozgirl on this one. I always notice it as well when I'm in the UK. But it's definitely better then when I lived there in the early ninties, so things are improving. :)

Nigelly/Kellella
:lol::lol::lol::lol: Poor ladette, if only she knew the names we're calling her!

As for the teeth, I'm totally with you on that one. Between too much (US)and not enough (UK) care, there is something in the middle, but Brits would rather spend all their cash on cars, that's more their "thing".

MamesJay, just a quick question. Please don't tell me you are @fiatpanda, the #censored# who faked being James on Twiter for ages and who has, since he came out as a fake, been using the name MamesJay as well. :cry:

If you're not: :welcome: !

:lol::lol::lol::lol: Poor ladette, if only she knew the names we're calling her!

As for the teeth, I'm totally with you on that one. Between too much (US)and not enough (UK) care, there is something in the middle, but Brits would rather spend all their cash on cars, that's more their "thing".

Well if we're on this forum, we can hardly censure them for that attitude can we? ;)

Well if we're on this forum, we can hardly censure them for that attitude can we? ;)

Absolutely not :) It was just a genuinely non-judgemental remark, something I noticed along the years. They love their cars dearly*, and that is a fact! :)

(*more than their teeth for sure! :D )

Absolutely not :) It was just a genuinely non-judgemental remark, something I noticed along the years. They love their cars dearly*, and that is a fact! :)

(*more than their teeth for sure! :D )

:lol: No, I realised your comment was affectionate, and so was mine :)

Its actually true, as someone mentioned, that in the British tv-shows that I have seen, its a lot more normal to see people with bad teeth than ie american...Except for simon cowell, he is a true miss brightsmile

From what read from all of your posts about bad dental care in the GB then I'm sure that Red White Shirt Girl (RWSG) must be from another country :p or the states maybe.
Because she sure has a sweet and pretty smile :)

MamesJay, just a quick question. Please don't tell me you are @fiatpanda, the #censored# who faked being James on Twiter for ages and who has, since he came out as a fake, been using the name MamesJay as well. :cry:

If you're not: :welcome: !

Oh no!!! I have been discovered. Now I have to move again!

No really.

Until you mentioned Twitter, I was thinking if that person might be some Internet legend, who's identity I could just snatch away.
But Twitter is too embarrassing. For me; Twitter is the short version of nothing.
Twitter is like a reason to say NO to the Internet.
Like Lewis Black (my favorite comedian) said; if you're on Twitter telling people what you are doing at this very moment, you're not doing it!

Just in case; interesting interview. Funny too.
http://fora.tv/2009/07/02/Lewis_Black_Me_Of_Little_Faith

So, no I'm not that person.
I waste a lot of time on the Internet, but even I have no interest in building fantasy personas, or crazy stalking-legends.
I have a lot of experience with forums and boards though, that makes it easy for me, to just jump in, and start talking.

---

Back to the white teeth.

Gnashers, that's funny. How about Teef? :lol:

Anyway, bleaching or whitening is not about going overboard until the teeth are like blue-white, glow in the dark. Yuk.
But clean and white..., it just looks so much better.
Who wants to kiss somebody with Halloween-Pumpkin-Teeth?
And there is a new awareness, even in Britain.
The opera guy who won Britain's Got Talent...
Right after he won the whole thing; off to the dentist.
And I'm sure it wasn't all, because of the publishers.

How can somebody (for example) spend thousands of Dollars, Pounds, or Dong (in case we have a Vietnamese member) on his car, and still look like the hunchback of Notre Dame, when he opens his mouth?

I take notice of white teeth right away (in a positive way), just like with that girl in the audience.
Any it works for guys too. You can have your sloppy days, but the teeth are saying "that all hope is not lost".
And maybe the sloppiness is not sloppy but...style. :rolleyes:

I think, as the awareness for the issue is rising in Europe, there is a business just waiting.
Cleaning and whitening teeth can become something like getting a haircut.
But they need to have shops for that, downtown and in shopping malls. It has to get away from the "mean dentist image".
And then people will pick up on it, do it, and pay for it, just like for a haircut.
BTW, the effect is so much longer lasting, than getting some fancy nail-thingy.
Whats with the nails anyway?
The only thing I think I can decipher (or interpret) are the white tips.
They seem to be a signal for something... :rolleyes: :mrgreen:

Like Lewis Black (my favorite comedian) said; if you're on Twitter telling people what you are doing at this very moment, you're not doing it!

I saw that show in Amsterdam last summer. :mrgreen:

I love Twitter though. :p

i tried to comprehend twitter, i really did but after a week of attempting to use it i just gave up on it and carried on with my life. Its not all bad, Stephen Fry often makes great posts on it but much of the time i just don't see it carrying any overall benefit to humanity.
as for teeth. while i can understand how first impressions do count. i think mostly its vanity and appearances run amok. I take care of my teeth, they may not be the greatest but i don't see what concern it is of people from overseas. It often seems that this is a stigma often laid on the british people. i could just as easily go on about the american's use of diet, the french's ability to win a war, polands immigration plan. if anything it seems to be something that comes from the pages of the Daily Mail.
There are worse things out there to have than just socially unclean teeth.

Sorry, have to agree with Ozgirl on this one. I always notice it as well when I'm in the UK. But it's definitely better then when I lived there in the early ninties, so things are improving. :)

Maybe I'm desensitized about it but I see people all the time with gorgeous teeth and although I realise the cliche comes from truth at some point I think it's not nearly as bad as people make out. It's true that British people don't care as much as the Americans do but then I do think the Americans go overboard... I'll leave that issue right there before I stray into trouble! :D

i tried to comprehend twitter, i really did but after a week of attempting to use it i just gave up on it and carried on with my life. Its not all bad, Stephen Fry often makes great posts on it but much of the time i just don't see it carrying any overall benefit to humanity*
as for teeth. while i can understand how first impressions do count. i think mostly its vanity and appearances run amok. I take care of my teeth, they may not be the greatest but i don't see what concern it is of people from overseas. It often seems that this is a stigma often laid on the british people. i could just as easily go on about the american's use of diet, the french's ability to win a war **, polands immigration plan. if anything it seems to be something that comes from the pages of the Daily Mail.
There are worse things out there to have than just socially unclean teeth.

*While it may noy have an overall benefit, I prefer it to Facebook et al. I have "met" some interesting people & even got to talk to Conor McNicholas, TG Mag editor! :)

**Actually if you watch QI you'll know that, in the battles they actually fought, the French have a very high success rate :p

Going on my own experience, I'd say that most people don't get their teeth done because of childhood experiences of NHS dentists.

I never had a bad experience with the dentist, except being jabbed in the gums three times with local anesthetic because the first time didn't work :cry:

But back to creeper time, I mean most distracting audience member. How come there's hardly any male distractions in the crowd? I think I saw more watching TG Aus but that probably says a lot ;)

Because IME the good-looking blokes aren't interested in normal things like beer and cars, they're all either dull, psychotic, or both.