New Beater/Parts Shuttle

Wheels look good and a really good price too.

Update: Pitched old axle with open differential and drum brakes, installed newer axle with recently rebuilt LSD and disc brakes with the assistance of CrazyJeeper. I'll go through and elaborate on this later.

The donor truck, a 91 Pathfinder:
IMG_4807.JPG

The axle assembly:
IMG_5275.JPG

The workspace:
IMG_5274.JPG

Old axle out:
02212010248.jpg

New axle in:
02222010249.jpg

It became cold while we were working on this, but my landlord thoughtfully provided this nice propane heater.
IMG_1670.JPG

Behold, limited slip!
IMG_5301.JPG

And behold, rear brakes that will still work even after going through deep water!
IMG_5299.JPG

Buttoning it all up...
IMG_5296.JPG

And back outside.
IMG_5303.JPG

Last edited:
Go two states south, or even just one. Lots of them in TX and OK.

Was the donor truck C4C?

Was the donor truck C4C?

Yes, as mentioned elsewhere. I got it from a breakers' yard where the staff are all illegal Mexican immigrants who couldn't care less about breaking a silly Federal law about 'no selling drivelines'.

It could just as easily have not been, there were several others in the yard, this one just had the least miles and was easiest to get to.

UNfortunately, I just found out that the axle's ratio tag and the label on the donor truck are incorrect - it may be that when they had the axle rebuilt they swapped in a different gearset, because its not compatible with my front. I'll be going back to the yard to pick up the front diff assembly from the donor truck in the hopes it matches.

Last edited:
That sucks. Can you swap the R&P from your old H233B into the new one? That is, unless the new one has a more desirable ratio.

Last edited:
I already heaved the old H233B out as it had literally double the miles of this one and wasn't in good shape. Also, IIRC the ring and pinions are different between the two years and axle types.

No, that's tonight's project along with replacing the tie rods and a suspicious ball joint. It was supposed to be a 4.6 (as every WD21 SE model is), and I checked the axle tag and the cowl tag to verify. It could be a 4.3 (XE stock) or a 4.875 NISMO set. Less likely is a 5.143/5.571/5.857 rear-only application as I pulled it from a Pathfinder 4WD.

Edit: It could also be a 3.7 or 3.9 out of a RWD-only stock truck.

Edit 2: I'm really hoping for a NISMO set. :p

Last edited:
Hopefully it's the 4.9 NISMO, that'd be a sweet JY find. I'd be hotfooting it back to the JY tomorrow to get the front if it turns out to be, haha.

Unfortunately I have to go to Houston tomorrow, but when I get back, if it's a NISMO, I'm heading down there.

Gah, it's a 4.3. Someone must have screwed up while rebuilding it and swapped in someone else's ring and pinion.

Fortunately, SE 4.6 ring and pinions that will work are not uncommon. All the hard-core Pathy offroader guys swap out for the NISMO gears and then try to unload the 4.6s. No shortage of SE and LE models with 4.6 LSD/drums in the junkyards to scavenge a ring and pinion from, either.

drums don't work when wet?? didn't know that

Drums don't work when they're full of water, which they inevitably are when you ford a stream, cross a small river, or even just wade through some serious urban flooding. They work even worse when they're full of mud, which can happen if you're crossing through muddy versions of the above. Remember, I've driven the Pathfinder through water that was close to the the tops of my tires (if not deeper, the Pathfinder floats a little.)

Anyway, my real reason for plugging up your thread. Have you ever pulled a 5,000lb trailer with your truck? I'm interested to know how they do.

Closest thing to that I've ever done with this truck was when I towed a 7000lb F-350 home 3 miles or so - very slowly and very carefully. I would suggest asking the folks on NPORA or Nissan4Wheelers about that.

Last edited:
... the Pathfinder floats a little.

3-crossing-the-channel.jpg

Sure does. :p

That sounds like a real pain in the ass, Spectre. At least you figured it out before breaking anything.

Welp, the Pathfinder's been sold - onwards and upwards... looking for a diesel Ford truck now.