New Beater/Parts Shuttle

Mmmmm dirty Pathfinder. :D On Monday I saw someone drving a red Pathfinder on an offroad course on SH360 here locally--they were taking 40? inclines with that thing! Hell, that may have been you!. :lol:

If it was that one off 360 just south of 183, yeah, that was probably me, and yes, that's where that !(&$#^&*(!@#^$(*!#$*&^!&# creek was.

If it was that one off 360 just south of 183, yeah, that was probably me, and yes, that's where that !(&$#^&*(!@#^$(*!#$*&^!&# creek was.

Wow, small world. I saw you at the same time at the same place. What are the odds? The creek was on the other side of that overpass thing out there wasn't it?

How reliable are these older Pathfinders? 93-95 models are pretty cheap around here with about 113,000 miles, I was actually looking at some last week.

Last edited:
Wow, small world. I saw you at the same time at the same place. What are the odds? The creek was on the other side of that overpass thing out there wasn't it?

The trail/fire road entrance is just before the railroad bridge that runs over 360. PART of the creek is on the other side of that bridge. What the map utterly fails to show is the feeder/branch creek that runs a bit to the NW from that.

How reliable are these older Pathfinders? 93-95 models are pretty cheap around here with about 113,000 miles, I was actually looking at some last week.

They are very reliable. They only have two problems - rust and they need a timing belt every 60-105K or the engine will eventually grenade. They tend to rust out at the rear frame where it arches over the axle, and on the rear floor. Shop carefully for one that does not have rust there.

Here's an example of a mild case of frame rot. This is from my parts truck I got a few months ago, not the red one I drive.

IMG00159.jpg

IMG00160.jpg

This can be repaired, but it must be done quickly before the rot spreads and gets worse.

Minor problems include an undercooled automatic transmission and a blower case that tends to suck in leaves. Both are easily fixed. Dealership parts are surprisingly cheap.

Other than that, the D21 truck series is pretty reliable. The WD21 is great on and off road; the pickup version just swam the English Channel in Season 10. :D
vlcsnap-15743781.png

They can be safely mentioned in the same breath as the Toyota Hilux. Best years to get are 90-95.

Last edited:
Ahhh rust.. we call that "Subaru Cancer" on a few forums.. <_<

Good to hear they're tanks, I got insurance quotes on them and it was a bit more than I was expecting but ultimately not horrible. Thanks for all the info, it was quite helpful. ;)

Back in the 1980's, Toyota would grind up rust and mix it into the paint. :glare:

TomCat: The really funny part is that while the D21 is no longer sold in the US, they're still cranking them out by the gross down in Mexico for Mexican and South American sale. Nissan doesn't seem to have any incentive to stop any time soon, either.

This does tend to lower parts costs. :D

TomCat: The really funny part is that while the D21 is no longer sold in the US, they're still cranking them out by the gross down in Mexico for Mexican and South American sale. Nissan doesn't seem to have any incentive to stop any time soon, either.

This does tend to lower parts costs. :D

Yeah, that is a plus.

Why do they always do that in Mexico? Produce old car designs. I know a friend who wanted more then anything to go to Mexico and buy a brand new Volkswagen Beetle (the old ones). It would be a cool thing to have. I'd like to get one and convert it into a Baja Bug. Now that would be fun. :cool:

they're still cranking them out by the gross down in Mexico for Mexican and South American sale.

Hmm, where can a person buy said vehicle if one person decided to make the trip to Mexico? :mrgreen:

You can buy them, you just can't bring them back across the border as a US Citizen.

They still sell them in Nissan dealers in Mexico; they call it the Nissan Camiones or some such.

So much for that, looks like 08 will be the last year for the D21, then. Looks like the 09 model will be a D22/23.

That said, that's a 21 year run for the same frigging truck with the same body panels and everything. That's longer than any of the domestics ever managed out of their lines.

No, because they changed the Taurus.

Except for minor things, the 08 Camiones is the same identical truck as the 1987 Nissan D21 Hardbody. All the body panels will interchange, all the interior parts, etc., etc.

I know, I had one. The grille wasn't the only change, though. The headlights, taillights, engine, transmission, axles, dashboard, transfer case - all those changed. All that stayed the same was the glass, sheetmetal, frame, and that was it.

That 08 Caminones is literally the same truck. The only thing that changed was when they went from TBI to MPFI and when they changed the dashboard.

The interior hasn't changed since 1994. The rest of the truck is the same from 90 (for the engines) or 87 (for the rest of the truck.)

Thanks. There's more to come - I just got some Hella Rallye 3000's for the roof, Hella 550's for bumper driving lights, and Hella 450's to replace the original fog lights (which weren't installed) that I need to put on.

And in case anyone wonders, yes, I do take it offroad occasionally; this is from last week:

IMG_0743.JPG

IMG_0744.JPG

I was driving down a trail when I encountered a creek that wasn't supposed to be there. :p

If you look closely you can almost see some dirt and mud. :p Off roading with no-so-chunky tired FTW!!

Update: Tinted the (replaced) rear hatch glass, installed the OEM fender flares and nerf bar/rocker protector, added protective film to the taillights, repainted and refurbished the rear bumper:

IMG_0890.JPG

Last edited: