another stuck oil filter....

93Flareside

Sosig
DONOR
Car(s)
See Signature
Well, it's 25?F outside and the oil needs to be changed. Draining the oil was fine, but this stupid filter will not come off. i've tried the screw driver through the filter, but that just rips the metal apart.

I tried this first of course.
6178644.JPG
but that just crunched the filter.

I tried heating a little with a portable torch, nothing.

The way this filter goes on doesn't show the seal, so I couldn't even try and run razor blade to unseat the seal.

This is on my Jimmy, which has the filter in front behind the bumper under a cat flap.:mad:

You need filter pliers and to next time not put the filter on so tight plus lubricate the o-ring of the oil filter with a hefty amount of oil.

15-Oil-Filter-Plier-LSS-_i_LBM79583Z.jpg

Grip at the base of the filter where it is strong enough not to get crushed right away and you will get them off with this. If that doesn't work you can remove that whole remote filter mount from the car put it in a vice and get the filter off that way.

I've always lubed the rubber gasket and hand tightened the filter, but because at the point of putting the filter on, my fingers are all oily, so I LIGHTLY use the wrench to tighten it a little more to be safe.

I've also been told my tightening is very weak.

I've always lubed the rubber gasket and hand tightened the filter, but because at the point of putting the filter on, my fingers are all oily, so I LIGHTLY use the wrench to tighten it a little more to be safe.

I've also been told my tightening is very weak.

Get the filters with the grippy coating either from fram or purolator.

I ran a service shop where some 40% of our revenue was from oil changes form 1997 to 2005 and I almost never used a band wrench to tighten an oil filter.

The only times I would use a band wrench to tighten a filter is on big diesel trucks. The vibration from the diesel could loosen the filter over their longer drain intervals and the filters are so huge that getting a hand or even two hands on them is difficult.

The only other times I would use it is on cars that I knew had a past history of leaking oil filters or if the customer asked me to. Even then I wouldn't put them on too tight just a quarter turn or so with the wrench.

Hand tight with a rag around your hand is going to be plenty tight 99% of the time for your typical passenger car.

Eh, my brother came by and got it off with a wrench like what British Rover has.

Other good news is, he forgot it.:p

YOu may need to clean the gasket surface. Sometimes a bit of the old gasket will stick around and make your life a PITA. Also, how long ago was your last oil change(Time and miles)?

YOu may need to clean the gasket surface. Sometimes a bit of the old gasket will stick around and make your life a PITA. Also, how long ago was your last oil change(Time and miles)?

It's been about 2300 miles and about 2 months and 7 days since the last time I changed the oil.

You can get this type of filter wrench too, supposed to be pretty good.

ShowImage.aspx

Sometimes it's nice to have a canister type oil filter though. :D

Last edited:
^ I have one of those, along with a couple sizes of strap wrenches and some filter pliers. Haven't had any issues with oil filters since.