E63 AMG vs E200 CDI Long-Distance race

D

D-Fence

Who doesn?t like a proper wacky duel? Like the one where James May raced a Ferrari against a camel, or when the guys from TopGear did a ?train vs Aston Martin? from London to Cannes?

As in the case of the proverbial hare and tortoise, when you set two unlikely opponents against each other, you get some entertaining results ? and you might even prove a point. That?s what Germany?s AutoBild (print edition, March 5) tried to do when it tested the assumption that power = speed.

They raced the slowest E-class Mercedes station wagon against the fastest one, on German public roads, over a distance of 1,000 KMs. It was E63 AMG vs E200 CDI; 525 HP against 136 HP; 6.2L vs 2.1L displacement, V8 against Diesel-L4. 0-60 in 4.6 s vs 10.9 s. And not to forget, purchase prices of ?42,483 against ?108,409. So, what happened? Not what you might think?

But first, some more data and some rules. The AMG had its standard 250 km/h speed limiter left in place, and both cars had optional 80-liter fuel tanks fitted. Drivers had to stick to speed limits ? this wasn?t supposed to turn into a Kanonenkugel-Run. The route was from Flensburg in the northern tip of Germany, down to the Austrian border. This is a relatively rural Autobahn that had plenty of unrestricted stretches and goes through only one major conurbation, in Hamburg.

The driver of the AMG wrote about an uncomfortably hard ride, and more to the point, reported that the super-station wagon fostered a stressful style of driving. You push it, as he wrote, up to the limit, then hit the brakes as soon as somebody who underestimates your speed moves into the left lane, then you push it again. In heavier traffic, the ratio of power-to-freedom was perceived as particularly irksome. The major concern, however, was the constant need to re-fuel. With a fuel consumption of 13.7 MPG, the AMG had to stop for gas after only 422 KM, seriously slowing down its average to 124 km/h.

Meanwhile, the Diesel enabled a flowing, relaxed driving style with a softer ride, lower noise, but yet enough power ? the E200 CDI apparently felt quite comfortable in the 160-200 km/h zone. And the Diesel?s average of 28.7 MPG meant that re-fuelling could wait for a few hours, until after the 750 KM mark, at which point it had averaged a speed of 125 km/h.

So, despite all the long stretches where the AMG seldom had to slow down to speeds below 200 km/h, one of the world?s fastest station wagons reached the chequered flag in exactly 13 minutes before the oil-burner. Thirteen minutes gain, ?184 additional fuel costs: is that what power amounts to?

As surprising as the results may seem, they match my experience in Europe. If you absolutely push it while driving in the dead of night, you can sightly better an average of 130 km/h, but your licence will be at risk. Take it slow, drive safe, and your average sinks to 110-120.

Note to AMG: on modern congested roads, power equals nothing more than frustration. If you really want people to associate pimptastic with fast, you need to equip your cars with 300L tanks ? and preferably a built-in urinal.

Images: http://www.autobild.de/artikel/mercedes-e-63-amg-t-gegen-e-200-cdi-t_1136342.html

Note from me: The Author of this is not really right, I did some high-speed runs in Germany, if you REALLY push it at night there is a high chance you average out at ~170-180km/h. My record is averaging 193km/h over ~240km (for the Germans: Frankfurt - Essen) in our A6. And I still got frequently pushed from the left lane by even faster cars. In the daytime, you are really stuck at ~130km/h average.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good test, I always wondered about this thing - what is the real time difference between a really fast car that you need to refuel quite often and a regular/slow car, which still manages a pretty decent motorway speed but a better fuel economy.

But I have to agree with the author on one thing - it can get quite frustrating, when you try to maintain speeds of +200kmh and people get into your lane, but that's mostly "only in Germany" thing :).

I?m surprised the AMG won at all, having to stop 2 times for fuel ... and he was pretty lucky to be slowed down that much, or he might have had to stop for fuel a third time ...

What I don?t get are the numbers ... who on earth did the math when the Diesel did 1km/h on average more than the AMG and one less fuelstop on a 7+ hour trip ... and loses by 13 minutes? Did the Diesel take a 70km longer route or get lost or what? :blink:

Last edited:
My record is averaging 193km/h over ~240km (for the Germans: Frankfurt - Essen) in our A6.
That's really quick... A45 or via Cologne?

My record is an average of 149 kph over 358 km (door to door, meaning including some city driving at both ends). Mind you, the max speed of the car was rated at 174 kph and I did not risk my license.
But yeah, during daytime that would be kinda hard to achieve.

Cologne, back in the days when the A3 was unrestricted ;).
Highlights on that run were being overtaken at Frankfurt Airport by a GT2 with yellow glowing exhaust and witnessing the most awesome thing I have ever seen on the Autobahn: I was doing ~230km/h downhills when suddenly a car flashed at me. I went to the middle lane after passing someone and heard a loud V8 thumping. Slowly, an A6 pushed past me and I was like: wtf that does not have this sound. ~3m behind the A6 was a CLK 63 Amg Black. When the Audi moved over, that thing shifted DOWN and accelerated. I have never seen something go like that thing. It easily went to estimated 300km/h and we still heard the V8 thunder for ~20s even after the car was not in sight any more. And we were doing 230km/h. Awesome-o!

Cologne, back in the days when the A3 was unrestricted ;).
Highlights on that run were being overtaken at Frankfurt Airport by a GT2 with yellow glowing exhaust and witnessing the most awesome thing I have ever seen on the Autobahn: I was doing ~230km/h downhills when suddenly a car flashed at me. I went to the middle lane after passing someone and heard a loud V8 thumping. Slowly, an A6 pushed past me and I was like: wtf that does not have this sound. ~3m behind the A6 was a CLK 63 Amg Black. When the Audi moved over, that thing shifted DOWN and accelerated. I have never seen something go like that thing. It easily went to estimated 300km/h and we still heard the V8 thunder for ~20s even after the car was not in sight any more. And we were doing 230km/h. Awesome-o!

Awesome indeed :mrgreen:, when I was driving home from the Frankfurt autoshow last year in an Audi A5, I was flashed while doing 220kmh, I moved to the side to be overtaken by an M6, I slammed the throttle and the M6 was only slowly getting away until 265kmh, when the A5 ran out of steam and M6 kept accelerating. I felt like I was in a videogame :lol:.

And this is why you don't vote green party. They want to take that away from us :(

130kmh? In the dead of night? LICENSE AT RISK? BAHAHAHAHAAHA. AMERICA HAS MUCH LULZ FOR THIS AUTHOR. EVEN OUR ELDERLY TOYOTA DRIVERS MANAGE TO AVERAGE THAT.

Averaging 130kmh? Damn i gotta get my ass over to Europe. Not only is there more to see there, but apparently you can get around to see it all pretty quickly.

130kmh? In the dead of night? LICENSE AT RISK? BAHAHAHAHAAHA. AMERICA HAS MUCH LULZ FOR THIS AUTHOR. EVEN OUR ELDERLY TOYOTA DRIVERS MANAGE TO AVERAGE THAT.
This can only end well! :yes:

As a friend of mine put it:

At night, I can see ~100m max. From 120km/h, I have a stopping way of ~110m (reaction & braking). So I still crash. No reason not to go flatout.

Hell, I managed that in my damn Pathfinder on my recent run to Houston. And I was getting passed by people.

This can only end well! :yes:

Hell, I managed that in my damn Pathfinder on my recent run to Houston. And I was getting passed by people.

Aren't Europeans so cute sometimes? It's as if they forget that their countries are the same size as our states. France is HUGE, and yet at a mere 600 miles end to end fits entirely between Amarillo and Corpus Christi - which is a route that takes you from nowhere of importance to nowhere of importance THROUGH nowhere of importance. That's how much dead space there is in this country.

What is really gay is that these guys were averaging 125km/h with traffic and fuel stops over a 1000km distance, thats over 115km/h higher then our highest speed limit. :(

I fail to see a point of having a car in your island then. Biking or walking would be just as fast.

What is really gay is that these guys were averaging 125km/h with traffic and fuel stops over a 1000km distance, thats over 115km/h higher then our highest speed limit. :(

Your speed limits are 10km/h?

Your speed limits are 10km/h?

If this is true... Please get out and walk. With a bit of training you'll be able to run faster than that. Your car is suffering pointlessly and should be exported to some place that cares about it immediately.

Last edited:
Aren't Europeans so cute sometimes? It's as if they forget that their countries are the same size as our states. France is HUGE, and yet at a mere 600 miles end to end fits entirely between Amarillo and Corpus Christi - which is a route that takes you from nowhere of importance to nowhere of importance THROUGH nowhere of importance. That's how much dead space there is in this country.
I'm not sure if I'm following you. You commented the ridicule of averaging 130 km/h in a "license-at-risk" night run, and now I am the one who forgot that the population density plays a major role in achieving that? If you are aware that this can be done much easier in "nothing to see here!" America than in "Get ze fack off my fut!" Germany, why did you post the "130 km/h??? LULZ!!! AMERICUH FUCK YEAHHH!!!!" comment in the first place?