What to buy: Euro diesel edition

What to buy: Euro diesel edition

• Total voters
i don't dislike the avensis, it can stand next to an insignia without shame if you ask me...

If I was on your situatuon, I would buy the Renault, but only because I don't like to go mainstream. :p
I wouldn't find realibility that much of an issue myself, because when buying 5 year old used car, it's just about luck anyway whether you'll get an troublefree car or not. Though some Renaults from Vel Satis era have had more problems than their competitors.

Last edited:
superb or the BMW. Superb will likely be cheaper to run both in fuel, insurance and maintenance. look after it and itll go for ever. mines done 130,000 miles now.

avoid the 2.5V6 in the Audi/Superb/Passat.

FORD-Scorpio-Turnier---1997-1998-.jpg

Note please: The 2.5l Turbo Diesel in that is a 4 Cylinder lifted straight from the Transit. (uuuhmm... that makes a nice sound and is smooth like silk :lol:)

Look at one of these:
Alfa_Romeo-166.jpg

You know you want to. The 2.4 JTD 5cyl. is very good with power ranging from 136 to 185 hp and a 6mt. It drives beautifully. Only watch out that there is no play in the suspension, otherwise really reliable car, despite being an alfa. Give it a try or a testdrive

Look at one of these:
Alfa_Romeo-166.jpg

You know you want to. The 2.4 JTD 5cyl. is very good with power ranging from 136 to 185 hp and a 6mt. It drives beautifully. Only watch out that there is no play in the suspension, otherwise really reliable car, despite being an alfa. Give it a try or a testdrive

I have considered them, and may give them a go. But first I'm going to testdrive a nice 525dA saturday.

Whats actally wrong with the Merc E300 TD (CDI) to be not mentioned here once? :hmm:

MERCEDES-BENZ-E-300-T-TD-Classic--1997-1999-.jpg

^- These days, i like Old TG much more than the new one. What a brilliant road test. Still, does not solve the reliability issues this car had.

Hmm, I thought diesel was reserved for vehicles labeled "John Deere".
I guess you dont want any fun from driving your car? :p

I guess the superb would be my choice, but I would try to testdrive all of these with your boosterseat in place. Imagine a 10h roadtrip with all your kids on board.
Personally I have seen one or two Omegas with a really nice chromejob, might be sedans though and in silver, so really bland.
The 5er is quite hard to look at, but like most BMW's it will grow on you (at least that's my experience).
Otherwise the E Merc is quite ugly but there are lots of them, so spares will be available, even if you cannibalize old german taxis.

I found nineteen D5 V70's <?7000 on Autoscout. Then there's the 2.4D which is exactly the same sans some engine mapping. Now you have no reason not to buy one for your kids! :yes:
The only excuse I will accept is the odometerage. If so, buy a Vel Satis, because it's the car of the president of the republic after all! Ride in style!

Last edited:
What about the good old Volvo 740 stinker? :lol:
post-a218559-

My neighbours used to have an silver diesel 4-cyl saloon, and god was that a joke! :lol:

Starting with the funny starting, which took half a minute cranking, then the engine burbled into its loud rattly life, and would you see the cloud coming out of it! :lol:

The son of them had to take so much tease from us. :lol: "Hey Daniel, is your father allready up to the field with his tractor?" :lol:

EDIT:
Sorry, I got the wrong car, it was actually a 240 Diesel, stupid Volvo range, they all look the same :lol:
1990-93-Volvo-240-90904051000101.jpg

Last edited:
I found nineteen D5 V70's <?7000 on Autoscout. Then there's the 2.4D which is exactly the same sans some engine mapping. Now you have no reason not to buy one for your kids! :yes:

In what country and with how many kms on them?

And sadly, a few unforseen expenses have thrown a spanner in the works, so I'm going to have to postpone this for at least a few months :cry:

In Germany. Holland, Belgium, Luxembourg Germany, same place :p
Yes the kilometerage was >16kkm but hey, that's just run in for a diesel ;)

I found one in a place called Obert?rkheim which I thought was hilarious.