Spoilers: BMW going FWD in the future

So either all these future FWD BMW's will be mini based or they will spend a shit load of money designing an all new FWD platform to accompany them.

FWD is usually cheaper to build but BMW has so much experience with RWD this seems like a waste of effort. It's not like they're ever gonna offer a cheap car anyway (-20k) so I don't know why they bother.

But then again, by the time this happens they'll all be 3cyl diesel's anyway.

Isn't that what Mini is for?

The problem is that there's a certain expectation of what a Mini needs to look like, so it is quiet restrictive from that point of view.

Emotionally, I don't approve of this move by BMW. Logically, it makes business sense.

https://pic.armedcats.net/k/kn/knarkas/2010/03/19/441srsly-u-guys.jpg

Alright guys question time, excluding BMW, how many companies makes small RWD cars? Do I see any hands? No, that's right, because there aren't any. Moving to FWD, especially in the A-C-segment hardly a bomb, the entire industry have nearly completely moved over to FWD because it is the logical thing to do. Only a few stragglers remain, but they too will adapt.

Smart move by BMW, the 1-series hardly made any sense anyways. It's barely smaller/lighter than a 3-series, while being much more cramped.

In a small compact hatchback, rwd is kind of useless anyway. All it does is to take up valuable interior space, which in my mind matters more in such a car than the "rwd-feel". If you want something more driver oriented, with the "rwd-feel", why not just get a proper sports car in stead? Something like the 1-series will just be a compromise anyways.

That said, many others have proven that you can make fwd cars that are excellent to drive; Pick up a copy of EVO magazine and have a look. The new Ford Fiesta and the Focus for instance, they're great drivers cars. The Renault Sport Clio and Megane are both excellent as well.

Alright guys question time, excluding BMW, how many companies makes small RWD cars? Do I see any hands? No, that's right, because there aren't any. Moving to FWD, especially in the A-C-segment hardly a bomb, the entire industry have nearly completely moved over to FWD because it is the logical thing to do. Only a few stragglers remain, but they too will adapt.

so your argument is? everybody else has already given up on trying to make a proper compact car so so should BMW?

The problem is that there's a certain expectation of what a Mini needs to look like, so it is quiet restrictive from that point of view.

Emotionally, I don't approve of this move by BMW. Logically, it makes business sense.

Yeah, but there's also a certain expectation of what a BMW should drive like. Mini is a good brand for bringing out the best of FWD, and it pretty much exclusively trades in the small cars BMW wants to use FWD for.

BMW + Frontweeldrive?

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

And when do they replace their Straight 6 with a V6? :lol:

Last edited:

Smart_car.jpg

Nano.jpg

Isetta300_cuba.jpg

Mitsubishi_i_1.jpg

Last edited:
so your argument is? everybody else has already given up on trying to make a proper compact car so so should BMW?
Yep. Tightening competition in the small car segments where everyone is trying to move up in premium feel while going down in size together with increasingly stringent emission standards will make it necessary for BMW to adapt if they want to compete. FR-layouts are inherently unsuitable for compact segments where roominess and cost are valued more highly than freude am fahren.

Smartnanoisettai
Rear engined
Rear engined
Rear engined
Mid engined

Also commonly refered to as "not being cars" by many Finalgear forumistas :p

I consider Kei cars to be cars. You said RWD not FR as well.

Why are we even talking about the ForTwo? Does anyone here think that the Smart Fortwo has more sporting potential than a Mini Cooper?

The point is there is no inherent reason why a car of these sizes must be FWD.

Isn't it ironic.

Toyota unveils FT-86, a RWD, manual gearbox'd affordable car.

Honda unveils CRZ.

BMW, so we're going to go away from our roots and core values and make you some rubbish. :bmwpoo:

My only hope is that, as Momentum said, that's so they can meet environmental legislation to keep churning out M3s, M5s, etc.

Last edited:
What they are saying is that they will make a "BMW A1" and the 1-series will likely get FWD in the next generation. What's to moan about?

Marty your not thinking 4th dimensionally

Greater fuel efficiency standards across brand means that you need to make fuel efficiency a priority. Hybrid cars can't cut it, too expensive to build. Where you can make a difference is small super efficient and spread the MPG across the brand.

You stand up and say that you dropped your average MPG by X% you get the environmentalist off your back when you drop a V8 into another car.

And her boys and girls is the reason I hate all this eco babble. Fuel efficiency doesn't mean jack shit. If I drive a Prius like I stole it all the time I am gonna get less mileage than someone driving a Civic economically. All it's doing is fucking ruining cars.

BMW has diesel cars in EU that allows them to meet those MPG standards and in the US no one is gonna buy a subcompact BMW because no one if the fucking states buys subcompacts. Well at the very least a very small amount.
Honda unveils CRZ.
AFAIK CRZ is an FWD...

Last edited:
And her boys and girls is the reason I hate all this eco babble. Fuel efficiency doesn't mean jack shit. If I drive a Prius like I stole it all the time I am gonna get less mileage than someone driving a Civic economically. All it's doing is fucking ruining cars.

BMW has diesel cars in EU that allows them to meet those MPG standards and in the US no one is gonna buy a subcompact BMW because no one if the fucking states buys subcompacts. Well at the very least a very small amount.

AFAIK CRZ is an FWD...

No my friends thats CAFE: Corporate Average Fuel Efficiency

9 times out of 10 the answer is money the rest of the time its politics

CAFE feeds off of the eco babble. If we had no "inconvenient truth" and an "oil shortage" there would be no CAFE.

I haven't read the whole thread, all I saw was "BWM going FWD" and it just seems to be proving what my brother has already said once before...

"The Japanese are copying the Germans, and BMW is now trying to copy the Japanese copying the Germans."