Random Thoughts....

Anyone around here from OHIO? sorta kinda planning a US trip next summer and for reason I'm not realy sure of myself Ohio will be included , forgive my ignorance but isent Ohio supposed to be flat with nothing realy to do? anyone got some sudgestions?

Avoid Ohio. They just had their state Supreme Court rule that 'because it looked like you were breaking the law' is valid grounds for a conviction.

Ohio is also (in)famous for their plethora of speed traps, their sudden speed limit 'fluctuations' on otherwise unobstructed highways, speeding tickets issued by aircraft (yes, they mail them to your house), having a couple of unmarked cars tailgate you and force you to break the speed limit then ticket you and other such fun and draconian tactics.

Smart motorists would be well advised to avoid the place, especially now that they're desperate for revenue and ratcheting up the speed traps. See, their rivers used to periodically burst into flame. Their solution to this was to run all the business out of the state, and now they have no choice but to soak the travellers and tourists for all they can get.

Last edited:
So what parts of America should I avoid when traveling there?

What are your priorities? Are you going to be making a driving tour, or just checking out some cities?

For example, honesty compels me to admit that some people would have you avoid Texas, especially in our summer, and they do have somewhat of a point... but others of your countrymen have come here and seemed to like it quite a bit.

The only states I would say to avoid outright on a driving tour, ignoring my political opinion and purely going on gestapo-tactics perpetrated on motorists and frustration level would be Ohio, Florida, Illinois, Virginia, Minnesota, Michigan and New York. I would also avoid Kansas, but that's mostly because there's nothing there but 'flat' and it is best skipped.

Last edited:
Well, I'd definitely want to visit all the aviation-related places as I'm a massive plane nerd.

But a driving tour would be awesome. Not too sure how much that'd cost though...

They do offer tours of the Lockheed Martin plant over in Fort Worth where they make a bunch of aircraft. :D

Do they also offer jobs over at Lockheed Martin? :p

Sigh, I wish I could work for their aerospace department.

Anyone around here from OHIO? sorta kinda planning a US trip next summer and for reason I'm not realy sure of myself Ohio will be included , forgive my ignorance but isent Ohio supposed to be flat with nothing realy to do? anyone got some sudgestions?

Oh...hai(O)! I'm from the Dayton area and while I was there I never thought there was much around but thinking back I guess there is a fair amount to do. The National Museum of the United States Air Force is a must see. The sheer size of the place and number of planes they have on display is staggering. Also in Dayton is America's Packard Museum. Definitely worth a trip as well. Carillon Park is also a nice visit with an original Wright Brothers plane and some cars and trains on display. I hear the Dayton Art Institute is very nice if you're into that sort of thing.

To the east is Columbus which I also spent some time in. COSI is a load of fun and makes anyone feel like a kid again. The highwire unicycle ride is loads of fun. There's also a very nice zoo. South of Dayton is Cincinnati which is right across the river from the Newport Aquarium. That place is awesome. There's also the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland but I've never been to that part of the state.

EDIT: I forgot about King's Island near Cincinnati. They have a nice collection of rides including the world's longest wooden roller coaster. A nice water park as well.

Last edited:
I've just found out that my future employer expects me to pay for my professional qualification now, and then they will reimburse me when I start work in September. That would be fine apart from I don't have a spare ?1000 or whatever it will cost. The stupid website isn't working either so I can't even find out the exact cost or register.

Banks used to be amenable to lending the money up front for this sort of thing (for a fee and interest) especially if you have a good track record on your credit score. You can try there I suppose but there again they may have changed their outlook - you will need a cast iron gurantee from your future employer that THEY WILL re-imburse you when you turn up of course.

Good luck any how.

Speaking of jobs, I just got an e-mail from Target (where I applied and had an interview last week) saying "Thank you for taking the time to apply with us. We are unable to offer you a position at this time, but we do appreciate your interest in Target." It isn't even signed by anyone important, it just says "Target Bellingham". DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY TIMES I HAVE GOTTEN THIS EMAIL BEFORE!?! WHY THE HELL DID THEY TAKE THE TIME TO INTERVIEW ME IF THE BEST THEY COULD DO ON TURNING ME DOWN IS THAT BULLSHIT INSTEAD OF CALLING ME TO LET ME KNOW!?!? /anger/frustration

Great, this means Sarah's gotten another fucking job at the same place I wanted to apply to but couldn't because I can't get out to Birch Bay to fucking turn in the application because I'm BROKE. AND I WAS THE ONE WHO TOLD HER ABOUT IT, TOO. Why does everywhere that's actually hiring around here have to suck balls?

That's it, I'm keeping my mouth shut next time I hear someone's hiring until I have applied myself and either gotten an interview or gotten turned down. motherfuckingcocksuckingduckfuckingcatkickingdogpukingcowpoopingfuckingbullshit....

Continuation from here in a more appropriate sub-forum, since it does not involve vehicles.

So, Friday my mom got excellent news from MD Anderson - she's not going to be down recovering from surgery two months, or feeling like hammered crap due to chemo for months beyond that.

Here's the story: Mom's doctors in California found the new small tumor and immediately recommended excision of the affected part of the liver, plus far more extensive chemotherapy. Her objections to this were that the chemo hasn't been working; their response was that there were 'new drugs' out there that might make the chemo more effective, but they had even worse side effects.

So she came back to MD Anderson for a second opinion and she is quite happy she did. (Remember, these are the folks who on the last big nasty tumor did what her local doctors could or would not for various reasons, including the idiocy of the California Medical Board; they gave her specially targetted radiation and drug therapy that not only was completely effective at killing that tumor but didn't wipe her out/leave her exhausted.) The staff's reaction was apparently rather shocked at the suggestions her other team had made and recommended that they drop the chemo as it had been completely ineffective anyway; the 'new drugs' were ones they'd been using for years, were very familiar with, and they wouldn't do anything either in their opinion. For the main course of treatment, instead of risky major surgery that would cause a lot of collateral damage to her liver as well as carry complications and require months of recovery, they said that she was a good candidate for radiofrequency ablation, which has about a 48 hour recovery time, causes much less damage and carries far fewer risks.

She's coming back to Houston for a followup/pre-surgery battery of imaging in the next week or so to fully confirm the diagnosis/identification and if all goes well, she'll have the RFA procedure the week or so after that. Everyone is quite happy; and I'll be heading down to Houston on a regular basis to keep her company and help her out over the next few weeks.

Last edited:
That's absolutely excellent news!

What are your priorities? Are you going to be making a driving tour, or just checking out some cities?

For example, honesty compels me to admit that some people would have you avoid Texas, especially in our summer, and they do have somewhat of a point... but others of your countrymen have come here and seemed to like it quite a bit.

The only states I would say to avoid outright on a driving tour, ignoring my political opinion and purely going on gestapo-tactics perpetrated on motorists and frustration level would be Ohio, Florida, Illinois, Virginia, Minnesota, Michigan and New York. I would also avoid Kansas, but that's mostly because there's nothing there but 'flat' and it is best skipped.

*shakes fist* I'm from Kansas!

Actually, Southern Illinois is flatter than western Kansas, but both suck a big dick.

Aah, shit. Exam results :(.

I'm too scared to look.

Employment Relations - A2
Business Statistics - B2
Entrepreneurship... - B1 (HOW?!!)
Branding - B3
Consumption... - A2

Yay!! :D

Reactions: TC
Excellent news, Spectre!

So I am browsing this chicks facebook, who graduated year 10 with me, and I have absolutely no memory of her what so ever. Even looking at her school pictures brings back nothing, and it has only been 2 years.

If she's anorexic, you might have overlooked her ;)

Whatever you do, stay away from Oklahoma. I have heard too many horror stories from my friend who grew up there...and her family still lives there. STAY. CLEAR.

I grew up in Oklahoma, there's nothing wrong with the state. Sure it's full of rednecks, but what state isn't?