Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

Has anyone else noticed a slowdown in the rate that certain tech stuff drops in price? Flash cards haven't budged since early 2009 (not the 16/32 GB ones, anyway), and I paid less for my 5850 when I bought it nine months ago than what it costs today...

I've noticed it too, RAM was dirt cheap a few years ago, but now it's one of those "Do I really need to upgrade to 4 GB of RAM or can I be happy with the 2 GB I already have?" decisions.

Very, very much so. Just look at the i7-920 processor. When it was released a few years ago, it was roughly $300. It's still roughly $280.

The fuck? Seriously?

Very, very much so. Just look at the i7-920 processor. When it was released a few years ago, it was roughly $300. It's still roughly $280.

The fuck? Seriously?

It costs exactly same that it did when I bought it in October. ~260 euros. :D

3GB DDR3 is gone up from 70 euros to 101? :eek:

Last edited:
^^ That may be because AMD, until recently, had nothing to compete with. The i7 trounced the Phenom when it was released, and still tops the Phenom II. It was only when the X6 line came out that AMD could come close to Intel.

Then again, Intel may be knocking the price of the 950 down to 920/930 levels...

Related news, that same link shows the price of i7 970 as $885...

*meme-that-shall-not-be-named*

It's not only CPUs. I think all my main pc parts cost the same now than when I bought it about 7-8 months ago. Phenom II X4 955 costs pretty much the same, 4GBs of DDR3 are maybe slightly more expensive and my Radeon 5850 costs something like 30+ ? more.

For some reason the whole market has slowed down. It has been going on for a while too. Before this computer I had a Core 2 Duo and a 8800GTS. I didn't upgrade because it ran out of steam, games and stuff were running fine, I upgraded because it broke down. Before that it was good if your computer didn't turn in to a slouch in six months, staying adequate and fast for 2,5 years was unheard of.

Last edited:
I'm thinking about getting an SSD as a boot drive for my current rig..I'm leaning toward the 40GB Intel SSD once I get paid this Friday :)

Cabling a pc neatly is a pain in the ass. I definatly see the benifits of a modular psu.

oh yes, SO much...
damn it was a pain hiding away all the excess cables and shit -.- i was so annoyed when putting my PC together that 5 years ago when i bought my PSU i didn't want to pay the extra 5 or 10 bucks for the modular version...

It's not only CPUs. I think all my main pc parts cost the same now than when I bought it about 7-8 months ago. Phenom II X4 955 costs pretty much the same, 4GBs of DDR3 are maybe slightly more expensive and my Radeon 5850 costs something like 30+ ? more.

For some reason the whole market has slowed down. It has been going on for a while too. Before this computer I had a Core 2 Duo and a 8800GTS. I didn't upgrade because it ran out of steam, games and stuff were running fine, I upgraded because it broke down. Before that it was good if your computer didn't turn in to a slouch in six months, staying adequate and fast for 2,5 years was unheard of.

My PC is 4 years old in September... Not seeing any reason to upgrade soon, maybe some new gfx sometime in the near future though, especially if they release cards that support 3 monitors without needing DP.

My destktop is now nearing 2 and a half years old, and I can still play all of the newest games on max settings, bar a few which are extremely CPU-heavy. Obviously I have upgraded recently (2nd 4890 = win), but even with just one I can run any game I want on high settings, maybe not max, and usually with AA/AF turned down, but still very high. For a graphics card that is nearing 2 years old, it's quite sad that game development as well as hardware progression seems to have stalled.

My specs: (behold the gloriousness that is 2006!) Core 2 Duo E6600, Asus P5B Deluxe (P965), 4GB Kingston HyperX DDR2-800 CL5 (brand new due to old memory dying), XFX GeForce 7950GT xXx, XFX GeForce 7600GT xXx, 500GB Samsung SpinPoint.

Cabling a pc neatly is a pain in the ass. I definatly see the benifits of a modular psu.

Pfff...no kidding! Managing all the cables in the tower can turn into a pretty big mess. I remember when I was building a PC in 2001 using the old narrow IDE cables, connecting 2 HDD's, 1 FDD, 1 DVD-ROM, 1 CD-RW...it was a real nightmare. On top of everything, even though I had the mighty GeForce 2 GTS, I tried to install my good old 3dfx Voodoo 2 so I can have Glide...The Voodoo thing didn't work unfortunately, because there weren't any good win xp drivers for it.

I was considering buying a new desktop recently, just for the excitement of putting it all together...but then I decided I should get a new laptop instead.

Last edited:
Solution: buy a case without a window, so no one can see your crappy wiring :p

My PC was custom but pre-built so the cable management is actually quite good, even though I've made some additions. Left to my own devices, it would be pretty terrible.

Solution: buy a case without a window, so no one can see your crappy wiring :p

Yeah, but then you can't show off your cool fans, heatsinks and neon lights :)

Got curious after speedtesting my Droid and did my regular internet:

871499692.png

When it comes to cable management there's one mantra. One can never use enough zip ties.

You can IMO. The way my dad had this wired up when he put it together for me a couple years ago, he had cable tied all the fan cables with the rest of cables, so removing a case fan for cleaning meant cutting many zip ties which threw a lot of it into a mess. I have wired up such now that I can unplug the molex connector and straight away take the fan out, and it's just as neat/neater than before.

Hmm...my DSL is finally stable and consistent. However, my wireless network is not. For some reason my new router (Cisco/Linksys WRT54G) does something every once in a while. All of a sudden my laptop would lose the wireless signal for 5 seconds, then would try to reconnect and stay at "Acquiring network address" for 5 minutes. It simply can't get the internal network IP. After that, I repair the connection and it's fine.

Any ideas? Does it sound like a hw or sw problem? Next week I'm switching to Win7 so we'll see if anything changes.

Hmm...my DSL is finally stable and consistent. However, my wireless network is not. For some reason my new router (Cisco/Linksys WRT54G) does something every once in a while. All of a sudden my laptop would lose the wireless signal for 5 seconds, then would try to reconnect and stay at "Acquiring network address" for 5 minutes. It simply can't get the internal network IP. After that, I repair the connection and it's fine.

Any ideas? Does it sound like a hw or sw problem? Next week I'm switching to Win7 so we'll see if anything changes.

You could choose a static ip adress on your laptop (just make sure it's in the range of reserved adress not used for DHCP by your router), that might fix part of the problem.

Do you have a "Keep alive" or something like that in the settings? You should check it.

Also, does anybody have an idea for a good SCART cable for connecting a DVD player stacked over a STB? Ebay UK should do
edit: Found this. Looks good

Last edited: