Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

From another thread
In my experience, most Corvette enthusiasts are wankers.[...]

for general discussion:
Aren?t all enthusiasts of any specific car wankers?

Last edited:
Aren?t all enthusiasts of any specific car wankers?

It's not just cars, if you devote your life to any kind of specific product you're a tool. That's why I hate any kind of fanboy, even if they are fanboys of a company I might like.

My god everyone I went to school with is suck at cars. It's official.

Everyone's all buying their fancy I-just-graduated-therefore-I-am-now-WEALTHY (despite all of them still working in grocery stores and warehouses thanks to the utterly stagnant local economy) cars. These are the selections of the ones that watch Top Gear:

2010 Audi A4
2010 Chevy Malibu (UH!?)
2010 Impreza 2.5i Premium
2010 Infiniti G37 ("ITS A SKYLINE YO")
And perhaps most tellingly, one of them is somehow dropping $35k on a (2011) Camry Hybrid... With the whole TRD package (consisting of, and I quote: "Air filter, lowering springs, oil cap, oil filter, radiator cap, dual exhaust")

There is one bright spot, however - who is holding onto his wretched, ruined, multiple-accident-history, purple ragtop '97 Sebring convertible because "Are you kidding me? Buying a new car is dumb. I mean, my car is dumb too. Worst purchase I ever made. Not that it matters - I love it despite its innumerable failings. Shit, it's raining, I'd better go put the tarp up". There's some promise there.

My god everyone I went to school with is suck at cars. It's official.

Everyone's all buying their fancy I-just-graduated-therefore-I-am-now-WEALTHY (despite all of them still working in grocery stores and warehouses thanks to the utterly stagnant local economy) cars. These are the selections of the ones that watch Top Gear:

2010 Audi A4
2010 Chevy Malibu (UH!?)
2010 Impreza 2.5i Premium
2010 Infiniti G37 ("ITS A SKYLINE YO")
And perhaps most tellingly, one of them is somehow dropping $35k on a (2011) Camry Hybrid... With the whole TRD package (consisting of, and I quote: "Air filter, lowering springs, oil cap, oil filter, radiator cap, dual exhaust")

There is one bright spot, however - who is holding onto his wretched, ruined, multiple-accident-history, purple ragtop '97 Sebring convertible because "Are you kidding me? Buying a new car is dumb. I mean, my car is dumb too. Worst purchase I ever made. Not that it matters - I love it despite its innumerable failings. Shit, it's raining, I'd better go put the tarp up". There's some promise there.

$35,000 on a Camry Hybrid? That is one hell of a God damn rip-off.

Yup, I got hired at the same time as a co-worker, and we both bought cars at the same time because both of ours were pretty crappy. He got himself into a 7-year loan because he still owed tons of money on his current car which was falling apart and going to take years more to pay off. Massive facepalm. What kind of condition is a 2005 Inifniti G35 going to be in in 7 years?

I just clicked through the configurator. It's possible... If you get like EVERY option.

And have no brain. I imagine that this person got the scented airbag deployment powder, rust proofing on the interior and bought the salesman some Dockers.

Last edited:
It's a Toyota, everything will rust despite what the laws of physics say.

Everyone's all buying their fancy I-just-graduated-therefore-I-am-now-WEALTHY (despite all of them still working in grocery stores and warehouses thanks to the utterly stagnant local economy) cars.

Not going to lie, i'm probably going to do something stupid like that myself. Except it would be with something like the current 335is in about 4 years, maybe 5. and a slightly newer bimmer possibly.

You guys are really harsh. I don't imagine I'll be posting about whatever practical beige-mobile I end up with next, although at this rate I'll be driving the Passat until it disintegrates into a pile of bolts.

You guys are really harsh. I don't imagine I'll be posting about whatever practical beige-mobile I end up with next, although at this rate I'll be driving the Passat until it disintegrates into a pile of bolts.

Getting a new car next week?

:drums:

Is it just me, or has every asshole driver traded in their old cars for a brand new Hyundai Sonata?

No, they're mostly still in their BMWs cutting people off and not signaling their intentions. :rolleyes:

Trucks/SUVs just get in the way most of the time. Just lumbering around. Get a faster car. ;)