2002 Honda Accord V6

CraigB

Ich bin ein Kartoffel
DONOR
Car(s)
Mustang SVO - Frontier Pro-4X - BRZ - D21 Hardbody
I haven't posted this car yet because it's just too boring. However I did something with it that I believe redeems it, Rally Cross.

Here it is sitting next to one of the more interesting entrants.

https://pic.armedcats.net/c/cr/craigb/2010/08/01/photo-50.jpg

I'll try to get an ownership photo up tomorrow.

Maybe a bit boring, but those Honda V6's are pretty good motors. The newer V6 coupes with the 6speed manuals are extremely quick cars.

BTW, you sure do seem to go through cars fast. Every time I come across one of your posts, you have different cars listed under your name. :p Well, besides the SVO Stang anyway.

Haha, loved the video.

Glad to see it being used properly :D

What kind of mileage does it have? And more crucially, what transmission? :p

I've seen 200+k miles on these cars, so enjoy the longevity.

That. Is.

AWESOME.

Holy crap, that looks like so much fun.

Doing un-boring things in boring cars = :wub:

:lol: I've actually been considering doing a rallycross in my Accord. But instead I convinced my friend to let me run his Supra :D

Nice. How's it handle on tarmac?
Pretty well for a 4-door family econosedan. Doesn't corner very quickly but feels decent. About as prone to understeer as my old 4th gen Maxima but it was a hell of a lot easier to get the back end out in the Nissan, whether on tarmac, gravel, or snow. I still give the handling advantage to the Honda though - its more fun somehow. My personal issue is that I've heatcycled the tires out so they have no grip left at all and squeal around almost every turn but this isn't my thread so I'll stfu

Last edited:
BTW, you sure do seem to go through cars fast. Every time I come across one of your posts, you have different cars listed under your name. :p Well, besides the SVO Stang anyway.

Honestly I can never make up my mind, I've considered getting a dealers license and actually make some money...

What kind of mileage does it have? And more crucially, what transmission? :p

Car has about 105k miles and an auto.

That. Is.

AWESOME.

Holy crap, that looks like so much fun.

Doing un-boring things in boring cars = :wub:

Thanks. :D

Nice. How's it handle on tarmac?

It's not bad, but understeers like a bitch. I'm trying to get an auto-x with it this Sunday.

:lol: I've actually been considering doing a rallycross in my Accord.

Do it.

Ok, little update on the car. It's now around 136k miles and doing alright.

Yesterday my wife called to say it wasn't running right. I got home, fired it up and sure enough, dead miss. I did some diagnostics and determine that one of the coils isn't firing. I sent her to get a new one and $70 (ouch) later its running just fine again.

However, it's starting to show major signs of the dreaded Honda automatic 2nd gear clutch pack death. On cold mornings it will slip badly from 1st to 2nd, unless you are very light on the throttle. Then once warm it will shift very harshly from 1st to 2nd.

I've talked with a friend of mine that rebuilds automatics and he pretty much confirmed that it's only a matter of time before it lets go. I'm hoping it last just a few more months until I can buy something else to DD, then I can take it to him to rebuild.

Last edited:
Ugh. My Accord has started to slip from 1st to 2nd as well. It only started about a month ago, but it seems to be getting worse quickly. I'm at 131k.

What tires do you have on yours? I have Goodyear Eagle GTs and they really help with the understeer. And then I switched out the sway bars for ones from the 2003 Acura TL Type S and that REALLY made it go away. They directly replace the OEM, but they're a lot thicker. A Honda/Acura shop here actually replaced them instead of using the Accord sway bars which they didn't have in stock.

Last edited:
To be honest the transmission slip started about a year ago and we've been driving it ever since. I've had to relearn how to drive it though to keep it from slipping or having a really harsh downshift.

I replaced the tires earlier this year with some Yokohama AVID TRZ. I bought them for longevity, not grip. We drive nearly 20k miles a year, so I'd like to get two years out of a set of tires.

Looks good. There are definitely some fun roads in NW Arkansas. What years of Accord are affected by that transmission problem?