Mafia II

GTA3: SA I didn't like a bit because it simply had too much useless time wasting content, from the gym to pimping cars, 3 types of hidden collectibles and all the rest of it. Apart from parachuting and maybe flying a jet it was just no fun, certainly not as much as in Vice City, also the atmosphere was really non-existent, I always see it as bundles of features.

GTA IV was good, but It's just needed to be "Bioware/Blizzard" polished, I get the feeling it was released undercooked. I played it on PS3 and PC. PC version was fine, excluding quite substantial hardware requirements, but that's really nothing. The PS3 version I though was just ill-optimized. Iffy gfx, fps drops, sometimes to what looked like 15-17fps during high speed driving through large crowded areas, inability to cheat?!

But that's all technical stuff. Gameplay-wise I though driving ppl to bars and stuff was just a waste of time. There weren't enough collectibles even comparing to VC, out of all interactive features only internal Internet was nice, story felt predictable after 15 minutes of playing. And how pissed I was when I discovered there were no Apache copter and no real tank. Overall it was the classic case of more realism - less fun, 0 replay value for me as it lost that arcade feeling.

Last edited:
My opinion on San Andreas is completely the opposite of yours, to each their own I guess. Also, this is getting off topic now, let's get back to Mafia II.

I've experienced bad lag on both the 360 and PS3 versions.

On another note, I recently reinstalled Mafia on my laptop. Good stuff there.

As for Mafia 2, I'm glad we're seeing some more footage, I was afraid this was going to get binned, but seeing as they've casual-ized it, there's no concern there.

I'll reserve judgment until I play this game, and I have been looking forward to this one for quite a while.

Mafia was one of my favourite PC games ever (along with Thief), so much so I bought it twice. I loved the almost frustrating realism of the cars, and how panicked you started to feel when you got up to any decent speed in them lest you crashed into something. It was great how your fuel would always run out if you shot holes in the tank. I loved how you could get speeding tickets .I loved the gunplay in the original too.

By watching the trailers it seems that it has been made a bit more friendly and a bit more of a spectacle based on the improvements in graphics engines since the original. I use the car blowing up while it's getting shot at as an example. It would be a bit sad if that occurred, but again, I'll be buying this game either way.

All the cars appear to be constructed purely out of dynamite in this game.

Video of some gameplay.

Looks good but from what I've seen PS3 owners are getting the oportunity to get a load of exclusive content that Xbox and PC owners 'aint getting, this irritates me. I have a PS3 but I'd far prefer to have Mafia II on PC as I prefer PC based control and the ease of use.

I'm hoping that in a worst case scenario PC and Xbox owners get it later, simillar to the GTA IV Xbox sellout.

They're doing a Collector's Edition for all platforms.

image-o-matic.x

It's supposed to be $20 more than the normal game, but I just pre-ordered mine and it was only $10 more; maybe it was a typo! :D

I got it from Future Shop for $59.99, while amazon.ca has it for $69.99.

The Maifa II website now has some interactive movies with character and vehicle details. :D

Last edited:
New trailer revealing the release date for the demo: August 10th! :D

Since this thread was created in 2007 when "some screenshots were disclosed" meaning they had their engine and graphics all set up, then I guess we're gonna see a long long campaign if it took them 3 years for what basically must be the script, story and missions...

I guess we're gonna see a long long campaign if it took them 3 years for what basically must be the script, story and missions...

The storyline of the original Mafia was phenomenal. I'm expecting something of similar length and depth for this game. Especially considering how much they are putting into hyping this game up before the release.

I should also mention that the demo will be released for all platforms (including PC!) :D

I read somewhere that the story will be around 15 hours. Not as long as GTA IV, but still a good length. :)

o_O
3 years to make 15 hours of gameplay?
Son, I am disappoint.

And yea I liked the original Mafia... though I got sort of bummed when the guy got shot at the end, why bother making me play the game? :p

Looks like a mix of Driver 2, GTA IV, and Hitman

:)

The atmosphere looks very interesting.