Best Android apps

I checked the GPS signal and it was fine! I even checked if 3G was on, so the GPS could be more accurate.
Maybe it?s a Galaxy S issue?

I always keep it on and when an app needs it, it's there. I don't think the app has the instructions to automatically turn on the gps when it needs it.

You people need to stop using passwords at home.

I have a friend who would incessantly bug me about this, when he'd come over and want to use my computer and he'd have to wait for me to log him on.

He shut up about it once some guys held him up at gunpoint and robbed him, taking his laptop too. Admittedly my desktop also has a password, but that too can be stolen.

Edit: But I do wish that app would not show all my files and folders. Even though I had to punch in my Windows login info, it's still making me slightly paranoid.

Last edited:
Galaxy S has major gps issues. It's why I went with the evo

I heard about that and the one I have supposedly had this fixed.
I would go as far as saying that GPSpeedo was the first app to give me trouble with GPS. Google Maps, aDyno, Foursquare, Twitter, Cardiotrainer, etc, have all worked without a glitch.:dunno:

Yeah speedview, which has extra features like distance covered and a speed graph, but I like the simplicity of GPSpeedo more.

I have a friend who would incessantly bug me about this, when he'd come over and want to use my computer and he'd have to wait for me to log him on.

He shut up about it once some guys held him up at gunpoint and robbed him, taking his laptop too. Admittedly my desktop also has a password, but that too can be stolen.

Edit: But I do wish that app would not show all my files and folders. Even though I had to punch in my Windows login info, it's still making me slightly paranoid.

You've got Windows Networking stup wrong. Turn off simple sharing and just share a folder to you username.

You've got Windows Networking stup wrong. Turn off simple sharing and just share a folder to you username.

Thanks, I shall look into that good sir.

Thanks, I shall look into that good sir.

Jesus, excuse the spelling mistakes, typing on a mobiles keyboard sucks.

I heard about that and the one I have supposedly had this fixed.
I would go as far as saying that GPSpeedo was the first app to give me trouble with GPS. Google Maps, aDyno, Foursquare, Twitter, Cardiotrainer, etc, have all worked without a glitch.:dunno:

Galaxy S models shipped with gps positioning by Skyhook turned off to avoid being hassled by Google over it like Motorola was with the Droid X. See here: http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/17/samsung-galaxy-s-gps-gate-two-problems-not-one-and-what-to-do/

I don't know if you tried it or not but it's a suggestion nonetheless: :)

Too bad it doesn't solve the whole "we put a crap gps chip in the thing to begin with" issue though. I was hoping Samsung would have learned from the absolutely horrible GPS chip they shoved into the Omnia i900/i910. I'd have to "prepare" for my trips by using a third party app to enable the gps and refresh it periodically. Then I had to set the phone outside for a good 15 minutes just to get a location lock so I could use Bing Turn by Turn Navigation.

Talk about inconvienent and it was very disheartening to hear that the Galaxy S line would suffer from the same fate, as I liked the Epic a lot but wasn't going to buy another device (esp. a new one) with a perpetually broken feature. :(

Thanks for the response. My phone has the option mentioned in the article ON by default. As per the hardware, I'm not sure if it had the same, because mine is the i9000B, so I guess it has some differences.
Today I tried some other apps with varying degrees of success. What I don't get is how google maps, for example, takes less than a minute to point exactly where I am, even if I ann indoors, and those speedometers take minutes to give me a reading.

Some of the speedos require a certain minimum number of satellites to be able to obtain an accurate reading, maybe?

2 new spunky apps found I have.

1) Search2Play

Search2Play is an app for rooted phones only. What it does is, it writes a new instruction in the basecode of android that allows phones with physical buttons (sorry capactive users) to pause and play their music player by pressing the search button (how this isn't a stock feature I have no idea). There is also a restore function if you don't like it. Sadly it won't work on a desire, since its root isn't 100%.

img.php

Search2Play free

img.php

Search2Play Donate

2) Point Inside 2.0

This app provides a map for airports and malls that makes it much easier to gain a sense of what is around. Point Inside will point out shops in locations now, and the company plans to expand into other areas. Read AndroidGuys article to see a list of places the map currently supports.

https://pic.armedcats.net/i/ic/icebone/2010/10/11/aa36-point-inside.jpg

appbrain link

Google Maps Navigation is surprisingly good, though it had some trouble finding the satellites initially, once it got going it worked exactly as expected and had some neat touches like auto-zooming to show the next turn, and showing a streetview picture of your destination at the end.

Me too.

Bah, I don't want your countries in my navigation.