Random Thoughts....

Alright, what is the thinking nowadays for resumes (especially for younger professionals)?

Is it still good to see longevity at a company? Or is that now an old way of thinking? Is lots of jumping around considered bad?

I just made the yummiest 'spicy' apple pie (the recipe called it spicy but it was only cinnamon) with ice cream :drool:

Alright, what is the thinking nowadays for resumes (especially for younger professionals)?

Is it still good to see longevity at a company? Or is that now an old way of thinking? Is lots of jumping around considered bad?

Longevity FTW.

This is based on my company though, and it's very much not an average company. We make sure our employees are not run into the ground, and thanks to dinosaur technology still being used at many of our customers we need some older/experienced employees that don't change all the time. After all, a bank does not change its transaction host systems all the time *points at Cobol, Natural, ...*

That being said, having seen several different environments is not a bad thing either... especially if there were motivations for switching beyond "meh, didn't like my co-workers".

Longevity FTW.

This is based on my company though, and it's very much not an average company. We make sure our employees are not run into the ground, and thanks to dinosaur technology still being used at many of our customers we need some older/experienced employees that don't change all the time. After all, a bank does not change its transaction host systems all the time *points at Cobol, Natural, ...*

That being said, having seen several different environments is not a bad thing either... especially if there were motivations for switching beyond "meh, didn't like my co-workers".

Hah, my father was in the IT department of a bank... and they still had some *really* old systems that he was working with for probably the last 20 years.

Yeah, I was just musing about that the other day. I mean, I grew up thinking that grasshoppering looked quite bad on a resume, but lately, due to the recent economic times, I personally really have no loyalty to any company.

I just made the yummiest 'spicy' apple pie (the recipe called it spicy but it was only cinnamon) with ice cream :drool:

Apples...nom! Mmm, I love making apple crumble... but I always have to remember not to put too much sugar into it that it becomes an apple crisp. :lol:

Depends what you consider jumping around, doing a role for 2+ years then switching to something else then no. Every 6 months or so then yes

Hah, my father was in the IT department of a bank... and they still had some *really* old systems that he was working with for probably the last 20 years.

...and after your father left the bank(?), the job of maintaining said systems went to us because the bank did not want to train a new employee with these skills or, even worse, hire an experienced (read: expensive) new employee.

http://www.prestigeproperty.co.uk/property/134498/French-Chateau-in-Creuse-Area-Creuse-23-France/

FG group buy anyone?

Make it the new FG base?

(yes, yes, I know its in France, but just look at the property!)

I'm in, However we's need sentry guns on it ASAP. And cannons, and tigers, and maybe RPG's for air attacks.

Let me put it this way, If you've been on a company for a good amount of time (3 years? I'm not really sure how much "Long" is in work placement) it means you were obviously doing something right because of globalization and the high turnover rate of this day and age. If however you've had very brief stays on different companies listed it gives you an aura of unstability(sp?). Corporations don't like that.

Last edited:
Depends what you consider jumping around, doing a role for 2+ years then switching to something else then no. Every 6 months or so then yes

At that it depends on what you do. Some industries are mostly short contracts and then you're out the door when the project's done and go work somewhere else for a while and repeat. Other industries you could stay at one place forever unless you decide to leave on your own.

At that it depends on what you do. Some industries are mostly short contracts and then you're out the door when the project's done and go work somewhere else for a while and repeat. Other industries you could stay at one place forever unless you decide to leave on your own.

If you're a contractor yes I would agree but then you would say that you've been a contractor for x number of years and that during that time you've been responsible for...

...and after your father left the bank(?), the job of maintaining said systems went to us because the bank did not want to train a new employee with these skills or, even worse, hire an experienced (read: expensive) new employee.
Outsourced, offshored my bet - bye bye with no "golden parchute" that the execs get.

Outsourced, offshored my bet - bye bye with no "golden parchute" that the execs get.

Least with my generation of IT workers, we knew that it was a distinct possibility - hence why I went into the 'business' side of IT rather than technical

Yes smart move _ I went up the food chain from developer to BA.

Still the possibility now exists for the heave ho - we have just been asked to take leave by the end of March or we are in the crapper - the US has already suffered and it would not surprise me if the Germans get away with it yet again. Still I am not bitter. ?

Five rounds rapid. ...

Last edited:
I was discussing with my mom today how in her younger years working shit retail jobs how if the roads were blocked by snow they didn't expect you to come in but now no matter what the condition and how unnecessary your job is (the example she used was her boss's daughter working at newbury comics) you have to come in no excuse, and I was just linked this:
job-fails-i-love-this-country.jpg

How am I not surprised.....

Mostly it's retirees. The tech may be up to 50 years old, lots of very skilled experienced people simply got old and retired. No need for golden parachutes. Outsourced, yes - typically not offshored though, at least in our case.
If you will it's the good kind of outsourcing. The job going away belonged to a retiree, the job stays in Germany, and the job goes to my company :lol:

Last edited:
Yes smart move _ I went up the food chain from developer to BA.

Still the possibility now exists for the heave ho - we have just been asked to take leave by the end of March or we are in the crapper - the uUS has already suffered and it would not surprise me if the Germans get away with it yet again. Still I am not bitter. ?

Five rounds rapid. ...

Do the English thing and come to Australia :p Good BA's are in strong demand

job-fails-i-love-this-country.jpg

How am I not surprised.....

Note on the German figures, many companies will grant you more annual leave. Many got 30 days, for example.
The 10 for paid holidays greatly depends on where you live. Each state has somewhat different inclusion of religious days, for example my home of Schleswig-Holstein ignores anything that sounds too catholic. Additionally, many paid holidays are set to be on a Sunday, so most don't benefit from them. Not counting the ones that always are on a weekend (Easter Sunday for example) I've got New Year's Day, Good Friday, Easter Monday, May Day, Ascension of Jesus, Whit Monday, Unity Day, Christmas Day, Boxing Day. Five may be on a weekend, four always are on a working day. On average that's 7.6 paid holidays a year. Schleswig-Holstein has got the lowest number of holidays, there are eight more that apply depending on state. In other words, together with Berlin, Bremen, Hamburg and Lower Saxony who share the same minimum holidays we're the least religious state :lol:

No, I'm not complaining :tease: 37.6 days per year is a good life. Also, I forgot to mention Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve. The're 50% holidays, so if I stay home for those I get -4 hours on my flextime / only need half a day of paid leave. Adding those with their chance of sitting on a weekend I'm at 38.3 days :tease:

Last edited:
Government of AUS tell me: Too old, had may family late - I'd love to come, I think Australia is a wonderful place.

Last edited:
I keep falling asleep :/

No, I'm not complaining :tease: 37.6 days per year is a good life. Also, I forgot to mention Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve. The're 50% holidays, so if I stay home for those I get -4 hours on my flextime / only need half a day of paid leave. Adding those with their chance of sitting on a weekend I'm at 38.3 days :tease:
At my last job I gave 2 months notice I couldn't work Easter because I was visiting family. They scheduled me anyway and fired me. They also suspended me for not being able to come in because there was a 2' blizzard and the plow hadn't come yet. They made me come in days I wasn't scheduled with threats of firing me for that too. I also noticed when I was working there a girl left on unpaid maternity leave and never came back. I have a feeling they fired her too.

Government of AUS tell me: Too old, had may family late - I'd love to come, I think Australia is a wonderful place.
But what of the spiders D:

At my last job I gave 2 months notice I couldn't work Easter because I was visiting family. They scheduled me anyway and fired me. They also suspended me for not being able to come in because there was a 2' blizzard and the plow hadn't come yet. They made me come in days I wasn't scheduled with threats of firing me for that too. I also noticed when I was working there a girl left on unpaid maternity leave and never came back. I have a feeling they fired her too.

:hug: