Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

I'm pretty sure they're leather, their lining is polyester though. It's like a very thin fleece.

That's probably it, then. My motorcycle gloves contain no such lining - and neither do most driving gloves.

I haven't found it to be an issue either, but my gloves were made from my enemies' own skin.

I must be losing my mind...

I have this irresistible urge to buy a Volvo wagon as my next car. How the hell do I go from wanting to replace my POS Cavalier with a Honda Civic/Ford Focus to wanting to replace it with a Volvo wagon, specifically the V70/XC70? How did I go from Honda Civic to Volvo 70? I DON'T EVEN HAVE KIDS YET!

I also want to take a fourth generation (2003-2009) Subaru Legacy wagon and throw out the Subaru flat, drop in a Coyote 5.0 (new Mustang V8) and convert it to rear wheel drive.

What is this fetish with wagons I've developed recently?

I'm going insane! :devil:

I haven't found it to be an issue either, but my gloves were made from my enemies' own skin.

I tried that, but 1) I ran out of enemies within personal and immediate reach and 2) human skin isn't very durable. :p

I have this irresistible urge to buy a Volvo wagon as my next car. How the hell do I go from wanting to replace my POS Cavalier with a Honda Civic/Ford Focus to wanting to replace it with a Volvo wagon, specifically the V70/XC70? How did I go from Honda Civic to Volvo 70? I DON'T EVEN HAVE KIDS YET!

I also want to take a fourth generation (2003-2009) Subaru Legacy wagon and throw out the Subaru flat, drop in a Coyote 5.0 (new Mustang V8) and convert it to rear wheel drive.

Go to your physician and have them check to make sure you don't have some weird hormone disorder, such as your testes suddenly producing estrogen or something. :p :mrgreen:

Last edited:

FYI acceptable Volvo Wagons are as follows: Any RWD volvo Wagon, V70 T5R, V70R (1st or 2nd Gen).

Have you considered enacting your RWD Legacy Wagon plan on an older RWD Volvo?

volvette_lg.jpg

TT LS1 + 740 Volvo Wagon + T56 == win on pretty much every level. Just replace LS1 with Coyote 5.0, T56 with TR-3650 and maybe TT with Kenny Belle 2.3L and you would have a damn fine grocery getter.

Last edited:
2012 Volvo S60 T5 walkaround competition tomorrow. Market winner gets 500 bucks and a trip to new York for regionals. Top two regional sales people get a 1000 dollars and another trip to NY plus can bring a guest.

Wish me luck

All I can picture is a bunch of sales reps speedwalking around a Volvo, but good luck! :p

So get something that makes that drive a bit more special. You know, worth driving just for driving's sake. :cool:

well, that would mean I have a nicer car to "waste" on a boring commute.... that's kind of the opposite of what I want to do...

Electric Smart Roadster it is, then?

That's a nice idea, couple of thoughts though

- they don't make roadsters anymore
- they never made an electric one
- nobody I know converts them to electric
- nobody in their right mind will take my slightly old, used and scratched Astra as a straight trade

aside from that I like your thinking

I tried that, but 1) I ran out of enemies within personal and immediate reach and 2) human skin isn't very durable. :p

Well make more enemies then, or move to Europe. :p

well, that would mean I have a nicer car to "waste" on a boring commute.... that's kind of the opposite of what I want to do...

By getting a worse car, you would be making the already boring commute into worse than what driving (an otherwise fine) diesel Astra is. It just makes very little sense - by your logic you've saved every car in the dealerships around the country as you've not bought them.

Get a Miata, pronto!

130 hp that I never get to use, 4 seats that are mostly empty, a boot that's never used....

+ all the diesel hauling it around ain't free you know
+ I'm taxed heavily because I have a powerful (hahah) car

etc....

ALL of the 130hp go to waste. Oh the humanity.

Not to mention all the spark and joie de vivre of BLASTING around in a 4-door diesel Opel.

I'm hoping I missed some cleverly hidden sarcasm here. Hey, I got an idea. Why don't you get a twin-turbo Hayabusa for your daily commute, and save the Opel for only the sunny Sundays and those more *special* occasions when you really want to enjoy your life?

Last edited:
hmmmm... i'm currently analysing my commute by using my Satnav, and have come to some conclusions based on the following

- distance : +- 60 kms (go there + get home combined)
- max speed : rarely above 100 kph
- average speed : rarely above 35 kph

I've taken 4 different routes so far and all of the above stays the same. So I'm basically wasting 2hrs of my life just covering 60 kms, and stopping alot along the route (whether it's the "take the highway and get in line" one or the "slightly more fun rural road but with tons of towny bits with lots of red lights" one)

so.... I'm SO wasting my car on this

I should get an electric smart :p

No, you should get a motorcycle.

Wagons are made of win.

Do you know how many Puffalumps I could fit into a turbobrick?! :drool:

ALL of the 130hp go to waste. Oh the humanity.

Not to mention all the spark and joie de vivre of BLASTING around in a 4-door diesel Opel.

I'm hoping I missed some cleverly hidden sarcasm here. Hey, I got an idea. Why don't you get a twin-turbo Hayabusa for your daily commute, and save the Opel for only the sunny Sundays and those more *special* occasions when you really want to enjoy your life?

you guys aren't getting it. It isn't about wasting the car, it's about wasting MONEY
I could get a faster more powerful one, but my commute would be the same and cost me more

you guys aren't getting it. It isn't about wasting the car, it's about wasting MONEY
I could get a faster more powerful one, but my commute would be the same and cost me more

Motorcycles are cheap and efficient. And you can reach 100% utilization with just one person on it. :D

^I know and I have already looked at that option

sadly I am not willing to spend 750? worth of fees on getting a licence just to be able to ride a bike
the bikes I am allowed to ride sans permit include anything less that 125cc and anything less that 10 hp, so fun is not an option

I need something cheap, small, fun................

I don't know, spending 750 to save literally thousands over the course of a couple of years or even a single year seems to be an excellent idea to me.