Best, currently in production, interior?

In the "reasonably priced" category... Probably that Fiat...

In the "expensive" category, probably Spyker:
2011-spyker-aileron-interior-1.jpg

In the "Keep dreamin', pal" category, probably Maybach.
maybach-62-zeppelin-interior-rear.jpg

sadly americans just can't grasp the idea of car interior design. they always go over the top, adding more buttons and trim pieces. then they make it worse by using the cheapest, nastiest materials < same for many nissans/ infinities as well. frankly if you want the most complete, well made interiors using the best materials, you have to get an expensive British or German car.

sadly americans just can't grasp the idea of car interior design. they always go over the top, adding more buttons and trim pieces. then they make it worse by using the cheapest, nastiest materials < same for many nissans/ infinities as well. frankly if you want the most complete, well made interiors using the best materials, you have to get an expensive British or German car.

I wouldn't go that far, I'd just say we peaked early.

https://pic.armedcats.net/c/cr/crazyjeeper/2011/03/21/2836708627_323436cbd5.jpg

Something to that.
800px-Duesenberg_Model_J_Derham_Tourster_%281933%29_interior.jpg

Duesenberg Model J Derham Tourster.

So what's Holden's excuse? :p Because there's some pretty nasty materials in places on some of their stuff.

Last edited:
Holden's a GM subsidiary,there's ya excuse.

Not a good one, because you Aussies assure us that they're all independently designed, etc., etc.

Also, re "American cars just add buttons" - I'm sorry, but no American car ever had anywhere near this many buttons.
up5-1.jpg

You can barely tell what color the trim is because of all the buttons!

Sorry, Europeans always out-buttoned us. Take a look at this Saab:
9000%2Binterior005.jpg

My parents had an early 9000 Turbo from new. I don't think we were ever able to figure out what half the buttons actually did. Well, other than blow fuses and cause the car to overheat or stop running. There were a lot that did that.

As for the Germans... why don't you ask Der Stig about how well his BMW is put together? We recently partialy dismantled his interior to fix some problems, and what we found under those panels (and indeed, on the panels themselves) was shocking.

Last edited:
Cheers for the generalisation.

No problem, just returning the generalizations upthread. Isn't this fun? :p

British cars aren't immune to buttonitis either. My own XJR doesn't exactly have a low button count.

Last edited:
I think it may be way to distracting with all the lights and buttons.

Actually the S-Class is lit very modest and tasteful at night, compared to other cars. That's what I like about it -- you don't feel like you're on a fairground.

The longer exposure in the picture I posted, makes it look a bit brighter than it actually is.

Last edited:
I haven't been in enough cars to make a choice, but I do notice that I prefer driver-centric interiors:

to symmetrical ones:

I also, like the new Taurus...it looks just so American. In a good way.
3644281010_fa55782d10.jpg

Probably due to my current car, I'm a sucker for clean black plastic:

https://pic.armedcats.net/t/th/thevictor390/2009/08/20/DSC00671.JPG

Actually that brings forward another point, photography is pretty important, I don't like the way my own car looks in that picture.

EDIT:

I find myself continually going back to drool over this Ferrari, so there's my decision:

2010-ferrari-458-italia-interior-view1.jpg

It's like a racing space ship.

Sorry for all the pictures but I felt my statements needed the context.

Last edited:
Looking at the Taurus up there... wouldn't that little sharp looking shelf piece hurt like hell if the airbags didn't deploy and you were tall?

I'd say if you crash at enough speed to bang your head to the dashboard, and your airbag doesn't deploy, and you're not wearing your seatbelt, you're fucked regardless of the shape of the dashboard.

Last edited:
I'd say if you crash at enough speed to bang your head to the dashboard, and your airbag doesn't deploy, and you're not wearing your seatbelt, you're fucked regardless of the shape of the dashboard.

It's also about preventing whiplash....

One that we've forgot is the Saab interiors. Yes, there's a bit of GM involved, but there's egg-crate vents and NIGHT PANEL:

night.jpg

I love the Night Panel in mine. It even kills the lights on half the speedo so there is the absolute bare minimum of lights on the dash. It also helps to hide the fact that it has more screens than a space shuttle command centre.
This is what you end up with apart from you can also kill the illumination on the km/h scale.

2783991452_5819e4e159.jpg

Last edited:
There is something so inherently aeroplaneish about that Saab interior. In a brilliant way. I've for some reason been a sucker for the current gen S-class interior for as long as it has been out. Also, the Audi A7 and A8 interiors are great. I don't think the interiors in lower end Audis are so nice though, for example the interior in my cousin's A5 functions really well but seems somehow bland aesthetically...

And regarding that 600 SEC dash someone posted, I think that truly represents some of the worst interior design seen in European luxury cars. The interior of those things is the sole reason I'm put off from that generation S-Classes, SLs and CLs.