Ah, finally a car that runs...

I know exactly what you mean about steering feel, can't wait to get my summer tires back on (most likely this weekend).

Sure the rims could be more interesting, but you can't say they don't fit the car.

That is kind of hard to achieve with it being broken and currently being rebuilt and such :p

That's why he sells his BMW (and one of his kidneys) to expedite its reconstruction.

I know exactly what you mean about steering feel, can't wait to get my summer tires back on (most likely this weekend).

Yeah, the difference to the winter set is huge, but I was trying to compare them to my previous set of summer wheels, which if I remember correctly (and I think I do) made the handling really vague and boring.

Now I'm feeling like I can "lean" on the tyres with some confidence in a bend, if you know what I mean. I'm not talking about driving on the limit, but just that it makes the car feel a lot less like a 1.5 tonn lump of metal that it is.

Ahh, reading all this makes me miss my 5er :(

About those rims, I think they really suit the car!

Yeah, the difference to the winter set is huge, but I was trying to compare them to my previous set of summer wheels, which if I remember correctly (and I think I do) made the handling really vague and boring.

Now I'm feeling like I can "lean" on the tyres with some confidence in a bend, if you know what I mean. I'm not talking about driving on the limit, but just that it makes the car feel a lot less like a 1.5 tonn lump of metal that it is.

If I tell you that my winters (Hankook Winter I*Cept Evo) had better steering feel and grip levels than the Michelin Energy Saver summers I had on it, you know why I didn't take the C round the ring last ringmeet :)

It's a good thing I got rid of the Energy Savers for Bridgestone Turanzas, then.

Those "energy saving" tyres are just epic crap. The 406 had Continental EcoContact 2s on the steelies when I bought it (swapped for alloys with better rubber in a week), and much later I destroyed the Continentals in couple of laps at a track day.
small

They didn't melt. They didn't wear. Huge chunks of rubber just quitted their job and detached from the profile. They were also dangerously slippery even in the dry tarmac. And on the wet? Well, 5mins after I bought the car I thought cultch was slipping when revs rise in 3rd gear with constant throttle, but no. I had just driven over a puddle.

Went to a DIY box at the service station to change oil. I use them because there's a lift, which makes it handy, but mostly because there's a barrel to dump old oil into, too much trouble with disposing if I do it at home.

And I did this when re-installing the drain plug:

:wall:

Well, had to leave the car there, went home to watch f1. Today I got a new bolt and a left-hand threaded bolt extractor kit, and got the bloody thing out.

Managed to reach in there without lifting the car. It was raining too, so that was a bit distracting... The bolt is hollow and is designed to fail before the thread gets damaged, I guess. Luckily didn't have to drill anything. So everything went better than expected :)