Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

That sucks CJ. Do monitors die that often or did you just get unlucky twice over?

On the upside TN panels are dirt cheap nao... but more or less passe tech.

I think I was just unlucky. The first was a Samsung 216 which I've already had repaired under warranty once and the second was a really old Dell 4:3 17" which I got for free. I think now I'm just going to use my CRT and wait until I get some money together and get some lovely S-IPS panels which should be a little bit better built.

I've been playing with a Nokia E71 for a day or so and I absolutely love it. The physical keyboard is beautifully laid out and Symbian is the perfect OS for non-touch phones. Battery life is also much more impressive than that of my HD2 (no surprise there with the smaller screen and 1500 mAh battery).

Interesting thing- Someone in one of my random classes in high school had a Razr (well I had one too, but that's another story) that she had as a replacement for her smartphone that she killed by dropping in the sink while she was washing her face or something like that. So apparently a week after she got the Razr she dropped it in the toilet and abused it, yet it still kept going on just fine. But other Razrs I've heard of broke quite easily too, so it was interesting that she had a practically indestructible one. xD (She hated the thing too. I think she purposely tried killing it.)

I've been playing with a Nokia E71 for a day or so and I absolutely love it. The physical keyboard is beautifully laid out and Symbian is the perfect OS for non-touch phones. Battery life is also much more impressive than that of my HD2 (no surprise there with the smaller screen and 1500 mAh battery).
It really is a shame Nokia couldn't keep up with the iPhonization of the smartphone market, they made some nice stuff.

It really is a shame Nokia couldn't keep up with the iPhonization of the smartphone market, they made some nice stuff.

If there was a E71 that ran Android, I'd be there. Android after all was designed with non touchscreen use in mind, in fact, a non touchscreen portrait Qwerty was the prototype device:
androidlive.JPG

Motorola has a feature phone based on a minimal build of Android on Sprint/Nextel. Non touchscreen yet very interesting:

Sprint-launching-rugged-phone-Motorola-i866.jpg

If there was a E71 that ran Android, I'd be there. Android after all was designed with non touchscreen use in mind, in fact, a non touchscreen portrait Qwerty was the prototype device:
androidlive.JPG

Motorola has a feature phone based on a minimal build of Android on Sprint/Nextel. Non touchscreen yet very interesting:

Sprint-launching-rugged-phone-Motorola-i866.jpg

Actually there were two Android prototypes, I forget the name of the first one (the one with a kbd) but the one we actually saw was the Dream which was always meant to have a touch screen. The reason why we never saw the other one is the iPhone, Google understood that they would not have been able break into the market with a BB clone**.

The thing that makes me sad about Nokia is that they had a very good and stable platform already but they failed to introduce the features they needed to in order to compete with iPhone/Android. Now they are going to be just another hardware maker and running WP7 software at that... What's worse is that they already had 3rd party developers and if they were to introduce some of the features of Android/iOS and an App Store they could have actually been a viable competitor. (Considering they are very popular in EU they already had a good mindshare and carrier contracts)

**I recently finished reading "In the Plex" among other things it talked about how Android got started.

At the risk of sounding a bit of a creep, I need to see someone's photos on facebook even though they are set to private.

The reason I ask is that I met a new friend on Friday in london, who asked me to add him on Facebook, there are two people with the name from London, one has a cartoon as his display picture and the other a night club advertisement and I want to be sure I'm adding the right one!

Actually there were two Android prototypes, I forget the name of the first one (the one with a kbd) but the one we actually saw was the Dream which was always meant to have a touch screen. The reason why we never saw the other one is the iPhone, Google understood that they would not have been able break into the market with a BB clone**.

:nod:

Have you read Steven Levy's book In the Plex or seen interviews by him about the book recently? ;)

Apparently the touchscreen Google phone was supposed to debut quite a while after the Blackberry-esque model, but thanks to Eric Schmidt being on the board at Apple they quickly realized how uncompetitive their non-touchscreen phone would be in a post-iPhone world.

Steven Levy says one day Steve Jobs takes a detour to Mountain View and insists to get a look at the Dream prototype phone, which makes him go "insanely" mad and eventually force Schmidt off of Apple's board. Poor Steve Jobs, history keeps repeating itself for him, this is basically the exact same story that we had 30 years ago with Jobs letting Bill Gates in on his Macintosh prototypes and then became furious at Gates for allegedly ripping off his as yet unreleased product.

:nod:

Have you read Steven Levy's book In the Plex or seen interviews by him about the book recently? ;)

Apparently the touchscreen Google phone was supposed to debut quite a while after the Blackberry-esque model, but thanks to Eric Schmidt being on the board at Apple they quickly realized how uncompetitive their non-touchscreen phone would be in a post-iPhone world.

Steven Levy says one day Steve Jobs takes a detour to Mountain View and insists to get a look at the Dream prototype phone, which makes him go "insanely" mad and eventually force Schmidt off of Apple's board. Poor Steve Jobs, history keeps repeating itself for him, this is basically the exact same story that we had 30 years ago with Jobs letting Bill Gates in on his Macintosh prototypes and then became furious at Gates for allegedly ripping off his as yet unreleased product.
Lol did you miss my little footnote?

What the BROWN!?
http://www.networkworld.com/news/2011/050211-european-legislators-consider-net-filter.html

In February, at a secret meeting of the Council of the European Union's Law Enforcement Work Party (LEWP), politicians discussed plans to create a "virtual Schengen border" (the Schengen area is the common passport area within the E.U.) with ISPs required to block "illicit content" from outside the area. The Council of the European Union is the E.U.'s central legislative and decision-making body.

There has been no clarification as to what this "illicit content" might be, merely that there would be an E.U. blacklist. The plan has been compared to China's heavy-handed methods in controlling access to the Web.

"This proposal will be used as a justification of every repressive measure by every undemocratic regime in every part of the world. Even the discussion of the project legitimizes this profoundly illegitimate suggestion," said Joe McNamee of European digital rights group EDRi on Monday. "Most absurd of all, despite all of the costs in terms of democracy, freedom of speech and even the economy, there is no analysis of any benefit or expected benefit that, even mistakenly, the architects of this madness expect to outweigh the cost."...

Now I'm on a working internet connection I'd like to get something off my chest.

Fuck you Virgin Media.

That is all.