Ford Mustang with a WWII Sherman tank engine

Ok, I see that I am outnumbered and there's no point in arguing anymore. I just don't understand why some people became personal by offending me. I haven't insulted anyone of you, I just tried to make my point that this car is going to be awful. I guess we'll never find out who was right.

You don't seem to consider that he's not just going to leave the stock motor in there.

It no longer needs to run on any kind of fuel they can get their hands on, or has to survive much longer than a run down the strip. Essentially it's completely ok if it is on the absolute limit of destruction...

Now imagine, just how much nitrous, and supercharged air you can throw down it's 1100 cubic inches, especially since it's running alcohol. Here's a clue, a 426 hemi on alcohol, built correctly, can produce several THOUSAND horsepower with just a supercharger... And they are no where near as massive as these things are. I'd love to see how thick the cylinder walls are.

Last edited:
Hang on a second, I didn't say that drag racing requires no skill at all. It's just a lot easier than rally driving for example.

No, you said:

There was a time that I also liked drag racing, but now I see that it's stupid and doesn't reflect the actual skills of the driver or the car.

So either you are saying drag racing requires no skill, or there is no way you can determine the skill level of someone who is drag racing. :?

Question - I have never been in your position before, but does it suck to have 10 people call you stupid as fast as it has happened in this thread? I am by no means a smartie, but...wow. We arent really insulting you if the remarks ring true.

(Admitedlly, I feel like an ass right now, but man you are thick.)

Yeah it kind of sucks mate:) I'm stubborn by nature.
What I wanted to say is that, even not that good of drivers can go fast in a straight line (e.g. James May, Richard Hammond who are good drivers but not compared to the Stig for example or any Rally driver). I still feel that Rally racing and F1 are much more exciting than drag racing.

Okay, here's my 2 cents woth of opinion:

Who fucking cares if the cars have an actual use? I like them just for the sheer madness of putting a tank engine in a Mustang (or a Rover or any other car). Does everything everyone does need to have a function?

Last edited:
...or a 1400hp reliable motor?
I wish I could find it now, but I remember an article in Chevy High-Performance about an aftermarket engine based on the BBC that was making 1000hp, normally aspirated on pump gas. Dunno if that monster would fire up everyday, but it did run on 91 octane.

HighVoltage, just because you don't enjoy drag racing doesn't mean that it sucks or requires no skill. Personally I do think rally drivers are the most talented, but i'd love to see you pilot an 8000hp fuel car down the quater mile. It's not just, "hop in and stand on it!" like you do when driving a 19 second Accord.

Insane idea...in that it is unique and will most certainly out-size the guy in the other lane.

But, I was always under the impression that very large engines with torque twice or sometimes three or four times its horsepower were used to muscle lots of weight around (aka Tank, trailer, etc.) not for high speed production. Their reliable RPM limit is usually very low, between 2000 and 3000. Obviously this will not work for the drag strip so I'm guessing he's done a LOT of precision engine machining and balancing to increase its redline RPM far beyond factory specs. Otherwise it'll take a long, long time to cross the finish line. Torque and horsepower is great, but weight and crank speed is also very important.

Their reliable RPM limit is usually very low, between 2000 and 3000. Obviously this will not work for the drag strip so I'm guessing he's done a LOT of precision engine machining and balancing to increase its redline RPM far beyond factory specs. Otherwise it'll take a long, long time to cross the finish line. Torque and horsepower is great, but weight and crank speed is also very important.
Some short gears will cure that ;) .

I'd love to see someone try to get that road legal in Norway. :lol:

GREAT!

Stupid...like a fox!

You don't seem to consider that he's not just going to leave the stock motor in there.

It no longer needs to run on any kind of fuel they can get their hands on, or has to survive much longer than a run down the strip. Essentially it's completely ok if it is on the absolute limit of destruction...

Now imagine, just how much nitrous, and supercharged air you can throw down it's 1100 cubic inches, especially since it's running alcohol. Here's a clue, a 426 hemi on alcohol, built correctly, can produce several THOUSAND horsepower with just a supercharger... And they are no where near as massive as these things are. I'd love to see how thick the cylinder walls are.

Bingo. That engine was designed for durability and practicality...you could probably tear it down with an 8-piece ratchet set. Those baseline power/torque figures are just the beginning. That engine could easily be bored out, and with some custom fabrication, 2-3000 horsepower should be seen without a problem. To the haters: this is being built in someone's shed, with their own money. How can you not admire that? This is how all the true performance marques started out. We wouldn't have Pagani, Koeniggsegg, Lamborghini or a multitude of others if it wasn't for innovation.

Holy crap...

Engines looking wow!, How big will the fuel TANK be? :lol:

Engines looking wow!, How big will the fuel TANK be? :lol:
Rofl, or the radiator? That thing is bad ass. I bet you could get that street legal in Kansas, the VIN would just have to match the title lol.

I want one.;)

With that much engine you can expect to rebuild the clutch about once a week.